Phone interview after an in-person interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmers_Pharming

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed in-person for position last week. The panel asked the usual behavioral/situational/clinical questions. I stumbled on one of the clinical questions, and told the panel I would get back to them. When I got home from the interview, I wrote an email thanking them for their time and the answer to my question. A couple days later I got an email for a 2nd interview via phone.

Is it unusual to get a phone interview after an in-person interview? Anyone have similar experience? I am not sure what to expect at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

It is unusual, but not unheard of. I wouldn't fret about it- they are still communicating with you, which is a good thing!

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't mind me asking, what was the clinical question? I'm just curious as to what they expected you to know, that you wouldn't know as a Pharmacist. Pharmacy schools are heavily clinical based now. Either way, I think you'll be fine. If they are giving you a second interview, that means you weren't dismissed right off the bat. Good luck, you'll do fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is unusual. I don't know your situation. But I suppose it can happen if someone higher up just wants to speak w/ you briefly and it's a hassle for you to drive or whatnot.

My opinion is they're wasting their time. If they can't tell whether they want to hire you after an in-person interview, another phone call won't make their decision any better.

This happened to me once. I had interviewed for a research pharmacist position at a cancer hospital. I wasn't really qualified and had in fact applied to a clinical-staff type job, so I was caught off guard when I arrived for the interview. The two managers that interviewed me were nurses and I knew just enough to convince them I was capable. They called a few days later and said I was their pick, HR reached out and had me start submitting some forms, etc. Then they scheduled one last call with the physician in charge of the entire program and my entire house of cards came crashing down. What little I knew of research was based around peds oncology and I clearly had no experience in the adult world. After that phone call the job offer was rescinded.

It was kind of funny. Hell, all I wanted to do was prepare chemo in the fancy new hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for everyone for your replies. For those that may encounter a similar situation in the future, my 2nd phone interview was a Q/A on my clinical recommendation + additional information on the position. Shortly after the interview I got an offer letter.

For the clinical question, I had to apply results from a study to defend my recommendation -- something I don't think my pharmacy school education stressed enough.

Reactions: 1 user