PhORCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From the program directors I've talked to they say the PhORCAS format is somewhat difficult to read and they will more than likely look at you CV (which can include all the other things PhORCAS does not want on the presentation section).

I think an advantage to the programs is with PhORCAS they can sort some of the information we fill into the PhORCAS database?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question - Are you including your Match ID number on your CV? I believe PhORCAS states they will include it on all applications to programs that are participating in PhORCAS but I was curious your thought? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just realized that even though I uploaded my CV, phorcas still doesn't have the yellow filled square next to that section showing its complete... anyone know whats going on?

Also my transcript is still not posted! what is it suppose to look like when it's posted? on the status tab, it says they received my transcript, does that mean i'm safe?

I believe you need to use PDF and make one document that contains all the forms you want to upload for that program.

Thanks, I tried but the file was too large, I just emailed the program and they told me to submit the projects directly to them.

Here is the other problem I just encountered. I submitted and went to pay and all my cards have an expiration date of 2017, which is not an option to pay, so now I cant submit my applications. So I guess now I have to wait until Wednesday when they open their call center...

Wish this system would disappear, I would rather go through the hassle of mailing things to each program.

I just realized that even though I uploaded my CV, phorcas still doesn't have the yellow filled square next to that section showing its complete... anyone know whats going on?

Also my transcript is still not posted! what is it suppose to look like when it's posted? on the status tab, it says they received my transcript, does that mean i'm safe?

If the status says they are received then you are fine.

Find this program that merges PDF files together, so you can upload supplements to PhORCAS. You may have to convert them again after you merge them with the other program.

http://www.pdfmerge.com/

Here's hoping santa brings us all many interviews :thumbup:

:thumbup:

I just submitted everything. I feel like a weight has been lifted (although I'm slightly freaking out that I messed something up). I'm just really glad to be done with forms and letters and phorcas though. Now, I can enjoy the rest of my vacation. Happy Holidays everyone! :)

Here's hoping santa brings us all many interviews :thumbup:

Sorry for being incredibly stupid, but after submitting thru PhORCAS, we need to wait for the programs to contact us for interviews, right? Just making sure b/c the "Residency Checklist" on the ASHP website listed "Schedule on-site inteviews" as part of the to-do's in December.

Again, apologies for the dumbness but just want to make sure I'm not missing some vital part of the application process. I submitted 3 min before Xmas Eve and it felt great to be off that burden....but now I'm all :scared: do i need to call and demand interviews?! :scared: i'm so freaked out, i created a username just to ask my stupid question.... thank you and hope everyone's having a relaxing holiday break.

Sorry for being incredibly stupid, but after submitting thru PhORCAS, we need to wait for the programs to contact us for interviews, right? Just making sure b/c the "Residency Checklist" on the ASHP website listed "Schedule on-site inteviews" as part of the to-do's in December.

Again, apologies for the dumbness but just want to make sure I'm not missing some vital part of the application process. I submitted 3 min before Xmas Eve and it felt great to be off that burden....but now I'm all :scared: do i need to call and demand interviews?! :scared: i'm so freaked out, i created a username just to ask my stupid question.... thank you and hope everyone's having a relaxing holiday break.

Yeah it works like any other job. Programs will contact you for interviews. Even if you're rejected, most programs will contact you and tell you that. I did send e-mails to some programs to verify whether they received my complete application, but that's because some of my letter writers were incredibly slow last year.

Yup, programs will contact you if they want to interview you. Lol..I couldn't imagine 100 candidates trying to call us to demand interviews.

With all the PhORCAS issues this year, do you guys think it's a bad idea to email the programs to make sure they have your completed application? I'm sure programs are swamped with apps and emails, so I don't want to bother them unnecessarily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally Posted by Deja:

If the status says they are received then you are fine.

Also, I'm not sure if someone has stated this in the long thread yet, but once you click on the status tab, you can put your cursor over "transcripts" or "references" and then click on them. It will tell you what transcripts have been received and when as well as what references have submitted their information. Hope this helps!

With all the PhORCAS issues this year, do you guys think it's a bad idea to email the programs to make sure they have your completed application? I'm sure programs are swamped with apps and emails, so I don't want to bother them unnecessarily.

Well I have emailed some programs, mostly because of the issues with PhORCAS. From what I understand If you submitted today, PhORCAS wont be open until tomorrow, and they have to process your application first, on their website they say that if you submit during these days that it will take longer to process. Personally, I have lost faith in this system, so I would email the program(s) a couple of days before the deadline just to make sure they have everything.

Well I have emailed some programs, mostly because of the issues with PhORCAS. From what I understand If you submitted today, PhORCAS wont be open until tomorrow, and they have to process your application first, on their website they say that if you submit during these days that it will take longer to process. Personally, I have lost faith in this system, so I would email the program(s) a couple of days before the deadline just to make sure they have everything.
This is frustrating because one RD I know said they would not be responding to emails about whether they received your application because PhORCAS should be able to tell you that. They said their email was already swamped with program specific questions which were more important. I understand wanting to email them and double check though.

Hopefully PhORCAS won't mess us up. If you payed and a program doesn't get your app then technically you should be able to get your money back.

My only issue is making sure one of my references uploaded a letter. I called PhORCAS and she said she checked but it couldn't show her whether a letter was uploaded. I think as a change for next year it should be included in the automated email when the reference is submitted if a letter was attached. It would relieve applicants and reduce the amount of call they receive.

Also on the phone with them I told her a switched two cover letters out with new ones I uploaded because I saw you could still edit to programs already submitted too. I was being OCD and wanted to do a format change since I saw the edit button there. Im not sure if the new letters will be included or old doesn't really matter to me. But she did say they are trying to remove the edit button and checked to see if I had messed anything up by doing that change she said didn't see any problems.

You are not allowed to change anything once you have submitted your application. I am not sure why PhORCAS had the edit button available but it says in multiple places you cannot change your application materials once you submitted.

I do not think it is a good idea to email programs asking if they got your application. Although I am anxious that my applications will arrive safely, I am fairly confident that once you pay for your application, it goes to the site. Emailing the RD could just make you look bad to the program and possibly cost you an interview.

I decided not to email as I'm pretty sure they're getting enough emails as it is.

I read some of you guys shrink your CV down to 3-4 pages, how many pages of CV is the max? I been told 6-8 pages but I can't see how one can shrink your cv that short without descriptions. I only have 3 line per rotations and I don't have any description for anything else.

SUBMIT YOUR STUFF!!! Now! What are you waiting for?

We've offered a few interviews today and our deadline is next week.

My only issue is making sure one of my references uploaded a letter. I called PhORCAS and she said she checked but it couldn't show her whether a letter was uploaded. I think as a change for next year it should be included in the automated email when the reference is submitted if a letter was attached. It would relieve applicants and reduce the amount of call they receive.

As a letter writer, I got a confirmation that my reference was uploaded and complete.

BOO! I didn't receive any invites yet (submitted last friday? but still have 1 LOR out on all but two sites) and here I was idealistically thinking programs were waiting for the deadlines. Consider my hopes and dreams crushed :p

Glad I got my stuff in the other day. I'd probably be freaking out by now. :laugh:

As a letter writer, I got a confirmation that my reference was uploaded and complete.
PhORCAS could not confirm whether a letter was uploaded.....so I got in contact with reference writer and he said he was having problems uploading the letter but submitted everything else so no letter was uploaded and I guess he wasn't going to say anything to me...

He's going to redo it but if I went by PhORCAS I'd have no letter from him and be screwed. Glad I emailed him to double check.

10 apps submitted

i have good stats but i don't know if 10 is enough

PhORCAS could not confirm whether a letter was uploaded.....so I got in contact with reference writer and he said he was having problems uploading the letter but submitted everything else so no letter was uploaded and I guess he wasn't going to say anything to me...

He's going to redo it but if I went by PhORCAS I'd have no letter from him and be screwed. Glad I emailed him to double check.

He can email the letter to phorcas and they can upload it for him even after he submitted it.

BOO! I didn't receive any invites yet (submitted last friday? but still have 1 LOR out on all but two sites) and here I was idealistically thinking programs were waiting for the deadlines. Consider my hopes and dreams crushed :p

You didn't apply to my program. The few we offered had completed applications and we knew them from either rotation or internship. My guess is everything is going to get submitted the last day or 2.

Quick question- Does LOR writer have to upload a separate letter or is it program specific? One of my references had trouble uploading her letter and the programs I'm applying to don't specifically address this.

Good luck everyone!

Quick question- Does LOR writer have to upload a separate letter or is it program specific? One of my references had trouble uploading her letter and the programs I'm applying to don't specifically address this.

Good luck everyone!

Pretty much every program I applied to wanted a letter uploaded. If your programs don't mention it and just say standard form, it may be okay. If he's having trouble uploading, he can email phorcas and they'll upload it for him. Some other suggestions, try a different browser or make sure the file is the right format (pdf or .doc not .docx). Also, I uploaded instructions above if people are having trouble uploading pdfs. He might not want to go through the hassle, but that helped me a lot with my upload issues.

Thank you so much! I am glad I stopped by sdn before submitting my application. And I thought I was done dealing with phorcas ;).

Is it a good idea to leave the extracurricular section blank as I already included all my activities in my CV?

Thank you so much! I am glad I stopped by sdn before submitting my application. And I thought I was done dealing with phorcas ;).

Is it a good idea to leave the extracurricular section blank as I already included all my activities in my CV?

I went ahead and filled in that section. I figured it wouldn't hurt to take the time to do that.

can anyone comment on this from a program's standpoint:

if the app is sent in by the deadline, but a LOR has not been submitted, when uploaded by the writer, will they get a notification for it?

if the app is sent in by the deadline, but a LOR has not been submitted, when uploaded by the writer, will they get a notification for it?

Depending on the program. Many programs will regard the app as incomplete and not look at it. Some will send you an e-mail 1-2 days before the deadline that it's incomplete, and that the LOR needs to be postmarked by the deadline.

Your application will be in the submitted/incomplete pool until the letter is uploaded. What a program chooses to do with this is going to be up to them.

Your application will be in the submitted/incomplete pool until the letter is uploaded. What a program chooses to do with this is going to be up to them.

I know my program and a few others have always given leeway with respect to LOR's, especially since there's a new system in place. But I guess it just supersedes the whole "lost in the mail" thing.

I am hoping that our applications won't be marked as incomplete if everything's received by the deadline except transcripts. :(

I am hoping that our applications won't be marked as incomplete if everything's received by the deadline except transcripts. :(

I was told by PhORCAS that your application will be marked as submitted but not complete. However, my transcript was just sent out by my school on Thursday and was up on PhORCAS today so there is still hope they will get uploaded in time.

I was told by PhORCAS that your application will be marked as submitted but not complete. However, my transcript was just sent out by my school on Thursday and was up on PhORCAS today so there is still hope they will get uploaded in time.

That's encouraging! Yeah I'm hoping my transcript will get posted soon. Mine was sent out last Friday.

I did call and harass them yesterday-not sure if that helped. I have classmates who had their transcripts sent out on the same day and theirs are not posted.

I did call and harass them yesterday-not sure if that helped. I have classmates who had their transcripts sent out on the same day and theirs are not posted.

I'm really hoping we can trust the "Status" tag on PhORCAS. According to that, 2 of my schools submitted multiple transcripts (one sent 3, the other sent 4) which is rather bizarre since requesting transcripts cost money and I only requested 1 copy. But having multiple is better than having none arrive at all.

None of the programs I applied to had a supplement requirement on their info page, but one program just emailed me requesting a professional writing sample. Did this happen to anyone else?

Thanks to the replies to my interview question earlier! I was thisclose to contacting them, if only to see if they got my application, but after everyone's replies, decided against it.

Just an FYI I just got this in an e-mail

" Based on numerous feedback from students and applicants about PhORCAS, I would encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible and not wait until the deadline to avoid technical glitches and last minute delays with PhORCAS. We’re also learning more and more about PhORCAS and some if the issues that have come to light. We’ve seen cases where applicants indicated they’ve submitted but the application is either delayed or not coming through on our end. I’ve reported the issue to PhORCAS. In light of this please let me know when you actually submit an application so I can be sure to be on the lookout for it. "

Anyone contacting programs after they submit to verify delivery?

Just an FYI I just got this in an e-mail

" Based on numerous feedback from students and applicants about PhORCAS, I would encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible and not wait until the deadline to avoid technical glitches and last minute delays with PhORCAS. We’re also learning more and more about PhORCAS and some if the issues that have come to light. We’ve seen cases where applicants indicated they’ve submitted but the application is either delayed or not coming through on our end. I’ve reported the issue to PhORCAS. In light of this please let me know when you actually submit an application so I can be sure to be on the lookout for it. "

Anyone contacting programs after they submit to verify delivery?

I thought about it, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I don't think it's going to get to the programs instantly after you submit. PhORCAS processes it, whatever that means.

I am a little confused with phorcas. If I submit to a site that has a deadline of tomorrow, can I then upload other letters of intent afterwards and submit to other sites later? Or do I need to upload all of my letters of intent at once? Cn someone who has submitted help explain this to me a little better?

Thanks!

I was told by PhORCAS that your application will be marked as submitted but not complete.

This is true...Phorcas shows us 2 different "Applicant Pools." They are labeled as "Submitted" and "Completed." You can look at your submitted applicants, but they may be missing a few documents. The completed pool has everything uploaded.

I am a little confused with phorcas. If I submit to a site that has a deadline of tomorrow, can I then upload other letters of intent afterwards and submit to other sites later? Or do I need to upload all of my letters of intent at once? Cn someone who has submitted help explain this to me a little better?

Thanks!

You can submit per program. I believe you'll have to take off all the designated places except for the ones you will like to submit to. Submit your application, and then add back in other places that you want to apply.

Whew...finally starting to get some good applicants! Keep it coming!

Has anyone received this error message while trying to pay for designations? "Some of your designations have expired, please return to designations page to remove them." This is occurring even though the application is due in 3 days. The other issue is that PhORCAS states that any expired designations are removed automatically, so this shouldn't be happening.

This is a big issue because they are not available until 1/2/13 and that is when the application is due.

Has anyone received this error message while trying to pay for designations? "Some of your designations have expired, please return to designations page to remove them." This is occurring even though the application is due in 3 days. The other issue is that PhORCAS states that any expired designations are removed automatically, so this shouldn't be happening.

This is a big issue because they are not available until 1/2/13 and that is when the application is due.

I am having this exact same issue and I am panicking because I have no idea how to address this issue with them not being available until the 2nd. Anyone that can help would be of huge relief!