PhORCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a little confused with phorcas. If I submit to a site that has a deadline of tomorrow, can I then upload other letters of intent afterwards and submit to other sites later? Or do I need to upload all of my letters of intent at once? Cn someone who has submitted help explain this to me a little better?

Thanks!

I'm wondering the same!

Can I upload other LOI after my first submission?

PhORCAS states "once you E-Submit your application, NO changes can be made to any section other then your personal data."

If this is true, it defeats allow us to apply to more residency sites if we can't update Letter of Intent and Supplemental materials

:(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering the same!

Can I upload other LOI after my first submission?

PhORCAS states "once you E-Submit your application, NO changes can be made to any section other then your personal data."

If this is true, it defeats allow us to apply to more residency sites if we can't update Letter of Intent and Supplemental materials

:(

I haven't e-submitted yet, but here's what my friends told me: only put down the designations you want to submit for now; so if you're applying for 10 programs but are ready to submit 2, go ahead and remove those other 8 programs (does this make sense?) You can then add those programs back when you're ready to e-submit again. :)

I haven't e-submitted yet, but here's what my friends told me: only put down the designations you want to submit for now; so if you're applying for 10 programs but are ready to submit 2, go ahead and remove those other 8 programs (does this make sense?) You can then add those programs back when you're ready to e-submit again. :)

Here is the problem that everyone is having though that no one can seem to answer. what you said is exactly right, and it will let you go back in and submit more LOI and so on, however, if one of the deadlines you submitted passes, when you go to submit others it will give you an error saying "please remove expired designations" and will not let you proceed.

Members don't see this ad :)

What you're saying makes sense to me.

Are you saying, I can submit for 2 programs first and then, add 8 personalized LOIs for the other 8 programs I will submit at a later time?

Bottom line, can I still edit supplemental and letter of intent sections after submission?

thanks

I have been uploading PDFs with no glitches.

I have also been able to edit submitted applications. Specifically, I have been able to change letter of recommendation selections for submitted applications, prior to them being complete.

What you're saying makes sense to me.

Are you saying, I can submit for 2 programs first and then, add 8 personalized LOIs for the other 8 programs I will submit at a later time?

Bottom line, can I still edit supplemental and letter of intent sections after submission?

thanks

On the site, it still let's you edit stuff that you already submitted but I believe someone talked to PhORCAS and was told that edit button is an error. Once you submit for the designated site, you're not supposed to be able to go back and change stuff. Even though it's allowing you to right now, they might not get any of the new information that you added after you submitted.

Here is the problem that everyone is having though that no one can seem to answer. what you said is exactly right, and it will let you go back in and submit more LOI and so on, however, if one of the deadlines you submitted passes, when you go to submit others it will give you an error saying "please remove expired designations" and will not let you proceed.

I have two designations that are due tomorrow and not I am stuck as well. PhorCAS is closed until Wednesday so am I just going to lose those two programs? Anyone has the same problem that has solutions???

On the site, it still let's you edit stuff that you already submitted but I believe someone talked to PhORCAS and was told that edit button is an error. Once you submit for the designated site, you're not supposed to be able to go back and change stuff. Even though it's allowing you to right now, they might not get any of the new information that you added after you submitted.

I was able to submit tonight. Also, was able to go back and edit, but Goldfish said, I'm not 100% sure any of the info edited after submission will go through.

Oh my goodness. Thanks for the heads up! I think we need an emergency telephone line for PhORCAS. I know I am calling them first thing Wednesday to bug about my transcript.

I have two designations that are due tomorrow and not I am stuck as well. PhorCAS is closed until Wednesday so am I just going to lose those two programs? Anyone has the same problem that has solutions???

Maybe you can contact the programs and let them know about your situation? Most likely a lot of people are in the same boat.

I was able to submit tonight. Also, was able to go back and edit, but Goldfish said, I'm not 100% sure any of the info edited after submission will go through.
I was told by PhORCAS that they tell you not to change anything already submitted because you don't know if the programs have looked or saved anything you had up there.

He specifically told me they only see what you have attached to their program. They don't have a history of documents attached shown it's whatever you have attached at the time when they log on. He made it seem like the issue was more of an applicant having conflicting documents. For example if the program looks at your LOI on Tuesday then you put a new one up Wednesday. Thursday if they log on and look and see it's different they may be confused or annoyed that you are changing things.

I made an editing change to two of my LOI after submission but the change is so small and it was the next day so I'm not worried about it anymore but I was freaking out and called. That's when they told me the information above. I saw the edit button still there so I thought they had now allowed you to change things because the edit button was gone in the extracurricular section but not in Programs submitted.

Yeah this is one of the few situations I would say email the RD and let he or she know your application is complete and you can't upload it on PhORCAS.

Last edited:
I also need to call Wednesday because one of my reference writers could not upload their letter and emailed it to PhOCAS Friday around 7:30 pm. They've been closed since then so I want to know if they received it. :smuggrin:

I don't understand why my other reference writers had no problems uploading. The one that did I sent him the upload instructions and he still couldn't upload it. I don't know if it was him or PhORCAS that was messing up.

Members don't see this ad :)
It appears that there is another glitch in PhORCAS. I am trying to apply to a program that has an application deadline of 1/1/13 (11:59pm EST), however, when trying to add this program to my designations, it comes up as "Closed". In fact, if you try to add any program on the same day as the deadline, it will not let you. My friend however, added this program to his profile a few days ago, and he can still apply to it. This sucks because I really wanted to apply to this particular place and PhORCAS is closed until tomorrow...

There is a problem! I had 3 programs in my designations with a deadline of 11:59pm EST on 1/1/13 but now they're gone and say closed!!! Of course PhorCAS is closed tomorrow. I emailed each program to notify them I tried to submit on 12/31/12 but it had already early.

Did you have those 3 programs already in your designations or are you trying to add them now? Like I said, it won't let you add them on the same day of the programs deadline. My friend has 2 programs due 11:59 EST on 1/1/13 and they are still in his designations and he can attach documents/references/etc. I will let you know if is successful in submitting. He is trying to finish up a letter of intent.

Yes, they were already in my designations but when i entered my payment information to submit the materials last night i received an error msg saying one of my deadlines had closed and to remove the program. Which is a mistake bc i should have until 11:59 pm EST tonight (1/1/13).

Ok, so my friend was able to submit for the program that is due today. However, you still cannot add the program as a designation to apply for if you had not done so previously.

This is so frustrating. I had the programs in my designations for more >1 week and attached the appropriate materials but after I entered my credit card number, I got an error message saying I could not proceed because the deadline had past and it still won't let me submit, saying the programs are closed. :(

This is so frustrating. I had the programs in my designations for more >1 week and attached the appropriate materials but after I entered my credit card number, I got an error message saying I could not proceed because the deadline had past and it still won't let me submit, saying the programs are closed. :(

:( I haven't submitted yet, but I'm getting paranoid from all the problems that have been popping up. Hopefully when PhORCAS opens tomorrow they will fix those problems!

Just so I am understanding correctly. If I E-Submit to one program today. Tomorrow I will be able to go in and upload another LOI for a different program with different deadline date? Is that correct?

Thanks for you help!

Just so I am understanding correctly. If I E-Submit to one program today. Tomorrow I will be able to go in and upload another LOI for a different program with different deadline date? Is that correct?

Thanks for you help!

Correct.

--Garfield3d

Anyone figure out how to resolve this problem? I am on hold with Phorcas right now...finally 4th in line after 20 minutes of nonstop ringing....

Anyone figure out how to resolve this problem? I am on hold with Phorcas right now...finally 4th in line after 20 minutes of nonstop ringing....

After being on hold for 30 minutes I was told, "I'm not really sure what the issue is. We can try and get back to you by the end of the day, but we can't make any promises."

When I said ,"Are you aware I've now lost out on programs and am at risk of losing more today?" they replied, "I'll try to call you by the end of the day, if not most likely tomorrow."

Let me know if you here anything.

So I just got off the phone with them. Friday is the earliest they will have my reference writer's letter uploaded that he emailed to them last Friday because he couldn't upload it.

I feel like I'm missing out on interview invites because of this. Everything else for me has been completed. I just need this one letter uploaded to his reference :smuggrin:

After being on hold for 30 minutes I was told, "I'm not really sure what the issue is. We can try and get back to you by the end of the day, but we can't make any promises."

When I said ,"Are you aware I've now lost out on programs and am at risk of losing more today?" they replied, "I'll try to call you by the end of the day, if not most likely tomorrow."

Let me know if you here anything.
That sucks. Did you email any RD about the issue and if so did they respond?

I'm really curious what programs are going to do next year. This whole thing was a hot mess. People shouldn't be losing out on opportunities because of this. My friend is freaking out he won't get a residency now because he requested transcripts about 3 weeks ago, and they're still not posted. I really hope people get it worked out and can submit with no further problems. :(

I'm really curious what programs are going to do next year. This whole thing was a hot mess. People shouldn't be losing out on opportunities because of this. My friend is freaking out he won't get a residency now because he requested transcripts about 3 weeks ago, and they're still not posted. I really hope people get it worked out and can submit with no further problems. :(

The transcript issue is a weird one. Some people mailed theirs out 3-4 weeks ago - not posted yet. Some mailed theirs out last week - posted.

Hi everyone - I had the same issue regarding the payment not going through and the system telling me that my designations had been expired etc. I just tried it again and everything went through ok! Looks like they fixed the bug! :D

The early bird catches the worm.

The second rat gets the cheese?

The transcript issue is a weird one. Some people mailed theirs out 3-4 weeks ago - not posted yet. Some mailed theirs out last week - posted.

A lot of school registrars close during Winter Break. Some people who sent in their transcript requests a week or two ago may be stuck with their request sitting on the desk of a closed office right now. It's also possible that some people did not send in the PhORCAS form with their transcript request (ie: A lot of people used the online clearinghouse website or sent in their school's request form without the PhORCAS print out).

For me, I went to the USPS office on Dec. 10 and my transcripts popped up on PhORCAS on Dec. 19.

--Garfield3d

Did anyone apply to any VA residencies? if so, how did you guys sign the supplemental PDF forms? or did you not sign at all? I electronically signed one but the other one won't let me

Did anyone apply to any VA residencies? if so, how did you guys sign the supplemental PDF forms? or did you not sign at all? I electronically signed one but the other one won't let me

I think I already posted this. If you applied to our VA, the residency director is letting applicants bring in VA forms to the onsite interview if they are chosen for one. I would contact the residency director and see what they say.

In light of current events, thanks again Karm :thumbup::)

I want you guys to succeed. Last minute stuff is no way to impress a program - I hate residents who do everything last minute!

See all the headaches I saved you!

I hate that we have to be guinea pigs for this new system! I called phorcas a month ago because I had a feeling 2 of my preceptors who are technologically challenged did not upload the document for references. When I called the woman who answered said "well if they said they did it, they did." And now 1 of my programs is saying that both preceptors did not upload the reference letter!
I just wrote to both of my preceptors to email it to phorcas so they can upload it properly! Hopefully they read the emails soon :( !!

Let me get this straight, so PhORCAS is not able to tell you if a reference letter was uploaded... and can we choose what ever references we have on file to apply to a program or are each reference is specific to a particular program. i.e. Can i send reference X that i originally requested for program X to program Z.
thanks in advance

I think I already posted this. If you applied to our VA, the residency director is letting applicants bring in VA forms to the onsite interview if they are chosen for one. I would contact the residency director and see what they say.

Yep, I contacted one and they said it's fine for now, I was suprised at how fast she got back to me... still haven't heard anything from another one and I emailed them last week :cool:

U r in VA? they don't have any ambulatory position for you? I remembered reading that you are looking for one, any luck?

Let me get this straight, so PhORCAS is not able to tell you if a reference letter was uploaded... and can we choose what ever references we have on file to apply to a program or are each reference is specific to a particular program. i.e. Can i send reference X that i originally requested for program X to program Z.
thanks in advance

You can, as long as your reference X does not have a specific program name written somewhere.

thanks in advance

PhORCAS can tell you if a letter has been uploaded or not. The first time I called, they said they couldn't tell me. They were just like "If they said they uploaded it, it is uploaded". I just called back and spoke with someone else after I heard they got their technical problems resolved. The person I then spoke with said my reference writers uploaded a letter or not.

I want you guys to succeed. Last minute stuff is no way to impress a program - I hate residents who do everything last minute!

See all the headaches I saved you!
I agree and disagree with this, although it is "last minute" there should be no issues submitting stuff if it's before the deadline.

I'm not the type of person who does everything weeks in advance just because i'm a nervous wreck, there's a time for everything and this is the time for sending in my applications. If phorcas cannot get on the ball and post my transcripts on time (even though they were sent weeks ago) then they're not holding up their end of the bargain.

w/e though. I've been on hold for 40 minutes trying to talk to someone, we'll see.

I agree and disagree with this, although it is "last minute" there should be no issues submitting stuff if it's before the deadline.

I'm not the type of person who does everything weeks in advance just because i'm a nervous wreck, there's a time for everything and this is the time for sending in my applications. If phorcas cannot get on the ball and post my transcripts on time (even though they were sent weeks ago) then they're not holding up their end of the bargain.

w/e though. I've been on hold for 40 minutes trying to talk to someone, we'll see.

Certainly if everything is in by the deadline then when you submit in my opinion it doesn't matter. But if a program has to choose between someone that uploaded early and figured out the kinks before the deadline vs. someone that waited to the deadline and had problems, which do you think they'll be more interested in?

Certainly if everything is in by the deadline then when you submit in my opinion it doesn't matter. But if a program has to choose between someone that uploaded early and figured out the kinks before the deadline vs. someone that waited to the deadline and had problems, which do you think they'll be more interested in?
I agree, it does look bad on me that I'm struggling to get all this in, at this point I just have to ride it out and see what happens.

I've been told by several programs that they send out interview invites prior to their deadline and they encourage students to submit early. I really believe there is an advantage to submitting early and I think that submitting before the holidays was the best thing to do in order to impress programs.

I've been told by several programs that they send out interview invites prior to their deadline and they encourage students to submit early. I really believe there is an advantage to submitting early and I think that submitting before the holidays was the best thing to do in order to impress programs.
I agree, but in my case I had to do a little bit of extra research before being 100% on the ball.

I just wanted to report to everyone about transcripts. Mine was mailed on 12-14. As the 2nd, nothing was posted. I emailed them and they emailed me a standard copy paste off the faq. I asked them again TODAY about the transcript and I was told they would check but nothing was there as of right now (this is still via email because after 1.5hrs of ringing, no one was answering the phone).

By 4pm, I saw my transcript was posted with a date received of 12-27. In other words, they had this for a few days before finally posting. So if any of you are worried, just know that it takes them time to update it in their system...a lot of time.

Good luck!

Just submitted! So glad the whole PhORCAS thing is over. I actually didn't have too much trouble with it but one of my reference writers did but was able to resolve it.

I do have a question, though. I had no problems uploading any of my materials but whenever I click the blue view button next to it, I can't see them. I can see them on my computer but PhORCAS brings up an error when I try to view them through their system. Does that happen for anyone else?

Just submitted! So glad the whole PhORCAS thing is over. I actually didn't have too much trouble with it but one of my reference writers did but was able to resolve it.

I do have a question, though. I had no problems uploading any of my materials but whenever I click the blue view button next to it, I can't see them. I can see them on my computer but PhORCAS brings up an error when I try to view them through their system. Does that happen for anyone else?
if you're having technical phorcas issues, just try using IExplorer

it doesn't work in google chrome
it works fine when i click it in IE, it let's you download the file and open with pdf reader

Yep, I contacted one and they said it's fine for now, I was suprised at how fast she got back to me... still haven't heard anything from another one and I emailed them last week :cool:

U r in VA? they don't have any ambulatory position for you? I remembered reading that you are looking for one, any luck?

I'm not even dead-set on ambulatory care anymore. I like the work done in am care, but I dislike the excessive amount of note-writing (much more so than in acute care). I'm applying to both inpatient and outpatient positions. Unfortunately the VA is not hiring much nowadays. Our VA is currently not hiring. USAjobs has some positions at other VAs, but not too many. Besides, most of those places have their own residents.