PhORCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you guys add signatures to your letters of intent? I can get the file uploaded with the instructions PhORCAS gave me (I had to download some recommended PDF converter) but it won't let me upload if I add an electronic signature to the file.

Members don't see this ad.

Nevermind, I figured it out. I can convert the pdf with the signature once again with the pdfconverter and that will upload it (in case anyone else was having issues).

Submit your stuff, students!

We were planning on doing a first sort today since our first interviews are planned for mid January, but only had 1 completed application and 2 others that were submitted, but waiting for transcripts or LOR.

Also, it is to your advantage to ask your recommendation letter writers to submit an additional letter instead of just the Phorcas generic form. Writing 1 sentence in a box doesn't help me much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having issues uploading my .pdf What type of adobe did you upload that worked? I'm thinking of cut and paste the screen to the .doc which actually worked when I uploaded it. I just feel like .pdf document is better. Any suggestions?

I'm having issues uploading my .pdf What type of adobe did you upload that worked? I'm thinking of cut and paste the screen to the .doc which actually worked when I uploaded it. I just feel like .pdf document is better. Any suggestions?

Here are the instructions that PhORCAS gave me for PDFs:

Downloading the PDF Generator

1. Google “pdf995” (should be first search result)
2. Select “download now”
3. Download both the “Pdf995 Printer Driver” and the “Free Converter”

Uploading a file using this

1. Click File, Click Print.
2. Select the drop down box for “Name” and select “PDF9995”
3. Select ok (this will not print it)
4. Save the file with a new name – Do Not click on any buttons on the pop up
that will appear. Let it run it’s process.
5. Upload new file

If you do anything to the file after you've converted it (adding an electronic signature), you'll have to convert it again using the above steps. That should work. Good luck! :)

Thank you so much!!! I will definitely do this :)

I heard the system is a big cluster****. I hope they are more lenient this year with applications.

You heard correct. :laugh: It's one hot mess. They should let it be free this first year. :D

I heard the system is a big cluster****. I hope they are more lenient this year with applications.

Understatement. For instance, one program I'm applying to specifically states "DO NOT SEND LETTERS". They only want reference contact info. Phorcas won't let you submit without selecting reference send outs.

Here are the instructions that PhORCAS gave me for PDFs:

Downloading the PDF Generator

1. Google "pdf995" (should be first search result)
2. Select "download now"
3. Download both the "Pdf995 Printer Driver" and the "Free Converter"

Uploading a file using this

1. Click File, Click Print.
2. Select the drop down box for "Name" and select "PDF9995"
3. Select ok (this will not print it)
4. Save the file with a new name – Do Not click on any buttons on the pop up
that will appear. Let it run it's process.
5. Upload new file

If you do anything to the file after you've converted it (adding an electronic signature), you'll have to convert it again using the above steps. That should work. Good luck! :)

Your method works. Not sure why it makes a difference,

Your method works. Not sure why it makes a difference,

Those are the instructions they gave me. I don't know why this works over other ways to upload the file. I'm just happy it works. Although, I wasn't too happy downloading this program. It looks kind of sketchy. :p

Does anyone know how to submit for each program?
I've selected all the programs I want to apply to and I'm trying to submit application for one of my programs. When I click on e-submit, it says I have not completed uploading documents for other programs, which is obviously true since I'm not trying to e-submit to those programs. I have completed uploading everything for that one program but PhoRCAS won't let me proceed to payment section without uploading documents for ALL the programs. Does anyone know how to e-submit to a specific program? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to submit for each program?
I've selected all the programs I want to apply to and I'm trying to submit application for one of my programs. When I click on e-submit, it says I have not completed uploading documents for other programs, which is obviously true since I'm not trying to e-submit to those programs. I have completed uploading everything for that one program but PhoRCAS won't let me proceed to payment section without uploading documents for ALL the programs. Does anyone know how to e-submit to a specific program? Thanks!!!
I have the same question! I wanted to submit an application tonight but PhORCAS makes it sound like they want you to submit everything all at once and you cannot make any changes. If that's the case why would they only let you add program designations to your application??? If everything has to be upload and no changes can be made, why wouldn't I just submit all my applications? Help!

I was always under the impression that you had to submit everything all at once?

I believe you can submit multiple times for each program. Otherwise, there would be just one deadline for all programs. I just can't figure out how to submit for each program...

FYI....I just submitted my first application! Whoo hoo! Here is the email I received from PhORCAS, they explain it much better than the FAQ section on the website:

PhORCAS would like to remind you of the benefit of submitting your application early. Submitting your application before your designated programs deadline dates will ensure a smooth application process. Programs will have access to view your application and begin reviewing it before transcripts and references have submitted. Any transcripts or references received after you submit your application will be updated to your designated programs. Please keep in mind with holidays coming up, registrar offices may be closing. Put in requests for your transcripts before the holiday break.

Also, it is important to know that you do not need to submit your applications to all of your designated programs at once. After you submit your application, you will still be able to log in, upload documents, and designate new programs.

I went back into PhORCAS to make sure after I submitted and it appears you can still upload and change a few things. However, you cannot change things under the "extracurricular" etc. But you can still upload letters of intent, add a newer version of your CV and such.

Hope this helps!

FYI....I just submitted my first application! Whoo hoo! Here is the email I received from PhORCAS, they explain it much better than the FAQ section on the website:

PhORCAS would like to remind you of the benefit of submitting your application early. Submitting your application before your designated programs deadline dates will ensure a smooth application process. Programs will have access to view your application and begin reviewing it before transcripts and references have submitted. Any transcripts or references received after you submit your application will be updated to your designated programs. Please keep in mind with holidays coming up, registrar offices may be closing. Put in requests for your transcripts before the holiday break.

Also, it is important to know that you do not need to submit your applications to all of your designated programs at once. After you submit your application, you will still be able to log in, upload documents, and designate new programs.

I went back into PhORCAS to make sure after I submitted and it appears you can still upload and change a few things. However, you cannot change things under the "extracurricular" etc. But you can still upload letters of intent, add a newer version of your CV and such.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information. I'll probably start submitting tonight then. I'm almost done. I just want to read each LOI and make sure the grammar and everything is correct.

Hope this helps!
I got the same email but I still don't understand how to submit each application separately. how did you get through the e-submit part? It won't let me get through since I don't have documents uploaded for my other programs. Did you get any email after you've submitted your application saying that it's been submitted?

I can't figure out how to do electronic signature!! I'm not savy with these type of things. I can upload pdf files fine. I have a scanner so I'm thinking about just printing it out hand signing it and then scaning the signed document.

I'm getting frustrated....

SN: For the presentation section under extracurricular did you guys put all presentations you've done? At first I just had my research I presented at a symposium but then I started thinking do they want like journal clubs, dz state presentations from rotations???

I can't figure out how to do electronic signature!! I'm not savy with these type of things. I can upload pdf files fine. I have a scanner so I'm thinking about just printing it out hand signing it and then scaning the signed document.

I'm getting frustrated....

SN: For the presentation section under extracurricular did you guys put all presentations you've done? At first I just had my research I presented at a symposium but then I started thinking do they want like journal clubs, dz state presentations from rotations???

For the presentations on PHORCAS, they state to only put up presentations you didn't do in class or on rotations.

For electronic signatures: In the PDF, there is a toolbar. In the toolbar, there is a pen signing a piece of paper. Click on that. When you click it, a panel on the right will appear. Click on the down arrow next to place signature. You can use a computer font for your signature or you can use your mouse to make the signature (may be a little messy). Hope that helps and isn't too confusing. :)

For the presentations on PHORCAS, they state to only put up presentations you didn't do in class or on rotations.

For electronic signatures: In the PDF, there is a toolbar. In the toolbar, there is a pen signing a piece of paper. Click on that. When you click it, a panel on the right will appear. Click on the down arrow next to place signature. You can use a computer font for your signature or you can use your mouse to make the signature (may be a little messy). Hope that helps and isn't too confusing. :)

That's gonna screw people over. People will put presentations they've done on rotations, as has been traditionally done, and it'll look like those people have more presentations. I'm not gonna say to go against what PhORCAS says for their fill-in boxes, but I would say leave in-services you've done on rotations in your CV, but not journal clubs.

I got the same email but I still don't understand how to submit each application separately. how did you get through the e-submit part? It won't let me get through since I don't have documents uploaded for my other programs. Did you get any email after you've submitted your application saying that it's been submitted?

Maybe delete all your designations except the ones you want to submit for now. After submitting, go back and add your other designations?

That's gonna screw people over. People will put presentations they've done on rotations, as has been traditionally done, and it'll look like those people have more presentations. I'm not gonna say to go against what PhORCAS says for their fill-in boxes, but I would say leave in-services you've done on rotations in your CV, but not journal clubs.

Yeah, I figured since programs will see my CV, I'll be okay with not putting any of my other presentations down.

From a program stand point the fill in portion of Phorcas is hard to read, so I doubt we'll be taking much from that. It is easier to navigate on your actual CV

Yeah, I thought about that. Thanks... but I was afraid I might have to ask my references for submitting their letters again. I'm sure there is an easier way but I don't know why it's so hard for me to figure out... I already missed my deadline..

Maybe delete all your designations except the ones you want to submit for now. After submitting, go back and add your other designations?

Yeah, I figured since programs will see my CV, I'll be okay with not putting any of my other presentations down.
Yeah, I thought about that. Thanks... but I was afraid I might have to ask my references for submitting their letters again. I'm sure there is an easier way but I don't know why it's so hard for me to figure out... I already missed my deadline..

Thanks!

But now I'm trying to upload supplemental VA forms and they won't upload. They are in pdf form. I even uploaded my CV in pdf form just to see if it would upload and it took it. But none of the VA forms in pdf form will upload....??

Thanks!

But now I'm trying to upload supplemental VA forms and they won't upload. They are in pdf form. I even uploaded my CV in pdf form just to see if it would upload and it took it. But none of the VA forms in pdf form will upload....??

Once you sign, you have to convert it again using that pdf converted (instructions above) to get it to upload. It's a pain, but it's the only way I found for it to work.

Once you sign, you have to convert it again using that pdf converted (instructions above) to get it to upload. It's a pain, but it's the only way I found for it to work.
Thanks again!

But I see you can only add 1 supplemental document to a designated program...that sucks. One of my programs wants 2 VA forms.

Due to Karm and her pharmacy peer pressure, I submitted today. I feel like I'm putting out feelers for a prom date :laugh:

Everything? I have 3 completed so far. I want to submit all at once. We'll see how I feel in a few hours. 7 more to go...

Yup, everything. I have a supplemental to complete that is separate from the phorcas website and still waiting on one letter writer.

Jelly. :p

I technically have everything finished. I went through everything last night to make sure no errors were made except for my letter of intents. I'm going through each letter one by one. It's a pain. I'm so tired of reading everything, but I don't want to make any mistakes. I was dreaming about my letters last night. :laugh:

Thanks!

Talk to the RPD. Ours is aware of this issue, and is willing to have applicants hand the VA forms to her at the interview, if they receive one.

Dear Foreign Applicants-

Please make sure the institution you are applying to sponors VISA's if you need one to work in the US. Tha majority of pharmacy residency programs do not.

Please do not waste your time and money sending applications when we cannot accept you as a candidate because you are not able to work in the US. Pharmacy residents are paid employees of the insititution, not there as a student.

Good read: http://www.ashp.org/menu/News/PharmacyNews/NewsArticle.aspx?id=3688

Sincerely-
Karm and other program directors

Last edited:
Due to Karm and her pharmacy peer pressure, I submitted today. I feel like I'm putting out feelers for a prom date :laugh:

lol, you could have waited until after Christmas, no one is in the office looking at your apps until at least 12/26.

lol, you could have waited until after Christmas, no one is in the office looking at your apps until at least 12/26.

:laugh: That's what I figured. Guess I'll be submitting all at once.

not about PhorCas but was wondering how many residencies are ppl applying to this year? I always heard 7 or 8 but this year I heard my classmates are talking about applying to 12 or 14 o_O im thinking about applying to more too

Where is the best place to double check for additional requirements for each program? The ASHP residency directory requirements section? There is a lot of variance between each program's website and ASHP "profile."

not about PhorCas but was wondering how many residencies are ppl applying to this year? I always heard 7 or 8 but this year I heard my classmates are talking about applying to 12 or 14 o_O im thinking about applying to more too

I'm applying to 10 programs. I've been hearing you should apply to at least 6.

Where is the best place to double check for additional requirements for each program? The ASHP residency directory requirements section? There is a lot of variance between each program's website and ASHP "profile."

I go by what the program site says. ASHP doesn't have all the information available for what should go in PHORCAS.

12...and my last supplemental is done :smuggrin:

Just me and margaritas for the rest of this month! Ok, maybe by margaritas I mean data collection forms, but it'll still be good times all around :)

i have 12 now too... but I also put in some managed care residency....=/

Did anyone have trouble adding supplemental documents??? I have a couple of programs that have 3 or 4 supplemental docs they want. I uploaded them all but when I try to assign it to a program it only allows me to select ONE supplemental doc....PLEASE HELP!!

Did anyone have trouble adding supplemental documents??? I have a couple of programs that have 3 or 4 supplemental docs they want. I uploaded them all but when I try to assign it to a program it only allows me to select ONE supplemental doc....PLEASE HELP!!

I believe you need to use PDF and make one document that contains all the forms you want to upload for that program.

Will it be okay if my LOR will only upload one general LOR i.e. To whom it may concern? I feel like this is better than having them upload to a specific title?? Doesn't it take so much time to type on each section already + uploading than all over again and again???

I did not. I believe when you are filing out that portion it says to NOT include that information. They want presentations etc that go beyond classroom and rotation experience...so your research is mainly what I included.

I had to delete all the programs I already had designated and just leave the one program I was submitting you. So I understand it that when you are ready to submit application (one, two, all etc) PhORCAS forces you to submit all the applications you have designated at the same time. So if you are not ready to submit an application to a site then just don't designate it until you are ready.