Photo for Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLsurf05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything about it when I searched.

For applications that ask for a photo, should I dress nicely, or is just a normal (non-collared) shirt okay? I already printed the picture, and I wasn't really thinking about what I was wearing in it. My hair pretty much covers up the shirt collar anyway, but I don't want to make a bad impression by wearing a t-shirt. Should I redo the picture and wear something nicer, like a Polo shirt or something? What did you guys wear for the pictures you sent?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was a picture of me reclining on the hood of a Dodge Neon.

Okay, while I do own that picture, the one I put on my apps was me, dressed normally. I took it with my digital camera in my dining room. It's pretty much from the neck up so I wasn't concerned about wearing a t-shirt. I think they know we wear those on occassion.

FLsurf05 said:
Hey, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything about it when I searched.

For applications that ask for a photo, should I dress nicely, or is just a normal (non-collared) shirt okay? I already printed the picture, and I wasn't really thinking about what I was wearing in it. My hair pretty much covers up the shirt collar anyway, but I don't want to make a bad impression by wearing a t-shirt. Should I redo the picture and wear something nicer, like a Polo shirt or something? What did you guys wear for the pictures you sent?

Mine was basically a giant head-shot with barely visible collars.

Members don't see this ad :)
FLsurf05 said:

Mine was a 6x4 picture of me playing soccer with a red arrow pointing to me. :laugh:

Any normal passport size photo will be fine.

Two words:

Tasteful

Nudity

Mine was a picture of me with Rigoberta Menchu, except I cut her off.

wear a shirt with buttons. THe picture isn't going to help you no matter what, but you don't want to look like a jacka$$ that isn't serious.

star22 said:
Mine was a picture of me with Rigoberta Menchu, except I cut her off.
I heard in US Weekly about that bad break-up. So sorry.

Something like
MAIN-PIC.GIF

or
L_366219599QKJSqy_ph.jpg

Your picture is fine. So long as the admissions committee doesn't see something to make fun of, you should be fine. One girl did send a semi-nude photo of herself from a party to my school. She didn't receive an interview.

happydays said:
Something like
MAIN-PIC.GIF

or
L_366219599QKJSqy_ph.jpg

I love the blonde's expression in the second photo - like "God, it's so much work for me to stand here while you wrench this food out of my cleavage."

funny. Hopefully these are premed girls because all the white premed girls at my school are ugly. The higher the courses I take the more ugly the white women get, and the hotter the asian women get--plus at this point there are twice as many of them. All the hot white girls either flunked out or are HDFS majors (human develoment and family science??). I guess that's a state school for ya.

not that there is anything wrong with asian girls--HOT

Members don't see this ad :)
OrganLibrarian said:
I love the blonde's expression in the second photo - like "God, it's so much work for me to stand here while you wrench this food out of my cleavage."
Looks like a Ritz cracker.

i does look like a ritz cracker, now that I stare at it like a perv. :D

Mine was a terrible passport picture from AAA, not wearing anything special, just a polo as I remember.

Hi there,
For those of you who have not sent in photos with your applications:

Go to a professional photographer.
Dress professionally; no outlandish earrings or tatoos showing.
Women please wear tasteful makeup so that you do not wash out.
Men, wear a shirt with a collar and tie, nice clean professional hair.
Have them take plenty of proofs; have multiple photos made of the one that looks the best and the most professional. Use them on all of your secondaries.

This is a professional school application that you are sending in for evaluation. Look like a professional. While your candid photo may be cute, it may send the wrong message on your application.

You spend thousands of dollars on tuition, test fees and application fees so why not spend a few dollars and get a nice professional photo? With the state of competition these days, why have anything that might be considered negative on your application? The bottom line, don't send in a photo wearing anything that you would not wear to the interview itself.

Believe me, anything less than an professional look does not get you any points. This is not an area for cheapness.

njbmd :)

i would agree with njbmd.

in fact, at one of my interviews, the interviewer used the picture to identify me as all the interviewees were mingling in a room. once she found me, she commented that it was hard to find b/c i was "all dressed up" aka suit. so in passing i asked her what most people's photos were like and she said that they were definitely more formal. mine wasn't even that bad -- me in a t-shirt on a whie background. whatever. i got in, but i recommend getting them done professionally.

reading this thread reminded me of how long it's been since i first started the application process - i remember reading a thread about pictures back in may '05

OrganLibrarian said:

How do you know she's not putting the food into the cleavage? That would explain the facial expression -- "Oh no not again"... :D

OrganLibrarian said:
Or she could be saying, "stop drooling and take the darn picture already!"

deuist said:
You were looking at her face? Huh...

I'm a heterosexual female, sweetie. Breasts are boring.

OrganLibrarian said:
I'm a heterosexual female, sweetie. Breasts are boring.
breastfeeding?