PHS and/or Vet Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Namissbaltimore

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to find veterinary students or DVMs with information on either of these opportunities. I would love to hear about your experience with the process of applying and any insight you may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to find veterinary students or DVMs with information on either of these opportunities. I would love to hear about your experience with the process of applying and any insight you may have.
I am a third year veterinary student who received the Army HPSP scholarship and will serve in the Army Vet Corps upon graduation. I'm not sure if that's what you are asking about, but if it is, feel free to ask away.

I was planning to apply for the HPSP, but you’re ineligible if you attend a Caribbean school. We’re you given information of where you may be placed once you graduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning to apply for the HPSP, but you’re ineligible if you attend a Caribbean school. We’re you given information of where you may be placed once you graduate?
For HPSP students, we have to do a year of FYGVE, which can only be at a select few places in the US. After that, Army veterinarians can be placed pretty much anywhere they want us. There are assignments throughout the US, as well as abroad, and you may even be deployed.

For HPSP students, we have to do a year of FYGVE, which can only be at a select few places in the US. After that, Army veterinarians can be placed pretty much anywhere they want us. There are assignments throughout the US, as well as abroad, and you may even be deployed.
Thank you for the insight

Any way you can ask about how it works when someone applies for direct commissioning? Or do you know anyone who has applied for direct commissioning? I am trying to find out if they would also have to do FYGVE or Officer school?