Physical Sciences Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w1ll

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I figured out I'm having a lot of trouble with timing on physics. On AAMC3-4 I finished Physics and was still early in my review but I finished on time for some reason (probably guessed a lot) and I got 9's. On AAMC5-7 I do really well on the problems I get to but I find that I have to completely guess on one whole passage and the last set of discreets, I ended up with 6-8's on them!

Is it that I'm spending too much time calculating and doing dimensional analysis problems, drawing lewis structures, etc?

How do you guys manage your timing on physical sciences? What are some of your PS strategies? And I think not reading the passage is a bad strategy since a lot of stuff & reasoning comes from the passage.

I can finish Bio with about 3-4 min to spare and Verbal barely on time but just not on PS.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you getting caught up in the calculations? Do you know all of the formulas and how to apply them? If it's only timing, then you just need a lot of practice. The more you practice, the faster you'll finish. If you don't remember the equations, that's a little easier to fix because you just need to memorize them. Either way, practice is really important for PS...have you been using ek 1001 or the tpr workbook?

I have the EK1001 workbook but those questions are really specific and quite involved. I have problems just answering half of them.

I have the EK1001 workbook but those questions are really specific and quite involved. I have problems just answering half of them.
Get the TPR workbook...I thought that was really helpful. But you're good on content? Do you really go over the practice exams after you take them?
My strategy on PS is to basically skim the passages...I don't like to completely skip them, but I never read them in depth. The questions can usually be answered without the passage, but that's only if you know all the equations really well. I usually finish with about 2-5 mins to spare on this section. The calculations can be time consuming, so you have to save some time for those questions (they can take up to 2 mins). I've been getting 13-14 by doing this...but you have to try your own strategies. I know people who get great scores by completely skipping the passages. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Get the TPR workbook...I thought that was really helpful. But you're good on content? Do you really go over the practice exams after you take them?
My strategy on PS is to basically skim the passages...I don't like to completely skip them, but I never read them in depth. The questions can usually be answered without the passage, but that's only if you know all the equations really well. I usually finish with about 2-5 mins to spare on this section. The calculations can be time consuming, so you have to save some time for those questions (they can take up to 2 mins). I've been getting 13-14 by doing this...but you have to try your own strategies. I know people who get great scores by completely skipping the passages. :luck:

Actually I just got 2 TPR books, Cracking the MCAT, and MCAT Workout, but I haven't gotten a chance to look at them. Are you referring to one of those?

Yes I really do go over the content after exams, and I do find some holes here and there so I review the sections unless it was a minor mistake.

Actually I just got 2 TPR books, Cracking the MCAT, and MCAT Workout, but I haven't gotten a chance to look at them. Are you referring to one of those?
I'm talking about the workbook that comes with the course but I bet those are very similar...So, yeah, get to work on those. And time yourself! You have potential to do really well if it's only time issues holding you back.

I'm talking about the workbook that comes with the course but I bet those are very similar...So, yeah, get to work on those. And time yourself! You have potential to do really well if it's only time issues holding you back.

Are you limiting yourself to 8min/passage and checking time during each passage, or another strategy?

Are you limiting yourself to 8min/passage and checking time during each passage, or another strategy?
I think I have been doing them in about 6-8 mins, but I stopped timing myself after I realized I'm ok on time (except for verbal). I think you should aim for 7.5 if possible. It gives you time to review the ones you had marked.

I am decent at mental math so I usually finish in time for PS. I do the discretes first, and usually end up with around 60 mins left, and then just use the same timing as always, 8 mins per passage. Alot of times, if you see a super long passage, it might be better to take a look at the questions first, it doesnt take much time but could save u alot of time.

Are you getting caught up in the calculations? Do you know all of the formulas and how to apply them? If it's only timing, then you just need a lot of practice. The more you practice, the faster you'll finish. If you don't remember the equations, that's a little easier to fix because you just need to memorize them. Either way, practice is really important for PS...have you been using ek 1001 or the tpr workbook?

Quick Question jgberken,

is timing both on PS and Verbal a matter of practice? Say you have decent accuracy but find yourself guessing on the last passage?