Physical Therapist Thinking of Applying to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtiu08

Reaction score
Hello! I have been dipping my toes on pursuing med school now that I already have been a PT for 7+ years. I know the value of being a healthcare provider not just to the individual patient but also to the whole community with each foot we bring back to society. I want to make a larger impact and make more concrete changes to patient's lives by being an MD.

A little background about me. I'm 28/M living in New Haven, CT. I came from the Philippines with a BS degree that was translated to a Master's because I satisfied 180 credits with a professional internship. I took a 30 unit doctorate degree here in the USA so I have 210 college credits total. I have worked as an orthopedic physical therapist for 2 years and I came to the USA and practiced as a geriatric physical therapist for 5 years up to the present.

My undergrad GPA is low about 2.4-2.5 because the heaviness of the coursework is a BS/MS. Also needing to commute 3 hours every day to my university because I live several cities away. I was an athlete too playing for the college. My initial focus was really just finishing PT school and help people that way. My doctorate GPA is 3.5, which I did while having a full-time job doing 40-45 hours a week. So my GPA is not in good standing based on my research.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet because I have just recently thought of this career change.

My concern is what are the steps that I can do to make me a good candidate for med school? and also, is there a good chance for me to get into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is too low even for a master's program.

Stay a physical therapist. If it ain't broke, don't fix it man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is too low even for a master's program.

Stay a physical therapist. If it ain't broke, don't fix it man.
No, it's not. With some diy work and a master's he could get in and match to a very competitive specialty. But it would take a lot of time and money.

Source: me

No, it's not. With some diy work and a master's he could get in and match to a very competitive specialty. But it would take a lot of time and money.

Source: me
Sure, anything is possible but this is a situation where I think the cons outweigh the pros.

Giving up what I'm assuming is a decent paying career to do some major GPA repair + most probably a master's program to even have a shot at applying is not something to consider lightly when you calculate how much money is involved.