Physical Therapy Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musings

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
answered~ thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would people consider things like physical therapy/speech therapy branches of clinical medicine?

I know that physical therapists go to their own schools etc. so its not an MD. But what would people consider this?

Are you saying you have clinical experience working in physical therapy and want to know if it counts for med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I've worked in both speech and physical rehabilitation and would like to know if it can be considered clinical in nature.

From previous posts on this forum, I found that an experience is only "clinical" if you are around people who can prescribe drugs (which I was not) but I am not re- thinking this description of a clinical experience and would like to know what others think

Yes. I've worked in both speech and physical rehabilitation and would like to know if it can be considered clinical in nature.

From previous posts on this forum, I found that an experience is only "clinical" if you are around people who can prescribe drugs (which I was not) but I am not re- thinking this description of a clinical experience and would like to know what others think

Oh it seems I misread your question sorry about that. What exactly did you do? (ie: worked as a receptionist at a PT office or are you actually a speech therapist?) Are you just trying to classify this as a clinical or non clinical job or are you trying to use this as your clinical experience? (experience with PT's or speech therapy won't fully take the place of volunteering and shadowing if that is your question)

Physical therapy is definitely clinical. I worked as a physical therapy technician and I was often asked to talk about it during interviews. Great patient interaction.

Great!~ Thanks!!

I actually performed speech and physical therapy :)

However, I'm not trying to substitute it for my apps. I have shadowing and hospital volunteering as well.

UMD asks you about your most significant clinical experience. I want to talk about my work with speech and physical therapy because I was able to actually work with my patients, not just observe. This meant a lot to me :love:

Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate it. I had answered the question before using shadowing because I've seen some AMAZING things and its given me a lot of inspiration. But I may re- think and write about my therapy work instead :)

Great!~ Thanks!!

I actually performed speech and physical therapy :)

However, I'm not trying to substitute it for my apps. I have shadowing and hospital volunteering as well.

UMD asks you about your most significant clinical experience. I want to talk about my work with speech and physical therapy because I was able to actually work with my patients, not just observe. This meant a lot to me :love:

Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate it. I had answered the question before using shadowing because I've seen some AMAZING things and its given me a lot of inspiration. But I may re- think and write about my therapy work instead :)

If you want to, you should. I did.