Physician IQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdonuts27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the statistics is right about average IQ of physicians being around 130

Members don't see this ad.

Although it doesn't matter at all...it is most likely lower than that. 130 is pretty high as far as iq goes. Many aren't necessarily super smart, but have a work ethic that is unparalleled compared to the more intelligent peers. I'd say 115 to 120 would be closer to an average...although 5 points is a huge range there.

Although it doesn't matter at all...it is most likely lower than that. 130 is pretty high as far as iq goes. Many aren't necessarily super smart, but have a work ethic that is unparalleled compared to the more intelligent peers. I'd say 115 to 120 would be closer to an average...although 5 points is a huge range there.

I agree. It is a well known fact in psychology that IQ isn't a good predictor of sucess. I heard over and over again in my psych classes that IQ tests don't measure intelligence or education, they measure IQ, and that is does not necessarily mean anything useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I think most doctors are probably a bit above average, but I agree that a lot of becoming a doctor has to do with hard work. I think that IQ tests are BS anyway because there are so many factors that affect the results. I had my IQ tested when I was in elementary school. It was 145.:eek: But, I don't think I should run off and join MENSA or anything like that.:laugh: It is just a stupid number. You could have an IQ of 180 and no work ethic and never make it in med school. :D

Yea, I think most doctors are probably a bit above average, but I agree that a lot of becoming a doctor has to do with hard work. I think that IQ tests are BS anyway because there are so many factors that affect the results. I had my IQ tested when I was in elementary school. It was 145.:eek: But, I don't think I should run off and join MENSA or anything like that.:laugh: It is just a stupid number. You could have an IQ of 180 and no work ethic and never make it in med school. :D

yeah, i known a guy who was tested at the age of 15 and had an IQ of 165...he was barely getting C's in his classes. I don't think that inteligence has one definition. I belive there are different types of inteligence and it cannot be really accurately measured imo.
Couse how you explain a music genius who is trugling in math class etc.

yeah, i known a guy who was tested at the age of 15 and had an IQ of 165...he was barely getting C's in his classes. I don't think that inteligence has one definition. I belive there are different types of inteligence and it cannot be really accurately measured imo.
Couse how you explain a music genius who is trugling in math class etc.

I would say perhaps that the music genius may be a savant, but that is a whole other story.:D I totally agree that it is hard to define intelligence. IMO, the IQ test itself has very little meaning.:)

I would say perhaps that the music genius may be a savant, but that is a whole other story.:D I totally agree that it is hard to define intelligence. IMO, the IQ test itself has very little meaning.:)

yeah especially that most of it deals with very stereotypical stuff like math problems, repeating series of numbers back and forth, putting little "event" cards in the right order etc.
To me it was totally bs...though according to it i am supposed to be very inteligent:rolleyes: :laugh:

I'm going to be a physician and I can say for myself that I'm nowhere near 130=)

Cheers

LOL! So either you are like 180 or 80...hmmmm. JUST KIDDING!!! It is a stupid number and like I said, a lot of it is hard work. :D :luck:

140 Top Civil Servants; Professors and Research Scientists.
130 Physicians and Surgeons; Lawyers; Engineers (Civil and Mechanical)
120 School Teachers; Pharmacists; Accountants; Nurses; Stenographers; Managers.
110 Foremen; Clerks; Telephone Operators; Salesmen; Policemen; Electricians.
100+ Machine Operators; Shopkeepers; Butchers; Welders; Sheet Metal Workers.
100- Warehousemen; Carpenters; Cooks and Bakers; Small Farmers; Truck and Van Drivers.
90 Laborers; Gardeners; Upholsterers; Farmhands; Miners; Factory Packers and Sorters.

References:
Engle, T. L., & Snellgrove, L., Psychology: Its Principles and Applications (6th ed.), (New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc., 1974).

Swiegers, D. J., & Louw, D. A., "Intelligensie," in D. A. Louw (ed.), Inleiding tot die Psigologie (2nd ed.), (Johannesburg: McGraw Hill, 1982).

"Test Score Interpretation," Hampton City Schools, Psychological Services.

Wilson, G., & Grylls, D., Know Your Child's IQ (London: Futura Publications, 1977).

Note the age of the references, so these figures may be different today, this is probably why you thought doctors have 130IQ, which is in the 98th percentile.

My IQ test came back negative :thumbup:

Hilarious, I knew there'd be someone like this in here - the "I-have-a-high-IQ-HERE-IS-THE-NUMBER-by-the-way, but-I'm-super-humble-of-course-and-gosh-I-think-they're-BS-anyway" type.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh no you didn't just insult DoctorMom... that's like insulting a God here in pre-osteo... you belligerent a-hole... Why don't you just insult AT Still!?

PS I am mid-130's so doctormom is smarter than me :eek:

MENSA!? Do they get free matrix logic problems in the mail... I don't think I've ever finished one of those thing unless they were geared toward younger kids haha.

IQ tests as a child seems to be especially weird. It seems to have more to do with reading ability than anything. (I was reading adult novels and textbooks in second grade...don't ask me why because I certainly don't read them now) It definitely isn't the same as the adult ones, simply because of the age factor and being a period of such rapid development. I took a couple of those childhood ones, and my scores were all above 160. I even got a 200 on one.....sorry but Goethe was an estimated 210 iq which is beyond belief....and I don't think I'm there. On top of it, there are tons of different iqs, and the eq, which really tells more about a person. While you probably won't see anybody with a 85 iq becoming a doctor...I can't honestly believe that 130 is the average....I have met countless premeds, medical students, and doctors even that just have a tough time seeing patterns or grasping new concepts without some work.

Oh and Mensa is crap, but I may be a little bitter. I tested for it, but missed out. I am in that group that doesn't work hard enough and has paid for it....now I have years of true learning to do just to catch up, but my trivia knowledge is at an all time high.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hilarious, I knew there'd be someone like this in here - the "I-have-a-high-IQ-HERE-IS-THE-NUMBER-by-the-way, but-I'm-super-humble-of-course-and-gosh-I-think-they're-BS-anyway" type.

:eek: It was done in either kindergarten or first grade, so I don't put much faith in that number. Plus, there are a number of things that affect the score. It is a stupid number and that was my point. My IQ did not get me into med school; my hard work did. I am humble, but I am also proud of my accomplishments. That's right...I said my acccomplishments; NOT the make-believe IQ number I was labeled with at age 5. Plus, as stated earlier, intelligence is not easy to define. They are many different ways a person can be intelligent. That was my point. Obviously, your IQ wasn't high enough to understand that. I guess the meaning of my post went WAY over your head. :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

But, you are forgiven.:)

Oh no you didn't just insult DoctorMom... that's like insulting a God here in pre-osteo... you belligerent a-hole... Why don't you just insult AT Still!?

PS I am mid-130's so doctormom is smarter than me :eek:

MENSA!? Do they get free matrix logic problems in the mail... I don't think I've ever finished one of those thing unless they were geared toward younger kids haha.

LMAO!!! Thank you drmax! You are my knight in shining armor.:laugh: :love:

I have never had my IQ tested. What's the point??

I don't know why they tested mine. I actually think that is standard in the school district I am in. There is no point. We are all obviously "smart enough" so who cares beyond that.:D

My husband and I discussed this a few months ago and found out that the average IQ for a doc is 126.

100- Warehousemen; Carpenters; Cooks and Bakers; Small Farmers; Truck and Van Drivers.
90 Laborers; Gardeners; Upholsterers; Farmhands; Miners; Factory Packers and Sorters.

References:
Engle, T. L., & Snellgrove, L., Psychology: Its Principles and Applications (6th ed.), (New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc., 1974).

Swiegers, D. J., & Louw, D. A., “Intelligensie,” in D. A. Louw (ed.), Inleiding tot die Psigologie (2nd ed.), (Johannesburg: McGraw Hill, 1982).

“Test Score Interpretation,” Hampton City Schools, Psychological Services.

Wilson, G., & Grylls, D., Know Your Child’s IQ (London: Futura Publications, 1977).

Note the age of the references, so these figures may be different today, this is probably why you thought doctors have 130IQ, which is in the 98th percentile.

I came back across this same information and also this:

It is necessary to be very cautious in using a descriptive classification of IQ’s. The IQ is, at best, a rough measure of academic intelligence. It certainly would be unscientific to say that an individual with an IQ of 110 is of high average intelligence, while an individual with an IQ of 109 is of only average intelligence. Such a strict classification of intellectual abilities would fail to take account of social elements such as home, school, and community. These elements are not adequately measured by present intelligence tests. Furthermore, it would not take account of the fact that an individual may vary in his test score from one test to another.

Measures of intelligence may be valuable — although the value is often overrated — but much harm can be done by persons who try to classify individuals strictly on the basis of such measures alone. No one should be either alarmed or discouraged if he finds that his IQ is not as high as he might have hoped. Remember that many elements besides IQ contribute to success and happiness.

I think that more eloquently sums up what I was trying to say.:thumbup:
It does appear that the average physician's IQ is 125-130 which also confirms the "slightly above average, but lots of hard work" theory. :D

In elementary school I was doing really well in my classes so my teacher recommended that the district test my IQ to see if I was "gifted." If you are "gifted" the district has an obligation under law to give you additional supplemental instruction, referred to in my district as "gifted seminar"...etc, etc etc

I wouldn't have had it tested otherwise. I think I've killed a good bit of braincells since elementary school, so I would have to guess that my IQ is about 93 now :laugh:

In elementary school I was doing really well in my classes so my teacher recommended that the district test my IQ to see if I was "gifted." If you are "gifted" the district has an obligation under law to give you additional supplemental instruction, referred to in my district as "gifted seminar"...etc, etc etc

I wouldn't have had it tested otherwise. I think I've killed a good bit of braincells since elementary school, so I would have to guess that my IQ is about 93 now :laugh:

OK. That is what it was then. I was in an additional program called LEP in school. I didn't know why they tested it, but I guess that was the reason. Thanks! Yea, I have lost a few braincells too over the years.:laugh:

I think IQ is the best measure we have at this point to measure one's ability to grasp information in a timely manner and there is some substance to it. However, hard work is ALWAYS going to win. I also had my IQ measured several times as a child because I moved around alot and they had to test me into their program where ever I went. I got curious as an adult and restested it twice with nearly the same results (+/- 5-10 pts). It is a very consistent number which also seems to give some credence to it.

I also joined Mensa a few years ago because my son was diagnosed as autistic which oftentimes runs in intelligent families so I thought I could meet people who had been through the same problems as I was going through, without much luck.

Anyways, my point is that there can be two people, let's say two musicians, who are both trying the learn a new piece. The person who has the higher IQ is probably going to pick it up faster, with better tone, and better accuracy. But, if the person with the lower IQ practices all day and the other one goes out to play, the person with the lower IQ is probably going to have the better piece. If they practice exactly the same, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the person with the highest IQ will probably have the nicest sounding piece. I've seen this too many times to deny it.

I only threw out the personal stuff because it seemed like this tread had degenerated into an "IQ means nothing but I have a high IQ so that means I, and only I, have the credibility to say that IQ means nothing," thread. Kind of hypocritical, eh? Oh yeah, and then tell anyone who disagrees with you that they have low intelligence. Might be a good idea for the 'osteo-god' to go back to threads where their true colors won't shine through.

I only threw out the personal stuff because it seemed like this tread had degenerated into an "IQ means nothing but I have a high IQ so that means I, and only I, have the credibility to say that IQ means nothing," thread. Kind of hypocritical, eh? Oh yeah, and then tell anyone who disagrees with you that they have low intelligence. Might be a good idea for the 'osteo-god' to go back to threads where their true colors won't shine through.

I am only going to post this, because I am above letting this thread deteriorate into a flame war of who is better or right or wrong. I am not going to start a war to defend myself, my opinions, or my right to post them. It is really not worth it. One of the reasons that I enjoy posting on the pre-osteo thread is because everyone is so supportive of each other and I am certainly not going to be the person to destroy that. I am not the only person who posted personal information on this thread. Why I was singled out is beyond me. Whatever the reason, I hope that you and Northerner find peace within yourselves and your lives because it is obviously lacking. Being an angry person is no way to live your life. Good luck with all you pursue and with accomplishing your dreams. I hope you have a wonderful day.:D

Oh one more thing, I am sorry to hear about your son. I also have a son with developmental delays and it is a very difficult thing for any parent to go through. Autism is especially hard. I hope that he is able to receive decent treatment and able to reach his full potential. :)

References:

Swiegers, D. J., & Louw, D. A., “Intelligensie,” in D. A. Louw (ed.), Inleiding tot die Psigologie (2nd ed.), (Johannesburg: McGraw Hill, 1982).

“Test Score Interpretation,” Hampton City Schools, Psychological Services.

Wilson, G., & Grylls, D., Know Your Child’s IQ (London: Futura Publications, 1977).

Hum....I guess paramedics must fall somewhere between 130 and 90 since we're half doctor and half van drivers....but I'm sure firefighters fall around 90!! :p

I think I got my IQ tested in elementary school too. I can't for the life of me remember what I scored, but I just thought it was funny that they tested me because they thought I might be dyslexic and I ended up having a higher score! I don't know how they thought I was dyslexic when I was reading about three grade-levels over my age! I mean just 'cause I wrote have of my letters backwards...that doesn't mean anything...not that I still do that....:idea:

Generally though I agree that IQ tests are dumb. Take my brother for instance, probably one of the smartest people I know from a purely knowledge standpoint, but the guy lacks not only ANY motivation to do anything, but also any common sense...I swear I don't know where he came from!

Nate.

The only reason I really come on to these forums is to gain information about the application process and I find that many times most people are very helpful, but I see absolutely no anger or other hateful issues with Northerner's post, he kind of just pointed out the obvious. The only hateful, nasty attacks I saw were directed at him, so I tried to point out the obvious. I often try to follow your posts because I am a 28 year old mother of 2 who is applying osteopathic and wants to do rural family medicine. It caught me totally by surprise when I saw the mean hatefulness of your post toward Northerner and I was kind of disappointed. I try to love everyone and I have absolutely no idea why you would want to say I have no peace and that I am angry. You don't know me. Saying something nice after a mean attack does not make it a nice post! Have a great day, I wish you well. Honestly.

:eek: It was done in either kindergarten or first grade, so I don't put much faith in that number. Plus, there are a number of things that affect the score. It is a stupid number and that was my point. My IQ did not get me into med school; my hard work did. I am humble, but I am also proud of my accomplishments. That's right...I said my acccomplishments; NOT my the make-believe IQ number I was labeled with at age 5. Plus, as stated earlier, intelligence is not easy to define. They are many different ways a person can be intelligent. That was my point. Obviously, your IQ wasn't high enough to understand that. I guess the meaning of my post went WAY over your head. :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

But, you are forgiven.:)

hilarious, finally, its commin all out ... :smuggrin:

i dont see anything wrong with drmom's post ... if anything, northerner was a an idiot for being ms sarcasm over her post.

The only reason I really come on to these forums is to gain information about the application process and I find that many times most people are very helpful, but I see absolutely no anger or other hateful issues with Northerner's post, he kind of just pointed out the obvious. The only hateful, nasty attacks I saw were directed at him, so I tried to point out the obvious. I often try to follow your posts because I am a 28 year old mother of 2 who is applying osteopathic and wants to do rural family medicine. It caught me totally by surprise when I saw the mean hatefulness of your post toward Northerner and I was kind of disappointed. I try to love everyone and I have absolutely no idea why you would want to say I have no peace and that I am angry. You don't know me. Saying something nice after a mean attack does not make it a nice post! Have a great day, I wish you well. Honestly.

too bad your son or daughter has autism, but damn, get a life. there was hardly a nasty comment on there, he deserved what he got for being ms. sarcastic ... maybe you might wanna spend more time taking care of your child than taking care of someone else's.

LOL! It wasn't mean or hateful. It was just as sarcastic a response as the one he gave me. His comment was directly at me (thus the quote) and so I responded. It was a joke anyway. I am not really sure why it offended you so much. :confused: I am sorry you are not only angry but lack a sense of humor. And yes, you do appear angry which came across very clearly in your post directed to me. I did not attack you, and yet you attacked me. :( My response was nice because I also try to love everyone and I enjoy being a part of SDN and refuse to be the cause of a war. Anger will destroy your soul if you let it. Again, have a wonderful day. :)

hilarious, finally, its commin all out ... :smuggrin:

i dont see anything wrong with drmom's post ... if anything, northerner was a an idiot for being ms sarcasm over her post.

LMAO!!!:laugh:

I tested 135 on an IQ test last year. I am a psych major and our personality prof. was really into IQ tests so we all took one. But my mcat is only 21 and my overall gpas are about 3.2. Do you think I can send a copy of my IQ to the adcoms?? :laugh: IQ practicality = none, unless you have a severely low IQ and they need to place you in the proper group home! :)

I tested 135 on an IQ test last year. I am a psych major and our personality prof. was really into IQ tests so we all took one. But my mcat is only 21 and my overall gpas are about 3.2. Do you think I can send a copy of my IQ to the adcoms?? :laugh: IQ practicality = none, unless you have a severely low IQ and they need to place you in the proper group home! :)

LOL! I guess you could send it to them and try. :laugh: My GPA is also only a 3.2 and my MCAT is only a 23Q. The only reason I even have that is because of my ability to work hard. Having four kids and being able to get into medical school has nothing to do with your IQ.:D

BTW, I don't know if you took offense to my previous post or not, but it was a joke. Just in case you thought I was mean or serious, I apologize. Sorry if I offended you in any way.:D

BTW, I don't know if you took offense to my previous post or not, but it was a joke. Just in case you thought I was mean or serious, I apologize. Sorry if I offended you in any way.:D

and you were doing so well ... quit apologizing.

LOL! I guess you could send it to them and try. :laugh: My GPA is also only a 3.2 and my MCAT is only a 23Q. The only reason I even have that is because of my ability to work hard. Having four kids and being able to get into medical school has nothing to do with your IQ.:D

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Get a life? I have posted about 50 times in 10 mos. That's just over 1 time per week. I spend my time taking care of my children. You have absolutely no idea how much time I have invested in my children, and I only have two. My son is eight now and doing wonderful but there was a time when that wasn't so and I spent every last minute with him. Commenting on someone's mothering is ridiculous and I honestly con't believe that DrMom supported you in doing so.

Get a life? I have posted about 50 times in 10 mos. That's just over 1 time per week. I spend my time taking care of my children. You have absolutely no idea how much time I have invested in my children, and I only have two. My son is eight now and doing wonderful but there was a time when that wasn't so and I spent every last minute with him. Commenting on someone's mothering is ridiculous and I honestly can't believe that DrMom supported you in doing so.

Get a life? I have posted about 50 times in 10 mos. That's just over 1 time per week. I spend my time taking care of my children. You have absolutely no idea how much time I have invested in my children, and I only have two. My son is eight now and doing wonderful but there was a time when that wasn't so and I spent every last minute with him. Commenting on someone's mothering is ridiculous and I honestly can't believe that DrMom supported you in doing so.

get a life doesnt equate to "ive got a life cuzz i dont go on sdn hooray!" .. quit gettin into other people's discussions or arguments and let things be. quit worryin bout what so and so said to so and so .. and worry more about your wonderful child. commenting on someone else's child is just every bit as ridiculous, if not moreso. youre the mother, wheres the maturity?

Get a life? I have posted about 50 times in 10 mos. That's just over 1 time per week. I spend my time taking care of my children. You have absolutely no idea how much time I have invested in my children, and I only have two. My son is eight now and doing wonderful but there was a time when that wasn't so and I spent every last minute with him. Commenting on someone's mothering is ridiculous and I honestly con't believe that DrMom supported you in doing so.

WHAT?!?! Where did I do that?!?!?:confused: WOW!!!!! What in the world did I do to offend you?!?!:(

WHAT?!?! Where did I do that?!?!?:confused: WOW!!!!! What in the world did I do to offend you?!?!:(

I'm going to jump in and say that your initial post was a little on the obnoxious side, and, yes, it did come off as bragging. Your following posts to t-funk haven't exacted redeemed you yet. Calling someone angry and humorless followed by a smiley isn't exactly being civil.

Being a mom entails standing up for the little guy and saying something when you think someone is being unfairly attacked. That is maturity.

Being a mom entails standing up for the little guy and saying something when you think someone is being unfairly attacked. That is maturity.

i honestly dont believe Northerner is a little guy. I dont think he has even posted a reply nor come back from his pre-allo thread since that comment. If you wanna stick up for the little guy, there are plenty in this world. Go stick up for them and save them. Be a Mother Theresa, not a troll.

I'm going to jump in and say that your initial post was a little on the obnoxious side, and, yes, it did come off as bragging. Your following posts to t-funk haven't exacted redeemed you yet. Calling someone angry and humorless followed by a smiley isn't exactly being civil.

Sorry, I didn't realize that smileys were offensive. I am not the only one who posted my actual IQ on here. How come I am the one getting berrated by everyone for doing so? :confused: :(

I don't know why everyone is so cranky today!:smuggrin:

Sorry, I didn't realize that smileys were offensive. I am not the only one who posted my actual IQ on here. How come I am the one getting berrated by everyone for doing so? :confused: :(

Maybe you were the only one who felt the need to brag. :D See, following a mean statement by a smiley doesn't make it nice.

Maybe you were the only one who felt the need to brag. :D See, following a mean statement by a smiley doesn't make it nice.

wow, this is a day where hell should freeze over. dr.mom gettin bashed by an exlawgrrl ... potentially exdocgrrl too?

doctormom it's not woth it...go for a walk...apparently certain ppl on here treat pre-osteo forum as a venting device for their anger.
You don't want to be provoked into saying one word too much and getting a worning. Just let them vent to the wall.:D

doctormom it's not woth it...go for a walk...apparently certain ppl on here treat pre-osteo forum as a venting device for their anger.
You don't want to be provoked into saying one word too much and getting a worning. Just let them vent to the wall.:D

it is funny how only a few outsides felt her comments to be offensive, while the rest of us didnt. maybe some mothers and pre-allos and allos need a life.

Northerner may post alot, but in the pre-osteo forum, he is a little guy. It sometimes appears to me that the same people control the threads in pre-osteo and if you are an outsider, you're opinion is considered invalid. On the other hand, certain people's opinions are valid without question and all of the 'regulars' will jump in and defend ready to break skin if someone questions their authority.

You are two are very confused and accusing me of things I didn't even do. I would appreciate if you would only comment on facts. The only assumption I can reach is that you must be jealous, because this is the way people often act when they are. I also have posted my MCAT and GPA, and my md applicants link is in my profile, none of which are much to brag over. I have never spoken with either of you prior to this thread and why you now feel the need to attack me is quite perplexing. I am sorry you feel this way. I hope you can get over your anger towards me especially since I never did anything to either of you. I even empathized with T-funk's situation with her son. All I have ever tried to do on here is be helpful and honest. If my honesty comes across as braggadocios or my compassion as being weak, then I apologize for that. I refuse to respond to any further comments posted by either of you, because actions speak louder than words and I am truly above all of this pettiness and hatefulness. I will not let this thread disintegrate any further than it already has. I wish you all peace and happiness in life and hope you are both able to get over your anger and resentment. :) (That is not a sarcastic smiley either.)

I would never let that happen. I enjoy SDN too much and this is good practice for dealing with difficult patients. LOL!:D Thank you Dr. Kicia, Dr. Inviz, and everyone else for your support!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.