Physics AND Organic Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolcucumber91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman and a psychology major. Currently I am taking general chemistry 2 and biology 2. My schedule is pretty tough with both of those classes, since biology is a really tough course in my school and is a weed-out class. In the summer, I plan on taking cell biology and genetics.

Next semester, I plan on taking just 14 credits (organic chem 1, calculus 1, some honors program course, and some philosophy course). I wanted to focus on research... but even still, my schedule seems uncomfortably light.

My question is, should I just take physics 1 as well? I was originally planning on taking it the spring semester with orgo 2...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a lot, but then again many (if not most) students will have similar schedules. You'll either find a way to work through it or crash and burn.

If you're genuinely concerned and you don't HAVE to take physics I next semester, I would wait. There's no reason to cram courses like that without cause.

P.S. don't short sell the philosophy course. Depending on the course that could be a major time sink.

My schedule was VERY similar to your except for the fact of my taking calculus this year instead of next year. What I did was push back the philosophy class until later and took physics instead. That way my pre-reqs would be over and done with before Junior year.
But do not take 18 hours it's a real pain. Though I am doing well, I will never take 18 credit hours ever again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't think you have to over flow your plate just because your a pre-med. That being said, most schools will let you drop a course in the first two weeks if you don't like it, so you could try it and see if you can handle it. If not drop a course

No, unless you just LOVE doing math and science, I wouldn't take org, calc, and physics all in the same semester. Org by itself is very difficult, especially the first half because you're not used to that type of learning yet. A lot of it is memorization but you also need to understand the basic key concepts such as stereochemistry, bonding, SN1/SN2, etc. Also you should take into account laboratory hours when you sign up, sometimes classes are much more time consuming than their credit hour indicates.

My schedule was VERY similar to your except for the fact of my taking calculus this year instead of next year. What I did was push back the philosophy class until later and took physics instead. That way my pre-reqs would be over and done with before Junior year.
But do not take 18 hours it's a real pain. Though I am doing well, I will never take 18 credit hours ever again!

I agree. I'm taking 18 credits now and it's giving me a butt whooping.

But then spring semester of next year I will be taking physics 2 and orgo 2...so I should make my schedule light then as well right?

Last edited:
I'm in neuro, physics, and orgo at the moment (16 credits total). It is no bueno. Also, don't forget about labs. My two labs + research account for 22 hours of the week (12hrs for lab time + reports & 10hrs research). I cannot tell you how nice it will be to literally get almost an entire day back next semester. Don't overwhelm yourself if you don't have to, and don't rob yourself of precious free time.

Or maybe I take calculus this summer? So then my fall semester will look like this:

Orgo 1
Physics 1
Honors program class
Philosophy class (easy class according to many people)

Altogether 15 credits

I'm in neuro, physics, and orgo at the moment (16 credits total). It is no bueno. Also, don't forget about labs. My two labs + research account for 22 hours of the week (12hrs for lab time + reports & 10hrs research). I cannot tell you how nice it will be to literally get almost an entire day back next semester. Don't overwhelm yourself if you don't have to, and don't rob yourself of precious free time.

Taking the same exact classes this year. Orgo, physics, neuro, and hon. thesis. I gotta agree with Vandy here. This is my last semester before I graduate, and it really blows ending my final semester on this note.

There's really no need to cram those classes in, especially since you're going to be a sophomore. If it were me, I would spread those classes out a little more.

Or maybe I take calculus this summer? So then my fall semester will look like this:

Orgo 1
Physics 1
Honors program class
Philosophy class (easy class according to many people)

Altogether 15 credits
That sounds manageable. Two sciences a semester is good, physics or orgo can be brutal or not too bad depending on your teacher though.

I'm a freshman and a psychology major. Currently I am taking general chemistry 2 and biology 2. My schedule is pretty tough with both of those classes, since biology is a really tough course in my school and is a weed-out class. In the summer, I plan on taking cell biology and genetics.

Next semester, I plan on taking just 14 credits (organic chem 1, calculus 1, some honors program course, and some philosophy course). I wanted to focus on research... but even still, my schedule seems uncomfortably light.

My question is, should I just take physics 1 as well? I was originally planning on taking it the spring semester with orgo 2...

i would add the physics because I'm sure the phil and honors course should be a breeze

If I decide to take physics 1 in the spring, how much of an disadvantage would I be in ? In other words:

A rising junior with bio, chem, orgo, and physics complete

vs

A rising junior with bio, chem, orgo, and physics 1 complete?

Will a junior in the 2nd category still be able to take the MCAT and apply relatively early?

the best schedule should be 2 hard/premed science classes, one easy science class, two easy non-BCPM class, and one BCPM lab; minus one of ur choosing if it turns out to be too hard

If I decide to take physics 1 in the spring, how much of an disadvantage would I be in ? In other words:

vs

Will a junior in the 2nd category still be able to take the MCAT and apply relatively early?

I took my MCAT while still taking physics 2, and I didn't feel unprepared at all. It really isn't going to make much of a difference at all with respect to MCAT preparation.

vs

I think so long as you complete your pre-reqs before Spring semester Junior year, that will be alright. But having to squeeze in all that review might be a pain, idk though you could breeze right through it.

You'll be fine. I'm doing Chem 2/Orgo/Calc 1(retake though)/Gen Physics/Ethics next semester, plus a PE elective...like 22 credits or something.

If you can pull it off, sure. But if you already have a full schedule, and you're not in a hurry, then you can take the course another semester. It really depends on your past performance. If you get straight A's despite a heavy course load, then I'd say go for it. If you've gotten a B or a C in a class while taking a heavy course load, I'd say don't do it. In the end, all they will look at is your grade, not how many courses you were able to take in one semester.

Be careful. Some people can pull straight A's in every class regardless of schedule. It may be worth it to spread it out a bit. Just know yourself

It depends on your research obligations. Just the schedule itself is definitely doable, especially for the motivated individuals such as yourself. Just be sure that you'll have the time to study for all of these things, especially if your research is time intensive!

I've been taking 16-18 hours since Freshman year (Senior now) with my Nursing major + Psych minor. Not sure what the big deal is...although my GPA ain't as high as I want it to be, it's not because of sciences or humanities...