Physics formulas that are a must?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angel_Eyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MCAT this August and have started studying the dreaded physical science section. I am taking Ochem this summer so that should be all the studing I need for that, anyhow...what physics formulas and topics should I spend the most time on??
projectile motion? resistors? electricity? Thermo? kinematic equations?
Any input would be great...THANKS!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

I defenitely recall questions about projectile motion, thus requiring kinematics. Cant really remember any more specifics.

Originally posted by Angel_Eyes
projectile motion? resistors? electricity? Thermo? kinematic equations?
Any input would be great...THANKS!!:D

all of those, and i would include buoyancy, doppler effect, lens/mirror equations, and wave formulas (I had alot of those on my form of the MCAT)

Did you all get any more than one passage on mechanics? I know more than likely there is going to be one, but have you all seen more than one on a test?

nero

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion and my experience tells me that it's better to focus LESS on the formulas and focus MORE on understanding the principles. I took the April MCAT and was a little surprised at how straightforward the questions were (I didn't say easy, just straightforward).

Don't kill yourself trying to memorize every formula. Some might be necessary (like centripetal force, Hooke's Law, etc.), but don't count on it. Exhaust your brain by understanding the concepts first, then try and tie in the formulas.

I agree with toejam, its very easy to confuse formulas and misapply them when you dont learn them in context

If you know all the formulas you can derieve most of the conceptual questions . Make sure what the equations are and how to move variables