Physics Formulas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those of you who have finished your review - did the formulas just work themselves into your memory while working on problems, or did you actively attempt to memorize them?

Members don't see this ad.

Those of you who have finished your review - did the formulas just work themselves into your memory while working on problems, or did you actively attempt to memorize them?

The formulas seem simple and really become second nature if you do enough problems (I can't really describe what enough means, that's up to you). If you spend some time up front understanding them as opposed to memorizing them, I think you'll be just fine (and likely memorize them as a by product anyhow). This will also enable you to know when to apply which formula - this is what i find can trip me up as opposed to not knowing a formula - it's knowing too many!

Mind you, I'm almost done so not quite but when I look at the first couple of chapters, it doesn't take more than a 5 minute glance at a formula sheet for all of it to come back to memory.

Now only if could remember orgo reaction mechanisms....there is the real challenge! Something tells me you don't have this problem........

Sv3

It depends. Some formulas you simply have to memorize because they are difficult to conceptualize (e.g. d=v0t+1/2at^2 - linear motion). Others are easier to remember if you understand the concepts (e.g. F=-k(delta)x - Hooke's law). I think a majority of them are easier to recall if you understand conceptually what they're about. Try to minimize the memorization but sometimes you just have to. Good luck, hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the replies. It's my first day of getting to studying, and the kinematics equations prompted this post. I plan to do a very significant number of practice problems, spaced throughout the summer, so I guess I'll take your advice and attempt to work them into my memory through problems. Can always cram them late if necessary I suppose :)

"Now only if could remember orgo reaction mechanisms....there is the real challenge! Something tells me you don't have this problem........"

Not so much :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Some formulas you simply have to memorize because they are difficult to conceptualize (e.g. d=v0t+1/2at^2 - linear motion).

Over time t, an object with an initial velocity v0 travels a distance:

x = v*t

Over time t, an object with an acceleration a travels a distance:

x = (1/2)at^2

Add the right-hand sides of these equations together, and you get the distance traveled by an object with an initial speed AND an acceleration.

x = v*t + (1/2)at^2

Or,

simple equation + simple equation = scary-looking, but still simple equation

Thanks for the replies. It's my first day of getting to studying, and the kinematics equations prompted this post. I plan to do a very significant number of practice problems, spaced throughout the summer, so I guess I'll take your advice and attempt to work them into my memory through problems. Can always cram them late if necessary I suppose :)

"Now only if could remember orgo reaction mechanisms....there is the real challenge! Something tells me you don't have this problem........"

Not so much :p

To be honest, I didn't memorize a few of the kinematics equations. (But you should.)

Many of the others just came naturally after a while, but a handful I actively worked on memorizing.

In the equation d=v*t + 1/2at^2 don't forget about the initial distants d in that equation. I realize a lot of problems have an initial distance of zero so you can ignore that, but you never know when you'll need it. And I agree, memorizing the equations makes it harder and then you can start to mix them up, try to make sense of them. For example the gravity, F=ma for most problems but when dealing with solar bodies F=GMm/r^2. This is in part because the mass of the earth is so much greater than the mass of a person so the relationship changes. Also when dealing with the law of universal gravitation it should make sense (like most elementary forces) that the distance is an exponential relationship. You can test this out with a pair of magnets (understanding that this is a different type of force). The closer you bring them together, you feel them "pulling" on each other, but does it feel like a linear relationship to you? good luck, there are a lot of them but with time theand practice they'll come to you

For those of you who have taken the MCAT already, did you find that you needed to know specific equations to solve the problems, or where equations you needed provided and you just needed to have an understanding of concepts?

I took the MCAT on May 2. I believe that in most of my passages, the important formulas were provided. In the discrete questions however, there were formulas you either knew or didnt. I would try and remember all of the important formulas. Just practice lots of problems and they you will naturally remember them. Thermo, kinematics, mometum, Fluids and solids electricity, magnetism, capacitors, resistance are big topics with formulas I feel are tested every MCAT.

Oh and Light!!! E=hf, this is a very important equation.

Hmm I found that it's easier to memorize if you understand why the formulas are the way they are. In fact I think this conceptual grasp is crucial for the PS section. I think you'll only get plug and play on discretes. Confidence in the principles will also boost morale which was pretty important during my practice tests.

Thanks for posting this thread (and to everyone who replied) - I had the same question as the poster!;)