Physics or Orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnycash

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again. I am scheduled to take Orgo I this Fall but I am anticipating a hectic work schedule. Should I take Physics I (non-calc) instead? Is physics more important for the MCAT? Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

johnnycash said:
Hi again. I am scheduled to take Orgo I this Fall but I am anticipating a hectic work schedule. Should I take Physics I (non-calc) instead? Is physics more important for the MCAT? Thanks again.

Having taken the April MCAT, physics is more directly tested, but both are required before you can attend medical school so sequence really doesn't matter.

johnnycash said:
Assuming that you've already taken gen chem, it doesn't matter which one you take first. Don't take the MCAT though until you have finished BOTH organic and physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found physics to be less time-consuming than organic but I also had a really really really good teacher for the physics sequence and an ok teacher for organic. Organic has also turned out to be my nemesis. So take a look at an organic text and a physics text to see which you think you'll have an easier time with, find out which of the teachers is better, and make your decision from there. Which you take first won't matter since you'll want (and need) both before the mcat anyway but a hectic work schedule definitely would have made my organic grade suffer more than it already did lol.

Skaterbabe74 said:
I found physics to be less time-consuming than organic but I also had a really really really good teacher for the physics sequence and an ok teacher for organic. Organic has also turned out to be my nemesis. So take a look at an organic text and a physics text to see which you think you'll have an easier time with, find out which of the teachers is better, and make your decision from there. Which you take first won't matter since you'll want (and need) both before the mcat anyway but a hectic work schedule definitely would have made my organic grade suffer more than it already did lol.[/QUOTEi ]

with physics being 50% of one section and orgo being only 25-35% of another section, i would say bone up on physics.