Physics question

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you need to take Calculus based Physics to get into medical school?

What are all the physics classes I would possibly need?

e.g. You don't need anything over Calculus II for MS. (Math Req.)

Members don't see this ad.

No. You need the first two semesters of basic physics, which generally means mechanics (Physics 1) and optics/E&M (Physics 2).

I am so glad I do not need to take calculus based physics. I would be horrified if I had to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so glad I do not need to take calculus based physics. I would be horrified if I had to.

honestly, calc based physics isn't that bad. my gf (who is bad at math) and did poorly in calc3 did extremely well in the upper div physics courses

I actually thought calc-based physics was easier because you learn to derive equations you forget. It's definitely more intense and thorough, though.

Good grief, calc based physics is not cool. Not cool at all. Not only is it much harder for the *average* person to grasp, it requires you to take calculus II and ***it doesn't prepare you for the physics on the MCAT***.

Seriously, I had to relearn EVERY BIT of physics when the MCAT came around.

I was so mad at my pre med advisor who told us all that calc based was the way to go. :rolleyes:

You guys didn't have to take Calc Based Physics? Aw.. most of the dental schools I've seen want Calc Based Physics, but they'll all pretty much take the "Health Science Calc Based Physics" which is "Calc-lite." Heheh... I actually thought the calc came in handy sometimes... other than deriving the equations for fields of force for different shaped objects, UGH, I hated that!

Just took part I of calc based physics...and let me tell you...if you think you know...you probably dont.

I took algebra based physics (got A's) in a CC when i was in HS...and i barely made it out with a B in Calc based....its not simply enough to know formulas and there derivations...its most important to know how things work because thats the only way you will know when to apply what. I will admit that you should not take calc 1 with physics 1 calc-based (co-requistie) you really have to know your stuff.