xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Do you need to take Calculus based Physics to get into medical school?

What are all the physics classes I would possibly need?

e.g. You don't need anything over Calculus II for MS. (Math Req.)

Jul 15, 2009
Orange County
Status
Pharmacy Student
I am so glad I do not need to take calculus based physics. I would be horrified if I had to.
honestly, calc based physics isn't that bad. my gf (who is bad at math) and did poorly in calc3 did extremely well in the upper div physics courses

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I actually thought calc-based physics was easier because you learn to derive equations you forget. It's definitely more intense and thorough, though.

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
The Only Place I Wanna Be
Status
Good grief, calc based physics is not cool. Not cool at all. Not only is it much harder for the *average* person to grasp, it requires you to take calculus II and ***it doesn't prepare you for the physics on the MCAT***.

Seriously, I had to relearn EVERY BIT of physics when the MCAT came around.

I was so mad at my pre med advisor who told us all that calc based was the way to go. :rolleyes:

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
You guys didn't have to take Calc Based Physics? Aw.. most of the dental schools I've seen want Calc Based Physics, but they'll all pretty much take the "Health Science Calc Based Physics" which is "Calc-lite." Heheh... I actually thought the calc came in handy sometimes... other than deriving the equations for fields of force for different shaped objects, UGH, I hated that!

EyEnStein 07

Senior ɸ Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
East Coast
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Just took part I of calc based physics...and let me tell you...if you think you know...you probably dont.

I took algebra based physics (got A's) in a CC when i was in HS...and i barely made it out with a B in Calc based....its not simply enough to know formulas and there derivations...its most important to know how things work because thats the only way you will know when to apply what. I will admit that you should not take calc 1 with physics 1 calc-based (co-requistie) you really have to know your stuff.