AP Bio vs Physics

Froot4Lyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Okay, so basically it's coming around the time where I have to choose my classes for the next school year. I'm currently a sophomore taking honors bio and I'm debating whether or not I should take AP bio next year or physics. I already plan on taking honors chem next year along with either bio/physics. I found some cons and pros with each that may make it easier to see which class would fit me best:

AP Bio: Pros- When applying to colleges, ap would help to add a boost to my transcript; being in honors chem at the same time would help me with certain topics in ap bio; I'd be coming out of honors bio this year, so at least I'd still have some of the materials still somewhat fresh in my head.; already have friends enrolled in the class, so I have a sense of how the teacher runs the lessons and assessments.
Cons- Taking honors bio this year hasn't been the easiest road, but I'm understanding topics and lessons a bit more; when it comes to lab, I tend to have a lot of difficulty.

Physics: Pros- Math is one of my strongest subjects, so I might find this class to be a bit easier; I'd be getting a head start in college because I've read that a lot of people normally take physics in their senior year of high school so that they can move further into physics 2 or classes similar; I've been told that physics mainly concerns math lessons within algebra 2 and I am currently in that class.
Cons- Never taken this class before, so I wouldn't know what to expect completely; don't know anyone who has taken the class either; taking this class along with advanced math and chem might become overwhelming.

Also, when it comes to memorization in bio, it would depend on the amount of material I would have to memorize, so that could either be a pro or con.

I was originally thinking that I could take AP Bio with honors chem next year, and then take Physics with AP Chem(if i do well in honors) senior year. Or I could take Physics with honors chem next year, take AP Physics 2 with AP Chem(possibly) senior year, and just drop AP Bio altogether.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

All of those options are fine. Take the one you can get the best grades in and do it. None of this will matter after you get into college.

Reactions: 1 user
It would be a good option to take honors chem and physics at the same time (not AP is manageable). Then senior year you can choose which AP you prefer. The only bad part is it is going to be for your junior year so you can't really take all the APs. In retrospect, you could have taken physics and bio as a sophomore , or if you are in NY then you could have skipped Earth Science and taken honors bio and chem freshman year and you would have many more options.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be a good option to take honors chem and physics at the same time (not AP is manageable). Then senior year you can choose which AP you prefer. The only bad part is it is going to be for your junior year so you can't really take all the APs. In retrospect, you could have taken physics and bio as a sophomore , or if you are in NY then you could have skipped Earth Science and taken honors bio and chem freshman year and you would have many more options.

Yeah, I live in NJ and I could've had the chance to take honors bio my freshman year (which would've absolutely made this decision much easier). Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not re appealing my application for honors bio, so I ended up stuck in environmental science. But I'll take into consideration of your advice to take honors chem and physics :)

Hi. Okay, so basically it's coming around the time where I have to choose my classes for the next school year. I'm currently a sophomore taking honors bio and I'm debating whether or not I should take AP bio next year or physics. I already plan on taking honors chem next year along with either bio/physics. I found some cons and pros with each that may make it easier to see which class would fit me best:

AP Bio: Pros- When applying to colleges, ap would help to add a boost to my transcript; being in honors chem at the same time would help me with certain topics in ap bio; I'd be coming out of honors bio this year, so at least I'd still have some of the materials still somewhat fresh in my head.; already have friends enrolled in the class, so I have a sense of how the teacher runs the lessons and assessments.
Cons- Taking honors bio this year hasn't been the easiest road, but I'm understanding topics and lessons a bit more; when it comes to lab, I tend to have a lot of difficulty.

Physics: Pros- Math is one of my strongest subjects, so I might find this class to be a bit easier; I'd be getting a head start in college because I've read that a lot of people normally take physics in their senior year of high school so that they can move further into physics 2 or classes similar; I've been told that physics mainly concerns math lessons within algebra 2 and I am currently in that class.
Cons- Never taken this class before, so I wouldn't know what to expect completely; don't know anyone who has taken the class either; taking this class along with advanced math and chem might become overwhelming.

Also, when it comes to memorization in bio, it would depend on the amount of material I would have to memorize, so that could either be a pro or con.

I was originally thinking that I could take AP Bio with honors chem next year, and then take Physics with AP Chem(if i do well in honors) senior year. Or I could take Physics with honors chem next year, take AP Physics 2 with AP Chem(possibly) senior year, and just drop AP Bio altogether.

Any advice?
Don't take the exams for advanced placement credit. You want to sandbag the process and take introductory bio, regular general chem and and algebra based physics. In the long run you won't care if you finished a term early. You will care about your college grade point average.