physics requirement.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.A

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you happen to know if there are any dental schools out there that require only 1 semester of physics?

Members don't see this ad.

D.A said:
Would you happen to know if there are any dental schools out there that require only 1 semester of physics?

I haven't come across one. C'mon, physics is a blast!

D.A said:
U of L, U of K, Meharry, Medical school of Georgia are the only schools that require one semester of physics. I definitly did some research because I really REALLY did not want to take two semesters of physics. I do detest physics and I disagree with Sprgrover, physics is not a blast. However, I felt that I should not be limited because I was afraid of taking physics so I am now in second semester physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sprgrover said:
C'mon, my statement is filled with a healthy dose of sarcasm! ;)
:) I swear, its like a battle everyday in physics. I feel like I am living day by day in that class :( How was physics at your university?

grinningrice said:
:) I swear, its like a battle everyday in physics. I feel like I am living day by day in that class :( How was physics at your university?

I took a year of physics over the summer while working almost full-time. It was such a painful experience - exams every week, long homework assignments, silly labs, and on and on. The teacher was rather absent minded and would frequently launch into tangents concerning Star Trek and Klingon lore, none of which ever pertained to the topic at hand. His assistant quit so he took it upon himself to do all of the grading. Needless to say we never received any graded assignments back until the very end, and thus noone, myself included, knew if they were receiving an A or an F. I actually liked some of the material and was fascinated by it but for me there was absolutely no time to sit and appreciate the concepts, much less soak them in - it was a 'test and purge' learning environment. Oh yes, good times indeed! :D

It's funny, I'm reading this while taking a break from reading my physics book... Electric flux is just about killing me, and I really don't understand Gauss's Law. And it's only the second week of class! :eek: And to top it all off, my prof thinks that teaching is just reading the text book outloud (literally. "Ee equals sigma over epsilon subzero." Well, gee, that just makes everything so much clearer :rolleyes: )

Tzips said:
It's funny, I'm reading this while taking a break from reading my physics book... Electric flux is just about killing me, and I really don't understand Gauss's Law. And it's only the second week of class! :eek: And to top it all off, my prof thinks that teaching is just reading the text book outloud (literally. "Ee equals sigma over epsilon subzero." Well, gee, that just makes everything so much clearer :rolleyes: )
Im reading about Ohm's law and resistance.

I'm in the library at UMass and its funny because my physics class was just canceled. It's ok but, just don't see how its going to apply to dentistry!!!!!

amartins02 said:
I'm in the library at UMass and its funny because my physics class was just canceled. It's ok but, just don't see how its going to apply to dentistry!!!!!

Answer: it isn't :D. They just want you to take it. Maybe it's just their inherent sadism coming out :p , or, more likely, it's a holdover from the med schools (unless they plan on teaching us how the x-ray machines really work. Electrons, anyone?). And as to why the med schools require it, I'm strongly leaning towards sadism.

Nova and VCU will let you get away with a 1010 class and then the first half of the physics series. (even though their website says different)

DIRTIE said:
Nova and VCU will let you get away with a 1010 class and then the first half of the physics series. (even though their website says different)

What is a 1010 class?

This might be a stupid question...but does it matter which physics you take? the physics for biol. or for engineering (more calculus based)?

2tran said:
This might be a stupid question...but does it matter which physics you take? the physics for biol. or for engineering (more calculus based)?
Not at all, Im taking physics for technology majors