physics textbook (non-calculus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndyZX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, im going to need to buy a physics textbook, so i can relearn physics II over the fall. i am wondering if anyone has a certain one they can recommend.

Members don't see this ad.

try physics by james walker
its non calc
i am using it (for classes) right now and its pretty good for self learning ( my prof is a waste :mad:)
i recommend u go for 1st ed (the 2nd ed is identical and costs more $$)

Try Giancoli's Physics book. It has MCAT style practice questions as well.

confewshz

Originally posted by confewshz
Try Giancoli's Physics book. It has MCAT style practice questions as well.

confewshz

I'd recommend Cutnell and Johnson Physics. It's better than Giancoli in my opinion. I switched off between the two when I studied for physics exams at the library. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't really like giancoli....it's not "non-calculus" (unless you're talking about a different edition. I just used pr and kaplan books and it pretty much taught me all i needed to know.

If you're looking for a standard intro level physics textbook...I would recommend Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday/Resnick/Walker. The practice problems at the end of each chapter are pretty thorough and the example problems are also pretty helpful. If you're looking for a really in-depth problem-solving guide that would probably work better in terms of having the material "click" for you...I'd recommend The Portable TA: A Physics Problem Solving Guide by Andrew Elby. However, the latter might only be available at the Berkeley student bookstore because Andrew Elby was a graduate student here when he wrote it and he wrote the book specifically for the students in his lab section.

For MCAT purposes, you should try either Conceptual Physics (Hewitt I beleive) or Thinking Physics. Both are excellent and they present well thought, fundamental approaches. Neither reads like a typical text book.

Originally posted by Wilford Brimley
I'd recommend Cutnell and Johnson Physics. It's better than Giancoli in my opinion. I switched off between the two when I studied for physics exams at the library. :D

I've got a used copy of cutnell and johnson's physics text, student solutions manual, and the study guide... If somebody wanted lots of physics practice reps they could pm me and I'd sell these books to them.

I think EK's mcat physics book would be a good way to re-learn physics. This book isn't all inclusive but it will get you back on track.