Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milunn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan class and I was just wondering how everyone thought who has taken the class about how they prepared you. I am especially worried about physics. How well do they cover physics?

Members don't see this ad.

My Kaplan course covered everything, but the real value is in the materials they have to study from (especially the practice tests and MCAT type questions.) The place I took it, they had a huge library of all kinds of practice exams by section. I would go in and practice all kinds of MCAT-style physics questions concerning electromagnetism or whatever. I was glad I took it, but I wish I had spent more time studying the review materials they had in their office. Going to the actual lectures wasn't very helpful to me. If your really concerned about physics, find a tutor. Kaplan will help you prepare well, but they assume you understand the concepts and the lectures are really just a rapid review of major topics. If you feel your grip of the material is weak conceptually, then I would recommend getting a tutor AND using Kaplan (if you have the $$) In the end, I feel Kaplan is the best review program out there, but it's largely up to you how much you get out of it (medical school is that way too) Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by UHS03 (edited 02-04-2000).]

Thanks for the info. I also wondering how much time you spent studying for the MCAT. I am sure you know how hard it is to take classes and study. I was just wondering if you had any tips.

I started studying in November for the April MCAT. I was a senior, and my clas load wasn't too tough so I pretty much concentrated on the MCAT. That's another reason those review courses are good, they get you started studying early. My advice is to give yourself a good 6 months, start light, and by the time March comes around you'll be hitting the books hard. If you are planning on taking the April test this year, you'll have to start pounding books right away, at least if it were me I would have to. Make a schedule and decide ahead of time what topics you are going to cover on what days. Stick to that schedule (easier said than done!) If I were you, I would spent 75% of my time just doing practice problems. The MCAT doesn't test very difficult topics, but it applies them in a way that may not be obvious. The more practice you have with that type of question, the more prepared you will be. I spent too much time mulling over books and not enough time doing practice problems, while I did well enough to get into school, I didn't do as well as I wanted. I can't emphasize this enough..do tons of practice MCAT questions. Kaplan has a huge store of practice problems..do every one of them. Come April or August you'll be primed to ace it! By the way, I found the full length practic eexams that Kaplan administered to us were very indicitive of my actual score. People told me that I would drop a point or two in every section from my practice scores, but I didn't (except for the physics section)..but we really don't have to get into that
smile.gif
If there's anything else I can do, let me know! Good luck!