PIC $21/hr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junfan50

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my friends just shared this recent job posting. It's close to where I grew up. I'm very tempted to apply just to see which company posted it.

Interim PIC

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would apply just to see if this was legit and just laugh during the interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
To all the retail pharmacists out there who think they deserve 6-figure salaries and unions to protect them... come to grips with reality please.

This can’t be right. Something is off here

To all the retail pharmacists out there who think they deserve 6-figure salaries and unions to protect them... come to grips with reality please.
There, I fixed it for you.

Sadly, there will be legitimate applicants for this position, hoping to "get their foot in the door."

Reactions: 1 users
I dunno about you guys but I am 100% prepared to start work outside of pharmacy and feel great about it. If pharmacy does not work out long term I would start looking at other options like sales or some sort of management roll. It’s not the end of the world.

Something else to think about... Pharmacy needs professionals, not D bags... If all of the quality starts to leave pharmacy due to conditions, sooner or later these retail chains will start begging for the pros to come back. If they keep filling their ranks with D bags they will start to suffer.

Reactions: 4 users
^the assumption is that they don’t tank before they come to this realization.

^the assumption is that they don’t tank before they come to this realization.

Yea that’s a good point. Pharmacy is being financially squeezed to the point where a lot of the chains are starting to fold or just opt out of the business. It makes me wonder if it will start to make way for more opportunities to start independents that focus more on cash billing. I don’t know... Its cause for worry but we should be confident that we have desirable skills that would cross over to other fields as well.

Hell - I would go to work at McDonald’s as a line cook, and start pushing promotion within. I would be a district manager within a year and then the sky is the limit. There is opportunity everywhere and I don’t consider myself too good, or unqualified, for any of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Look on the bright side. Minimum wage might be $15 dollar soon so you know a pharmacist will be guaranteed that.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gives a whole new meaning to value based reimbursement.
$15/hr with tips makes a lot of sense.

Read off the label of the prescription when “counseling” me, making me wait 20 min while you google a drug-related question, or having an intern counsel me? No tip for you!

$15/hr with tips makes a lot of sense.

Read off the label of the prescription when “counseling” me, making me wait 20 min while you google a drug-related question, or having an intern counsel me? No tip for you!

Someones been to wal mart lately....lol unstoppable interruptions in the workflow.....

One of my friends just shared this recent job posting. It's close to where I grew up. I'm very tempted to apply just to see which company posted it.

Interim PIC

I noticed the company name was "confidential" , yeah i would do the same if i were offering 21$ an hour. But on the other hand these are usually independents who cannot afford to pay the BIG salaries anymore like WG, CVS, WM....etc...

Someones been to wal mart lately....lol unstoppable interruptions in the workflow.....

Have you ever worked at a high volume Walgreens in a mandatory counseling state? You literally cannot finish a thought without being interrupted.

nah , your talking texas? but yeah i've heard, thats rediculous...."ok take 1 capsule....3 X daily," " DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?" "its on the bottle if you forget" DONE! .........jesus we gave them a bottle with clear instructions and a monograph and everything.....

I dunno about you guys but I am 100% prepared to start work outside of pharmacy and feel great about it. If pharmacy does not work out long term I would start looking at other options like sales or some sort of management roll. It’s not the end of the world.

Something else to think about... Pharmacy needs professionals, not D bags... If all of the quality starts to leave pharmacy due to conditions, sooner or later these retail chains will start begging for the pros to come back. If they keep filling their ranks with D bags they will start to suffer.

I agree with you that there is no shortage for pharm Ds but there is for good pharmacists. But I highly doubt that retail will ever need pros since they don't seem to want to utilize pharmacists as such. There will always be a steady supply of young, desperate and easily manipulated grads to fill their carcass count.

And if I already spent the time and money to buy myself out of pharmacy, I honestly don't see any reason beyond money (again) to jump back in , at least not for retail.

nah , your talking texas? but yeah i've heard, thats rediculous...."ok take 1 capsule....3 X daily," " DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?" "its on the bottle if you forget" DONE! .........jesus we gave them a bottle with clear instructions and a monograph and everything.....
No Illinois. Try doing that in a happy healthy near corporate that does over 500 a day on your own. See how happy you are after that.

me and a buddy at work talk about this all the time - a good RPh is definitely worth the high salary in a hospital environment (make a few interventions that can save a lot of $$, set up proper protocols, etc) - but if all you do is check that product A matches what the label said - a bar code machine can do that and is probably more accurate.

Reactions: 5 users
This should be shared in the prepharm forum. Those poor naive students think they'll make 120k+ 4 years from now.

Did they remove the pay from the ad? I don't see it. Imagine going to interview without knowing the salary and they offer you $21/hr lol. Thats modestanteater's dream come true.

Reactions: 2 users

Interim PIC
did you every apply? curious - the position is not posted anymore

I agree with you that there is no shortage for pharm Ds but there is for good pharmacists. But I highly doubt that retail will ever need pros since they don't seem to want to utilize pharmacists as such. There will always be a steady supply of young, desperate and easily manipulated grads to fill their carcass count.

And if I already spent the time and money to buy myself out of pharmacy, I honestly don't see any reason beyond money (again) to jump back in , at least not for retail.

100% agree. if you paid your debt, your done. And yes, eventually the companies will have constant turnover and lagging sales, profit, script growth, and over-all performance. We all know these new younger pharms are NOT prepared for whats going on today. These big companies have some agenda, and since i dont know what it is, i assume it revolves around money. The answer to 99 of 100 problems. so yeah, theres a reason EVERY big chain is throwing the word "accountability" around and letting go massive numbers of pharmacists. Then pushing you to the brink of insanity. they want the revolving door idea probably to keep dropping salaries over time. It's open season on pharmacists now.

me and a buddy at work talk about this all the time - a good RPh is definitely worth the high salary in a hospital environment (make a few interventions that can save a lot of $$, set up proper protocols, etc) - but if all you do is check that product A matches what the label said - a bar code machine can do that and is probably more accurate.
Back in 2006, I had a local friend set me up with a visit to a large hospital in Munich. Something like a thousand beds, if I remember correctly. They had employed grand total of 3,5 FTEs of pharmacists. They were doing just fine. How many pharmacists would a US hospital of a similar size employ?

• Wow
This. I hope all the good pharmacists man up and leave.

This is needless fear mongering.. I don't predict rph salary going below $35 an hour (not that $35 is acceptable).

This is needless fear mongering.. I don't predict rph salary going below $35 an hour (not that $35 is acceptable).

I've seen $25 at the lowest. I am used to seeing ads for $35-45 for many independent pharmacies in the southeast region.

$21/hour wins for the lowest advertised pharmacist pay. But here's a northeast contender: a fresh craigslist ad for $30-$40/hour independent staff pharmacist in Montgomery County Maryland (ranked 11th out of all US counties in per capita income), just outside of Washington DC. It says "No benefits" too. The good news: it's full-time! Back in January I posted a nearly identical ad ($30-40/hr Jersey City, NJ) on here. Today these salaries are so well below average that a lot of people deny them and think they're fake. In another two years, these outliers will be established as the new norm.

• Wow
  • Sad
At that salary I'd rather go drive a truck or something. PIC is a ****ty job and good pay is the only reason to do it.

$35 an hour was the pharmacist salary in the very low cost of living state (Nebraska) back in 2004... That's basically 15 years of progress being erased.
System may be totally different in Germany. Although 3,5 does seem impossibly low assuming they do any kind of checking at all.
Yes it is totally different. I don't think they did any order checking in terms of individual patient orders at all, but they did QC testing of the drug supplies they received from wholesalers. As far as patient care, if I remember correctly, they wrote protocols at such. And did custom compounds. This just shows that they way things are done here and now is not the only way and pharmacists are not truly indispensable, we are only needed as long as a law reserves certain duties for pharmacists only. And laws can change.

It was interesting to see some people saying $35 is still acceptable in 2010.