Pick a Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

No it was a pretty general comment.
I would ask, how does one even consider going to medical school without having an idea of what he would like to do for the rest of his life? As we all know a MD can specialize in one (or more...) specialties from such a vast list. I would question the person going to medical school without an idea of what he would like to do about his motives. Why obtain an MD if you don't know what you want to do with it, for the prestige?

Granted, many change their mind once they are thoroughly exposed to each specialty, but that doesn't make their initial aspirations fruitless by any stretch.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
reconstructive microsurgery is at the top...(if I want to be in training for the rest of my life)

I'm also interested in ENT, surgical oncology, anesthesiology and urology
 
And all your previous surgical experience brought you to this conclusion?

yeeeees....pretty sure that this was a snide remark, but just in case... I had absolutely no interest in medicine until my mom made me shadow a surgeon.
I have been reading these forums for a long time, and I have typically found your posts to be good... so please... be nice.

Because it's a little concerning that someone would be so dead-set on something without having much if any experience in multiple specialties.

When I wrote my post I don't think I was giving you guys enough credit. My apologies. I see where yall are coming from.

HAHAHAHA. Maybe some ppl are set on things for the money. But I agree. You can't be dead set on something you have limited exposure to.

And Cole, awesome signature by the way 👍

If I was dead set on money I would buy a lotto ticket 😉
 
Last edited:
So, maybe that poster was making a poor joke, but it IS a real field, with the potential to really help a lot of kids who need it.

Oh, I know it's a real field, like peds uro, but I just don't expect most people to give it as the specialty they want, especially without being through clerkships. I kind of assume it's just a bad joke when it comes up on Pre-allo.
 
I would ask, how does one even consider going to medical school without having an idea of what he would like to do for the rest of his life? As we all know a MD can specialize in one (or more...) specialties from such a vast list. I would question the person going to medical school without an idea of what he would like to do about his motives? Why obtain an MD if you don't know what you want to do with it, for the prestige?

Granted, many change their mind once they are thoroughly exposed to each specialty, but that doesn't make their initial aspirations fruitless by any stretch.
👍
 
I'm the most indecisive person I know and I literally change my mind everyday. I know it's too early to think about picking a specialty when you're pre-med, but if I had to choose today, I'd go with Neurology. Or Surgery. Or Immunology.
 
Oncology. From a problem solving standpoint it seems about as interesting as it gets, especially with new research for drug delivery being done.
 
Ob/gyn without a doubt for a million reasons. Personal and otherwise. At this point I am not interested in anything else but we will see what happens in my 3rd and 4th year of med school.