Picking a major!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramiro209

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm having trouble deciding on a major that is not only preferred by admissions but also provides an opportunity for a decent living ($30,000 + annually). I just finished my second semester as a freshman and I have a 3.75 cummulative GPA with a 4.0 in my prerequisite course. I have desired to be a PT since I was had a bad back injury when I was 15. I am also interested in Criminal Justice but I just wonder if an admissions committee would frown upon it. Any suggestions would be appreciated ! Thank you!

-Also, does a minor have any relevance to the selection process?

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you live? $30,000 does not sound like a decent living. You can pretty much major in whatever you want, as long as you complete the required prerequisite courses for each particular school you are applying to. If you are going to be going to physical therapy school after you get your degree, it makes sense to choose a science major where those pre-req courses are already built into that major.

I plan on entering a PT program after I get my degree but am just worried if I don't get accepted into one right away. I live in Central California, really cheap housing. I just don't want to end up working as a waiter or something else where my expensive education won't be utilized.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exercise Science/physiology is by far the most popular undergrad for pre-PT followed by biology, kinesiology, health science, psychology, athletic training. I am studying AT in my undergrad but its demanding with clinical requirements.

I earned my bachelors in exercise science and loved every class. But it's worthless degree by itself. You can get a job with it, but good luck finding a career. You will be hard pressed to find a career with this degree by itself. That being said, if you are sure you will get into PT school you would be well served to major in it. With how some schools are so GPA oriented, I would choose something easy like psychology. Kick butt in those classes and then take the 8-10 Pre reqs. The ex Sci majors can have some challenging stuff that will help you prepare for PT school, but if you aren't prepared to do well you might never make it to PT school.

Basically if you are in a position to do well and get good grades, do an ex Sci based degree. If you know you are going to struggle or have some time restraints, earn an easier major and focus on the prereqs. Good luck!

Thank you, I feel like I'm doing great but I'm transferring to a University, would majoring in Biology be too difficult while trying to complete the prereqs?

My wife is a Bio major and she graduates in 5 days (WOOT!!) and was accepted into PT school, which starts May 25th. A lot of the pre reqs will go towards a Bio degree or at least round out your electives.