Picking med schools as a post bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm picking out schools, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if I have a decent shot at some schools. cGPA is a 3.5+ and sGPA is around a 3.4+. However, I've had a 3.8 in my two years as a post-bac and last year in undergrad (UC and bio major). First three years were 3.3-3.4 range. 30 MCAT and pretty decent/unique ECs.

Basically, how should my post-bac performance influence my search? Should I only pick schools with a median gpa around my own or can I aim for schools with a 3.6-3.7?

(I'm also aware I should keep the MCAT in mind, but want advice on the GPA aspect of things)

Gratzie.
You will have to use your MCAT as the best metric to pick your OOS schools.
If they read your application they will decide how to interpret your gpa.
 
  • Like
Reactions: lmn
Stick to low-tier MD, along with a sizable number of DO schools. The upward trend is encouraging, but the 30 is below the average for MD matriculants. I think you'll matriculate to medical school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You will have to use your MCAT as the best metric to pick your OOS schools.
If they read your application they will decide how to interpret your gpa.

What are the possible ways the schools will interpret the GPA? His overall GPAs aren't horrendous.
 
What are the possible ways the schools will interpret the GPA? His overall GPAs aren't horrendous.
Schools will decide if they want to use his undergrad gpa's and think he is a fairly "meh"/nothing special student with a slight upward trend, or if they want to base mostly off his post-bacc and assume he is a stronger student.

But in all reality, OP's lower mcat is the thing holding them back and choosing what schools they can apply to. A 3.4/3.5 vs a 3.8 isn't going to matter much imo since the 30 mcat is the big talking point.
 
Honestly, I think you have a good chance in applying into some competitive schools, for example, UC Davis or UCLA. I have two friends that had a undergrad gpa of a 3.0 and a 3.8 post-bacc and got accepted to UCLA med. However, they had a strong personal statement letter and experience in the health field which I believe what got them in. I also know several students that got into UCD like that. Med schools are being more well rounded in their applicants now. It does not hurt to try and apply.