Pictures of the Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sending out 14 consult notes to her current prescribers?
I don’t send out consult notes to all the providers, just the PCP. All the providers writing scripts are required to check the PMP, so they are aware of all the poly pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Those pain MDs are part of the same group. I recognize a few of the names.

Either way, not getting in my clinic.

Reactions: 1 user
pars.jpg

Pretty pars.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing it all. 2 epidurals over a year. Ultram replaced Celebrex at age 89. A sprinkle of Robaxin.
Private insurance I take it?

I can't get Robaxin for Medicare pts usually. My fav muscle relaxer too, especially for geriatric pts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing well enough currently. Refuses surgery. You going to MILD 5 levels?
Are they symptomatic at all 5 levels? If they're doing fine with Celebrex/tramadol/robaxin and epidurals, no need to get heroic. If they're high risk for meds and deconditioning though, I'd go with a few levels now and rest in 3 months. It's a lot of fluoro and case time.

S1 TF with dex - 10ish days of benefit.
Caudal with Depo - Performed 10/2020. Follows back up today.

20220511_075724.jpg

20220511_075740.jpg

20220511_075733.jpg

Probably really poor sagittal balance. Likely multiple compression deformities throughout the T-spine leading to excessive kyphosis, in combination with the listhesis leading to far anterior center of gravity. Is patient ambulatory?

Probably really poor sagittal balance. Likely multiple compression deformities throughout the T-spine leading to excessive kyphosis, in combination with the listhesis leading to far anterior center of gravity. Is patient ambulatory?
Works in a warehouse. He's been nearly pain free since that caudal 10/2020.

I'm going to just repeat the caudal.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I would have probably done the same thing you did (maybe done the reverse - caudal first, then TFESI), but if someone gets more than 3-4 months relief after anything we do (especially > 1 year) I have a hard time giving myself (or the type of steroid) the credit for it. Maybe I’m jaded.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been injecting this hip for 2 yrs. Fracture pre-existing his injections. Not sure if I've ever posted this. He's late 90s...98 maybe?

Fell (again) last weekend. Shows up yesterday and I did a GTB CSI. His limb is high riding (wasn't as bad as it is now). I will no longer be injecting his "joint."

Yes, the "hip CSI" reliably helped him the 3-4 times I did it. No integrity in the joint obviously.

Contrast patterns were funny each time, but I'm no longer comfortable with it.

20220518_084735.jpg

• Wow
I've been injecting this hip for 2 yrs. Fracture pre-existing his injections. Not sure if I've ever posted this. He's late 90s...98 maybe?

Fell (again) last weekend. Shows up yesterday and I did a GTB CSI. His limb is high riding (wasn't as bad as it is now). I will no longer be injecting his "joint."

Yes, the "hip CSI" reliably helped him the 3-4 times I did it. No integrity in the joint obviously.

Contrast patterns were funny each time, but I'm no longer comfortable with it.

View attachment 354875
pretty good joint space for a 98 y/o!!!

I was always uncomfortable with it but no one will fix it and he's utterly miserable.

This is the neck of someone referred to me for cesi. Unfused posterior elements? I found a few case reports of it.
I usually enter at 7/1- I almost canceled case but ended up entering at T2/3. Instead of LOR, I used contrast injected with incremental advancement. Out of curiosity, what would you all have done. I did review MRI- it really wasn’t obvious.

Attachments

• 943A6368-68D3-4F39-80F6-6A4220D5222C.jpeg
    943A6368-68D3-4F39-80F6-6A4220D5222C.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 5885C45D-5810-4D63-8A3F-AA1F7E0E64ED.jpeg
    5885C45D-5810-4D63-8A3F-AA1F7E0E64ED.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 106
Assuming MRI looks normal in terms of LF, epidural fat, I wouldn't have treated any different, still gone 7/1. Not uncommon to see at L5, still do ESIs there.

Reactions: 1 users
Bifid spinous process with incomplete fusion. Touch lamina a cm lateral to SP. walk off superiorly and medially. No biggie. CLO eliminates the problem.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for the input, the incomplete looking lamina is what really got me nervous. Thought it was interesting enough to share. Wish my pictures were a bit clearer.

i think the lamina are still there. i wouldnt have changed anything on my approach

Thanks for the input, the incomplete looking lamina is what really got me nervous. Thought it was interesting enough to share. Wish my pictures were a bit clearer.

T1 sagittal is your friend, assess for presence of epidural fat. If you are a dinosaur like me and use LOR just be aware that you might not get a great loss and check a bit of contrast earlier.

Ortho PA referral: "Persistent pain due to osteoarthritis, history of ACL repair. Failed response to steroids and viscosupplementation. Please perform PRP injections."

Attachments

• 20220525_181537.jpg
    20220525_181537.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 91
What did the report say?

Interval complete tear of ACL graft compared to prior. No mention of it whatsoever in referral or PA note(who had ordered the MRI). Patient had no idea his graft was torn.

Mechanical symptoms -- buckling, locking, painful crepitus. Positive anterior drawer, Lachmann.

Sent patient back to ortho clinic with request, "please have patient see physician."

Reactions: 5 users
...just the messenger...

She said he offered her ozone treatments. Dr. Lobel, do you deny this accusation!?!?

20220527_100731.jpg

A little help here. I was unimpressed with imaging report from Rads. I cannot find a pedicle and that facet does not look right.

View attachment 356458

more saggital slices, please. i dont like the look of the vertebral body, either. this needs contrast enhanced MRI at the least. was pt referred for a kypho