PIMP Protector: A Medical Reference Guide for Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got an email this morning from amazon.com telling me about the release of this book. At first I was going to delete it right away like I always do thinking they are letting me know about a piece of crap that isn't worth buying, then I see the name of the author and became quite intrigued. No wonder the folks at his new institution raved about him when I visited, he wrote a book on pimping! He's well known among these parts by the way...

I might buy one for my sister this summer before she starts getting pimped during her rotations. Sounds like a winner, way to go!

Members don't see this ad.

So I got an email this morning from amazon.com telling me about the release of this book. At first I was going to delete it right away like I always do thinking they are letting me know about a piece of crap that isn't worth buying, then I see the name of the author and became quite intrigued. No wonder the folks at his new institution raved about him when I visited, he wrote a book on pimping! He's well known among these parts by the way...

I might buy one for my sister this summer before she starts getting pimped during her rotations. Sounds like a winner, way to go!
Wow, does sound like a good book.... maybe I should buy one.

http://www.amazon.com/PIMP-Protecto..._bbs_sr_1/002-7895649-5011241?ie=UTF8&s=books
http://www.lww.com/product/?978-0-7817-6999-0
;)
Q

I want mine autographed.. BTW, can we use it instead of tintinalli's? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Great name for a book, Q.

Congrats!

Take care,
Jeff

Hmmm, ...So Quinn's a PIMP, and he is showing us how to protect ourselves from him, hhmmm, PIMPERIFIC!!!:laugh:

Congratulations Quinn !!!!

Na Frickin Huh! That's so cool! So, is it really pocketsized?
The real question is if it protects against the ultimate pimper - the Q himself!

Um, if you look closely P.I.M.P. is supposed to stand for something - anyone know what?

Um, if you look closely P.I.M.P. is supposed to stand for something - anyone know what?
Nice job Quinn.....I want an autographed copy as well. :laugh:

Ah-Ha! The ultimate PIMP question!

Don't make me smack you wit my purple hat.

Q
PimpinEMC2.jpg

Ah-Ha! The ultimate PIMP question!

Don't make me smack you wit my purple hat.

Q

Your just creating more questions for me . . . Why are you wearing a purple hat . . .? Lack of Florida sun n' fun?

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey Dr. Q,
I checked out your book on LWW but I can only look at the table of contents. Since it is so new (no reviews on amazon.com), can you give me some more info on just how useful of a book this will really be other than the obvious title. I am interested in purchasing it though.
Thanks

I think he should provide us with review copies in exchange for us posting reviews on Amazon ;) :laugh:

Hey Dr. Q,
I checked out your book on LWW but I can only look at the table of contents. Since it is so new (no reviews on amazon.com), can you give me some more info on just how useful of a book this will really be other than the obvious title. I am interested in purchasing it though.
Thanks
check your PM box.
Q

I think that is showing favoritism...:mad:

This is what I wrote (I cut and pasted). I got nuttin but love for all of SDN.

So, it was my intern year. I was the intern on OB/GYN, L&D floor. All of the real OB residents seemed to busy, or just didnt' seem to care to teach to the M3 students... and often times I would get an M3 who would come up to me and say "Dude, what do I need to do when I round on a patient with pre-eclampsia (or post partum, or whatever)." I looked at them incredulously, having forgotten what it was like to really have to start seeing patients on your own as an M3. So, I wrote up a quick guide for the students on the OB rotation.

What you needed to know, pathophys wise and basic info wise on major topics (preeclampsia, post partum hemorrhage, mastitis, miscarriages, prolonged labor, PPROM, etc), what they needed to ask the patient (history), what they should look for (physical), what appropriate tests to order, and "pearls" that the OB residents and attendings always asked.

I handed this out to the students, and they all universally loved it. It got me thinking. There should be a book like that.

The aim of the book was to get any medical student able to know what htye need to know within 2-3 minutes of reading my book. Lets say your residents says you have to go down to the ER to admit a patient with chest pain (or lets say you're on your psych rotation and you have to write a progress note on a patient with schizophrenia or depression). You read the appropriate chapter in the book, learn what oyu need to ask on your history, what you need to find on your physical exam, what labs you should order or should have ordered, what is the general treatment of the disease, and a list of "Pearls" that people always asked on. Also included in each topic is an "evidenced based medicine" section. So, you can tell your attending/reisdent after you present your patient "we know that venous serum ammonia levels are congruent with arterial ammonia levels, contrary to what other people think. There was an article on it in Jama of 04 by Barton."

Nice. Very handy and a smallish book to easily fit in your labcoat. And its useful on ALL your rotations (surg, family, peds, psych, IM, EM, OB, whatever).

Hope this helps!

Quinn

So, it was my intern year. I was the intern on OB/GYN, L&D floor. All of the real OB residents seemed to busy, or just didnt' seem to care to teach to the M3 students... and often times I would get an M3 who would come up to me and say "Dude, what do I need to do when I round on a patient with pre-eclampsia (or post partum, or whatever)." I looked at them incredulously, having forgotten what it was like to really have to start seeing patients on your own as an M3. So, I wrote up a quick guide for the students on the OB rotation.

What you needed to know, pathophys wise and basic info wise on major topics (preeclampsia, post partum hemorrhage, mastitis, miscarriages, prolonged labor, PPROM, etc), what they needed to ask the patient (history), what they should look for (physical), what appropriate tests to order, and "pearls" that the OB residents and attendings always asked.

I handed this out to the students, and they all universally loved it. It got me thinking. There should be a book like that.

The aim of the book was to get any medical student able to know what htye need to know within 2-3 minutes of reading my book. Lets say your residents says you have to go down to the ER to admit a patient with chest pain (or lets say you're on your psych rotation and you have to write a progress note on a patient with schizophrenia or depression). You read the appropriate chapter in the book, learn what oyu need to ask on your history, what you need to find on your physical exam, what labs you should order or should have ordered, what is the general treatment of the disease, and a list of "Pearls" that people always asked on. Also included in each topic is an "evidenced based medicine" section. So, you can tell your attending/reisdent after you present your patient "we know that venous serum ammonia levels are congruent with arterial ammonia levels, contrary to what other people think. There was an article on it in Jama of 04 by Barton."

Nice. Very handy and a smallish book to easily fit in your labcoat. And its useful on ALL your rotations (surg, family, peds, psych, IM, EM, OB, whatever).

Hope this helps!

Quinn

Wow man that's great! Congrats!

Hope this helps!

Quinn

Pimptastic, pimperific, and pimpilicious!!! :horns:

Oh wait, I only get to say that on the Amazon review. :D

Hope this helps!

Quinn

I'm a year and a half off from clinicals, but I'll probably go ahead and buy one. Definitely sounds like it's worth the $30.

Agree with above note. :D

I guess I'll update the ol' Amazon Wish List...

Congrats Quinn! (Sorry, a little late, I've been in a hole studying for finals)

I'll have to buy it before July :)

Just remember, everyone: pimpin' ain't easy, but it's necessary...

Just remember, everyone: pimpin' ain't easy, but it's necessary...

Haha.

Is it weird that as a preclinical student I don't mind being pimped at all? If it's basic science I often remember the answer because it's fresh in my head. Plus, they don't actually expect you to get the answer RIGHT before 3rd year - so answering at all earns you bonus points :).

Haha.

Is it weird that as a preclinical student I don't mind being pimped at all? If it's basic science I often remember the answer because it's fresh in my head. Plus, they don't actually expect you to get the answer RIGHT before 3rd year - so answering at all earns you bonus points :).

Hell if a 3rd yr knows the answer it isnt a hard enough question..

pimp.jpg

For Quinn.. my favorite pimp ever the Bishop Don Magic Juan..

Green is for the money, and the yellow is for the honies!

Try walking into a surgery case one day, and having the attending ask you a question.

Now make it much worse by having him say "That's correct", and then turning to the resident and saying "You just got pimped by a third year medical student." Needless to say, the resident left the room, and I suffered in my eval. All for knowing an answer when asked.

Haha.

I like being pimped as a premed RT. :laugh: It's funny to watch the look on the resident's faces if I know the answer (which I do maybe 75% of the time; thank God for insomnia and a love of reading textbooks). :smuggrin:

Try walking into a surgery case one day, and having the attending ask you a question.

Now make it much worse by having him say "That's correct", and then turning to the resident and saying "You just got pimped by a third year medical student." Needless to say, the resident left the room, and I suffered in my eval. All for knowing an answer when asked.

That's Pimptastic!
Q

Plus, they don't actually expect you to get the answer RIGHT before 3rd year - so answering at all earns you bonus points :).

Wow, I want to be pimped by your docs. At the start of my second year, I was shadowing an anesthesiologist (turns out, he's the Chief, so my fault), and got pimped on all kinds of things that I had no clue about; then was berrated in front of the staff and patient for not knowing the answer ("Well it was in _______ did you not read that?!"). On the upside, his scathing remarks made me remember the answers to all of his questions, and I now know the cause of unilateral jaundice, as published in 1929.

I just want to chime in with everyone else and offer Dr. Q yet another congratulations on getting published. Seems like this was a fun book to write. And can I also get in line for an autographed copy? ;)

Hey Quinn. Just wanted to let you know that I pre-ordered my copy from amazon.com and look forward to reading it.

Happy Holidays!!

Hey Quinn. Just wanted to let you know that I pre-ordered my copy from amazon.com and look forward to reading it.

Happy Holidays!!

VT-

make sure when you're rotating in the ED or with some of the medicine attendings that you show that book off... some of the attendings there helped with certain topics (although I did about 98% of the book). If i'm ever down in tampa i'll autograph it for you!
Q

When is the book going to be released?

I think I'm going to order one considering I have managed to forgot everything I've learned over the span of 3 years, in just 4 weeks.

I think I'm going to order one considering I have managed to forgot everything I've learned over the span of 3 years, in just 4 weeks.

just like in college, if you put the Pimp Protector under your pillow, you might learn from osmosis.

Q

just like in college, if you put the Pimp Protector under your pillow, you might learn from osmosis.

Q
Personally I keep my pimp protectors in the nightstand next to the bed.......oh, wait.....you meant your book.....oops, my bad! :laugh:

I just "pre-ordered" one on AMazon... what does that even mean? WHen does it come out?

VT-

make sure when you're rotating in the ED or with some of the medicine attendings that you show that book off... some of the attendings there helped with certain topics (although I did about 98% of the book). If i'm ever down in tampa i'll autograph it for you!
Q

I'll do that Quinn. Also, any chance of a PDA version coming out?