Pinnacle Anesthesia Consultants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know what I am going to do. I like where I work but its complicated and I have personal reasons (an ailing mom I need to care for) for wanting to make more $.
here are the options.
1. eat what you kill start up -- great guys but no guarantee of income or hours. doing own cases
2. PP group that does very basic cases nothing exciting - 360k 1099 4 weeks vacation one in four call never really called but you get the late room. head of the group did not even want to give me a contract... now that I say ok conversation over they are supposedly putting one together. has a bunch of drs all happy no one leaves. no contract is good and bad -- terminate at any time but no non compete. some doing own some med direction
3. PP group that my lawyer suggests is doing something shady tax wise (see above discussion) 90 day termination 2 year non compete w 200,000 buyout - that job is 375 for a w2 position - no benefits and I have to pay my own malpractice etc. call is one in 7-8 for first and back up call, call back is light. some more complex cases - vascular, thoracic, ortho. driving around town, own cases
4. AMC job -- 400 give or take, work more make more as shifts are compensated. benefits. trauma center w ob so calls can be busy. 6 calls a month post call off. mostly supervision - more than 4 rooms possible.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Job number 2 is a seems like a very low offer for 1:4 call, especially with 1099 and 4 weeks vaca. Is that a partner track leading to more income and vacation later?
3 doesn't sound so great either. Malpractice and good insurance are expensive.
4 sounds like it should be a 600k job. You're paying a heavy tax to the corporate overlords.
1 might be the best option, but it's obviously a little riskier.

--
Il Destriero

Of those four, I'd take the risk and go with option 1. With the high call frequency and little vacation with option 2, I'd expect the pay to be more. Also, I wouldn't trust any group that didn't want to offer me a contract. Option 3 sounds a bit too shady, particularly with the lack odd benefits and driving all about town to do cases. I would never work for an AMC that does mostly supervision, and possibly exceeds 4:1, regardless of the higher pay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what I am going to do. I like where I work but its complicated and I have personal reasons (an ailing mom I need to care for) for wanting to make more $.
here are the options.
1. eat what you kill start up -- great guys but no guarantee of income or hours. doing own cases
2. PP group that does very basic cases nothing exciting - 360k 1099 4 weeks vacation one in four call never really called but you get the late room. head of the group did not even want to give me a contract... now that I say ok conversation over they are supposedly putting one together. has a bunch of drs all happy no one leaves. no contract is good and bad -- terminate at any time but no non compete. some doing own some med direction
3. PP group that my lawyer suggests is doing something shady tax wise (see above discussion) 90 day termination 2 year non compete w 200,000 buyout - that job is 375 for a w2 position - no benefits and I have to pay my own malpractice etc. call is one in 7-8 for first and back up call, call back is light. some more complex cases - vascular, thoracic, ortho. driving around town, own cases
4. AMC job -- 400 give or take, work more make more as shifts are compensated. benefits. trauma center w ob so calls can be busy. 6 calls a month post call off. mostly supervision - more than 4 rooms possible.

thoughts?

Option 1. But make sure they blend units and you have equal access to schedule. Eat what you kill can be gamed so many ways......

Reactions: 2 users
problem with option one is that most of its out of network billing.... something destined not to last. also questionable business. I agree that its the best way to make the most per hour but if Im only working a couple hours that doesn't work. with student loans that's not an option

Reactions: 1 user
I'd look for option #5 as all the ones you listed are awful. Residents take note - this, or worse, is the job market you will be entering.

I agree all those jobs sound crappy. If the primary motivation is $, can you just start picking up additional shifts at your current gig? Or some locus on the side?

My old group did mostly out of network billing (well for the pts that weren't govt pay at least - which was the minority). It worked out well, but you need really tenacious billers that will chase every last penny. The Ins companies employ many tricks to try to avoid paying non-contract rates so you need to know the work arounds.

I'd look for option #5 as all the ones you listed are awful. Residents take note - this, or worse, is the job market you will be entering.

yes kiddos, there are people here that would kill for these jobs.... that cant even get an interview with 1-3... I was lucky to get an interview and only did so because someone personally recommended me for all four.... people I had worked with prior. I don't have that much to compare it to but this is the market and its not going to get any better....​

What region are these jobs and how urban? Are they in major/medium sized cities?

yes kiddos, there are people here that would kill for these jobs.... that cant even get an interview with 1-3... I was lucky to get an interview and only did so because someone personally recommended me for all four.... people I had worked with prior. I don't have that much to compare it to but this is the market and its not going to get any better....​

I wouldn't kill for any of those jobs but I sure would die if I were forced to work in one of them. Anyway, congrats on getting 4 interviews at a time when some people can get none. FYI, we are hiring a part time anesthesiologist for our surgery center - 3 days of 7-3 work, no call, no nights, no weekends. $200k

I wouldn't kill for any of those jobs but I sure would die if I were forced to work in one of them. Anyway, congrats on getting 4 interviews at a time when some people can get none. FYI, we are hiring a part time anesthesiologist for our surgery center - 3 days of 7-3 work, no call, no nights, no weekends. $200k

Are there really people who can't get interviews?

Is that 1099 or w2?

Where? I am seriously interested. I just have a feeling you are not in my neighborhood. :)

here are the options.

thoughts?

Believe me, I'm taking note...this is scary

Believe me, I'm taking note...this is scary

As a 1099 contractor vs w2 u pay more in taxes right for the 1099? (Payroll taxes?) ....ill have to read the posted references above

Sheridan health benefits sucked last time I looked at them back in 2010/2011.

My friend just signed with team health who's health benefits are actually really good (essentially a $7-9k real benefit from what's offered on the health care individual market should one choose to go 1099.

Both Sheridan and team health offer occurrence

USAP (original Orlando/Dallas/Houston ) benefits kinda of suck. I looked over ft worth usap contract for a friend of mine (yes I have lots of connections the field). They don't offer to pay the tail and I wouldn't ever agree to the non compete radius they included the contract.

So one should always factor in benefits in a contract. A malpractice tail can run up to $40k depending how long you have stayed with the practice.

My lawyer freaked bc the contract seems to treat me as an employee when it suits their purposes and an independent contractor when that suits their purposes.... There was some clause that said if the irs audits the group and I'm found to be an employee I'm liable for the penalties interest etc not the group. I haven't decided what I'm doing....
When I decide I'll definitely share my thoughts if there's interest....

May I ask what you ended up choosing?