Pissed at my A-/B- in postbac: Focus on MCAT now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of pissed at my A- and B- in the post bac at a low ranking public uni. :( I guess my gpa will be like 3.7 now culmative.

Cell bio and developmental bio were the classes.
I am now on getting a high MCAT and compensating by scoring a few points higher. I'm taking ownership of my life/this process and saying screw it to all the naysayers/negative poeple that take away my autonomy/agency.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sort of pissed at my A- and B- in the post bac :( I guess my gpa will be like 3.7 now culmative.

Cell bio and developmental bio were the classes.
Should I just focus now on getting a high MCAT and compensating by scoring a few points higher?

Focus on doing everything, including your remaining classes, well. 3.7 is a completely acceptable GPA to gain admission to medical school.

I am not going to fret over and dig myself in a whole over not achieveing my goals in these classes. I am done with the classes now. except for 2 exams that i have to take.

I realize that everything is a balancing act and as soon as I can compensate for it the mcat, that will be fine.

I really think that it is important as a n applicant to take ownership of your application and not thinking that no matter what you do, it wouldn't be good enough so you get into an inertia zone. That's lethal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't forgotten you orangeblue.

Always maintain a forward-looking attitude. 3.7 is acceptable.

I am not going to fret over and dig myself in a whole over not achieveing my goals in these classes. I am done with the classes now. except for 2 exams that i have to take.

I realize that everything is a balancing act and as soon as I can compensate for it the mcat, that will be fine.

I really think that it is important as a n applicant to take ownership of your application and not thinking that no matter what you do, it wouldn't be good enough so you get into an inertia zone. That's lethal.

I'm not exactly sure how your post relates to my post, but

talkingegg.gif

theWUBear,

You are too kind. I appreciate your strong words and that you remember me.

I am actually seeing a therapist regarding some of the self-defeating tendencies I have acquired over the past few years re: medical school goals and how it is only sabotaging me.

A big part of it was/is: berating myself and not encouraging myself and not taking ownership of how I (OrangeBlue) wants her application to be. Instead, I signed off my own autonomy to some hypothetical "AdmissionsOfficer" and instead became inert.

I now realize that there are many ways to get to medical school and that I should feel confident in doing things my way.

Out of curiosity, if you got a 3.2 (A- and B-) post-bac gpa and this brought down your gpa to a 3.7, what made you do a post-bac in the first place when you had a 3.7+ gpa?

Out of curiosity, if you got a 3.2 (A- and B-) post-bac gpa and this brought down your gpa to a 3.7, what made you do a post-bac in the first place when you had a 3.7+ gpa?

She probably didn't have the 3.7+ undergrad GPA, but rather a 4.0 postbacc GPA that was brought down to a 3.7. (undergrad + postbacc GPA are calculated separately, hopefully reflecting an extreme strong upward trend).

OP, if you are in a "career-changer" track, then a 3.7 is still very competitive. If not, do you have more semesters to take?