Pitt Memorial --North Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anencephalic

Brainless User
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the program and care to share? I'd like to do some 4th year electives there...any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there this year. Pitt Memorial is a great hospital. Financially, they are consistently in the black. The pathology facilities reflect this. They have state of the art whatever you could want. The residents are friendly and happy with the program. Greenville is in the middle of nowhere, but it is really inexpensive to live there and they have most of the big chain restaurants and stores. They are still a pretty young program, so their reputation in North Carolina is not the best of all of the pathology programs. What turned me off a little was that they are not very supportive of research. They flat out told me that if I was interested in research, I might want to look somewhere else. Otherwise, it could be an awesome place to do a Pathology residency.

Interviewed there this past cycle as well.. I will echo the above sentiments. The path residency program at PCM is actually of fairly recent vintage, apparently a local private practice group was basically assimilated by the hospital, and the training you get reflects this. Great for straight up community practice, less so for academically inclined folks. Greenville is admittedly the boondocks, but on the plus side you can get some damn fine BBQ.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads up...I'm actually more interested in private practice after residency, but I'll surely keep my options open. Thanks again for the replies! Anyone else, feel free to add...

I previously (04-05) worked with one of the men responsible for getting this program off the ground way back when. And he specifically told me that in NC, there are only 2 solid choices for pathology residency, Duke and Carolina.