Pittsburgh Interview Invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaNEM

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I just got an email from Pitt saying that they reviewed my application and that I would receive an interview invite in the mail shortly. I was elated at first, but then I began to think:

First, I applied MD/PhD, and the invite didn't say whether the invite was for MD or MD/PhD. I mean, I just submitted both apps last week!

Second, my MD/PhD recs haven't even been sent yet! I can't see them inviting me to interview MD/PhD if they don't even have any research letters!

Obviously, I'm just going to have to call them and ask specifically what they are interviewing me for, but I was just wondering if anyone else got this email from Pitt. And if so, are you applying MD only or MD/PhD?

Members don't see this ad.

hey CanEM - i got it and another md/phder got it as well - i am going to call them now and ask about what the deal is. the invite is only for md - but we'll have to see how they are going to coordinate the phd interviews - i imagine that will have to take place later. i'll find out ...
-jot

ok just called them - they said the best thing to do is to wait to hear from mstp, since they have certain days for interviewing (2 day interviews). so if the mstp gives us an interview, then just notify the md office, and if we get rejected mstp, then just tell the md office to set up a 1 day interview.

to recap - wait until mstp tells you.

-jot

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Jot. So I shouldnt even call? Or should I let them know I'm waiting for the MSTP answer?

They should coordinate these things!

according to them you just wait to hear from mstp. they won't take it back because you hadn't called;) i should submit their secondary at some point - and their mstp application. this gives me some motivation to do it.

I just got the invite for regular MD. My first interview! I am totally stoked! :clap: I went ahead and scheduled it for Friday, September 13th. No, I am not superstitious. I am feelin' good...

just curious, how many days after receiving the secondary email did you guys receive the interview invitation?

& what was your Pitt transmission date? :confused:

are you all MD/Ph.D or just MD? i haven't in my secondary yet, but i'm curious....

me and canem are md/phd - but doc oc is md i believe. i haven't gotten my secondary in either or mstp app - they are doing invites from primaries i guess. i was transmitted on 7/10 or something - got an e-mail about secondaries on 7/30 but i hadn't done anything about it since.

I sent in my Pitt secondary and MSTP application about 1 week ago. I have no idea if the interview invite was based on AMCAS or on the Pitt secondary, but it usually takes them more than a week to go over things. My guess is that they sent me the interview invite based on AMCAS, just like Jot.

Ok, now I am wondering...

If Pitt sends interview invites based only on AMCAS, I wonder what they would do if you showed up for the interview but NEVER submitted their secondary or a fee!

Not that I'm advising anyone to try it... :)

I got the email today too, but I think I'll just wait till I get the letter invitation to call them and schedule. Do they give you a bunch of dates to choose from? My adviser who is writing my committee letter won't be back till August 26, so I assume it will be a few weeks after that when my letters of rec will be done and I can interview.

Originally posted by mws99
I got the email today too, but I think I'll just wait till I get the letter invitation to call them and schedule. Do they give you a bunch of dates to choose from? My adviser who is writing my committee letter won't be back till August 26, so I assume it will be a few weeks after that when my letters of rec will be done and I can interview.

You might get an interview before your letter is in. My application wasn't complete. I was missing one letter.

Also, here are the dates:

amcas received by them 7/23, secondary received by me 7/30, secondary submitted 8/2, interview invite 8/8

They gave me a choice of dates. They interview on Mon, Tue, and Fri.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
I just got the invite for regular MD. My first interview! I am totally stoked! :clap: I went ahead and scheduled it for Friday, September 13th. No, I am not superstitious. I am feelin' good...

Congratulations!!! :clap: :clap: Your success knows no bounds. You do us Vikings proud. :cool:

Originally posted by Resident Alien

Congratulations!!! :clap: :clap: Your success knows no bounds. You do us Vikings proud. :cool:

Thanks for being my cheerleader again :)
Now if I can just get an interview at CWRUSOM...

Go Vikings!

fried of mine, 4.0 32 MCAT also got the nod for an interview. Funny thing is he has not submitted any letters.

its only based on the primary - because they have nothing else from me at all - i just sent in my stuff today

Jot, I am surprised UPitt is interviewing you. This blows holes in my underground medical school communication theory

Originally posted by longhorn
Jot, I am surprised UPitt is interviewing you. This blows holes in my underground medical school communication theory

What?

Being a SDN 2005er, I really have no input, except to note how amazing all of you guys are :clap: :clap: :clap:

Especially jot -- it's def. all about the punjabi sharabis, my friend ;) :D

Anyway, return to your real applicant talk. Just an interjection to keep you guys riding this wave of good feelings...:clap:

Originally posted by longhorn

Huh? What underground med school theory? Jot's a pretty amazing applicant, as you can tell from the SDN boards. Don't...understand...

i think that was a compliment - and a diss to pitt:laugh: its a great place.

punjabi sharabis

no sharabis up in here!;)

What is the average GPA for UPitt......or what kind of GPA's did those have that got interviews.

X

Yay I am super-duper excited!!
yipppppppeeeeeeeeeee yipppeeeeeeeee
I just got my 1st invite!!! esp. b/c Pitt is so super-cool at transplantation immunology/surgery = stuff i love
(future interview :
Interviewer: why do u wanna come to Pitt?
me : b/c you guys are so super-cool at...)

I can't burst out with this to anybody at school b/c I hate talking about myself esp. to my friends who are applying alongside with me.

but at the same time I am thrilled. - yayayayya!

okay enough of that - its out of my system now!! :laugh:

here is useful info if anyone cares:

- amcas transmitted (according to status page 9 am this morning 9/5) - but my initial info. must have been sent earlier

- email asking me to send secondary received on 9/4

- interview invite email sent 9/5 today also at 10:30 am

so far I have sent in nothing, non-PA resident,

I know lots of you guys here got interviews too - and way before I did - congratulations!!! good luck to all

Hello,

I have a specific question but didn't want to start a new thread on it. My Pitt status screen says they are still waiting for LORs, but lists the two of them. I think I remember that they will only display the 2 recs you want listed on the status page, so I think that's fine. I'm concerned that the status says they're still waiting for letter though... does anyone remember if they ever got a "file complete" sort of status on their page?

If I don't get replies I'll call but I'm hoping someone knows. :)

This is what my status page says:

University of Pittsburgh
Medical School
Office of Admissions
Status Screen

owen_osh,

Thank you for applying to the MD Program. A review of your application
indicates that we have received all the necessary materials.

Your confirmed appointment date is September 13, 2002

MD PROGRAM
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
(412) 648-9891

Information last updated on 10/03/2002

thanks for the reply. i guess there is some sort of problem and I should call them about it.