Pittsburgh vs. Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarcoRamius

Marco Ramius
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been offered admission to the University of Pittsburgh and Case. I never thought I would have to choose between two schools and am having a hard time deciding. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about what school they would choose and why. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

MarcoRamius said:
I have been offered admission to the University of Pittsburgh and Case. I never thought I would have to choose between two schools and am having a hard time deciding. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about what school they would choose and why. Thanks! :)
choose case....poor patients = great experience...

and im waiting on pitt, so it would help some !! (JK)

I am in the same boat..

Case vs Pitts

Let me first list what I know about both (could be wrong)
1. Case: the newest Dent Sim / Sealant program / research opportunity
GREAT campus / poor neighborhood / the poorest city in nation
reasonable living cost

2. Pitts: Great facility / research opportunity / in a city centre / Great city
poor patients too / living expenses lower compared to other big cities

They both have similar tuition, and new DentSim labs.
Both good schools.... cheaper to live than other big cities like NY etc...
what else...

I love living in a city centre so... I am kinda in favor of Pitts...
But, Which is better? I really can't decide...

Members don't see this ad :)
I know what you mean mw. This is a tough decision! Case has a great program and all but Cleveland did not impress me much. I'm married with a child and so location plays a factor in my decision. Also, when I interviewed at Pitt I really liked how the students were so willing to answer questions and seemed like most of them were willing to help each other out. It was hard at
Case because we only got a tour of the school from 2 students and I didn't get the same feeling of comradery b/w the students. Granted I only talked with them for an hour so its probably just me seeing things from my limited perspective.

I don't know what the tuition is at U Pitt, but Case is a little too pricy for me. I figured with cost of living I'd be close to 300,000 in debt by the time I escaped from Cleveland.

funny how so many of us got into the same schools.

i personally like pitts more, the school just very much positively impressed me with their facility, size of the campus, the students, the locker room ( :laugh: dont get me wrong, but they have big lockers for you to store stuff), overall i think they care more about their studends and school invests more in their education. and lastly, pittsburgh seems to be a nicer city except for the weather.

with case, it was a nice school too. almost everything else being the same (tuition, class size, dent sim, etc), i just didn't feel as welcomed, or as excited to be there...don't ask me why, cause i don't know.

the receptionist at my dentist's office suggested me not to go to case, cause her boyfriend went there and he didn't like it.

so maybe that's what negatively impressed me about case even before i went for an interview. but opinions are always subjective, so don't count on that too much.

check out these university rankings at:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/ranknatudoc_brief.php
and
http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500list.htm
whether you agree or not, these are backed up by stats.

yea, like my boy ddsjeff said, choose case, im waiting for pitt too, the less people go to pitt the better for me. plus case is a great school im interviewing there in jan. The programs they have there are pretty impressive. go to case, go to case, you know you want to.. all the call people do.. stay away from pitt. by the way, pitt has toxic waste dump next to the school (haha, i cant lie anymore). look what u people have made me do :eek:

princewalta said:
yea, like my boy ddsjeff said, choose case, im waiting for pitt too, the less people go to pitt the better for me. plus case is a great school im interviewing there in jan. The programs they have there are pretty impressive. go to case, go to case, you know you want to.. all the call people do.. stay away from pitt. by the way, pitt has toxic waste dump next to the school (haha, i cant lie anymore). look what u people have made me do :eek:

ok... Prince.... hey people let's ALL go to PITTS so prince WALTA can SUFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walta will love CASE and its toxic waste dump and radioactive classrooms..

mwsung, just be grateful you are in man...and especially more than one school.

i think mwsung was just joking.

ddsjeff77 and princewalta, wish you guys best of luck with everything. don't worry about it too much (i know it's hard not to), but since any of us can only pick one school, there will be space for sure.

princewalta, since you will be interviewing at case, then either we pick pitts or case, it will increase your chance regardless, right? so relax a little and give your best shot at the interview. from what i can recall from case, the interview wasnt that stressful at all.

also try to call the school and talk to the dean or whoever is in charge, if you show enough enthusiasm (spelling?), they might just grant you an offer, you never know...good luck!