Place to live in D.C.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, does anybody know of any good and cheap places to stay in washington, d.c.?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, does anybody know of any good and cheap places to stay in washington, d.c.?

No such thing as good and cheap in DC. You can find good, and you can find cheap, but you really can't find both. Your best best is to find a rommie and rent a house.

Look on Craigslist for a roomie.

I assume you are prob going to Howard. They are close to the metro, so your options are more open. Arlington, VA is a blast, and a lot of young people live there. Same for Capitol Hill or Eastern Market area. I would take a week, go to DC and explore the various neighborhoods close to metro stops - to include the walk to the metro stop. Find an area(s) which is a good fit and then scour for roomies.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply! Yes I will be attending Howard and I was thinking about staying by myself the first year and then finding someone to live with the next year and on.. Do you think that's a good idea??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! Yes I'm going to attend Howard. I was planning on living alone the first year and then rooming with someone after that.. Do you think that's a good idea??

Thanks for the reply! Yes I'm going to attend Howard. I was planning on living alone the first year and then rooming with someone after that.. Do you think that's a good idea??

Only you can answer the question. It will be a rent versus can I live with someone else question. I would budget a MINIMUM of 1200-1500/month for a place to live w/ utilities that's safe and close to a metro which makes you commute easy. And that is for a 1BR/studio. Luckily, DC is one of the more inexpensive large cities to eat out in.

You can live in bethesda or rockville, which are cheaper for a good apartment than living in the city, and you can just use the metro to get to howard.

Thanks for the Replies!!!!

Congrats on getting into Howard! I just visited a friend at Howard med school this past weekend and he lived about 2 blocks from Howard and I'd have to say it was definitely not in a safe area. I mean a dead body was found in his apartment complex! lol I would suggest a safer area even if it is more expensive because it will be worth it. I'm applying to HU this June and If i get in that's what I would do.:)

Look in Crystal City. They have bigger apartments than anywhere else for less cost. Granted the cost is still not cheap (1500/mo. avg) but you can split that w/ one person and still live comfortably. Also Crystal City is directly over a metro stop.

I have lived in Crystal City before, and it's a great place. You're 5 mins from downtown DC, 5 mins from downtown Arlington, and with much cheaper parking than in DC.

Here are some of the better places to look at:
1) Crystal Plaza - Big apts, beautiful common areas, business center, free wi-fi, amazing courtyard w/ olympic sized pool.
2) Crystal Towers - very similar to Crystal Plaza.
3) The Buchanan - also very similar

(these three are all a few blocks apart) - check them out; it was the absolute best deal I could find in the DC area when balancing convenience (the location is perfect), price, and amenities. Also, Crystal City is prob. one of the safest areas around in my opinion.

If you need more info, I know some of the people that work in these apartment bldgs. and can prob. swing a little bit of a deal for you (i.e. no application or initial common area fee or something...) All the people that work in those bldgs are very nice. I loved living there, and miss it!

living downtown will be very expensive if you plan on living by yourself. if you want to live alone, i suggest Arlington VA or Silver Spring MD. Downtown living is only affordable with room-mates in a shared house.

Congrats on getting into Howard! I just visited a friend at Howard med school this past weekend and he lived about 2 blocks from Howard and I'd have to say it was definitely not in a safe area. I mean a dead body was found in his apartment complex! lol I would suggest a safer area even if it is more expensive because it will be worth it. I'm applying to HU this June and If i get in that's what I would do.:)

Thanks!!! Wow a dead body, I'm not planning on living that close to the school bc when I went to the interview I could tell then that I did not want to live there...

Look in Crystal City. They have bigger apartments than anywhere else for less cost. Granted the cost is still not cheap (1500/mo. avg) but you can split that w/ one person and still live comfortably. Also Crystal City is directly over a metro stop.

I have lived in Crystal City before, and it's a great place. You're 5 mins from downtown DC, 5 mins from downtown Arlington, and with much cheaper parking than in DC.

Here are some of the better places to look at:
1) Crystal Plaza - Big apts, beautiful common areas, business center, free wi-fi, amazing courtyard w/ olympic sized pool.
2) Crystal Towers - very similar to Crystal Plaza.
3) The Buchanan - also very similar

(these three are all a few blocks apart) - check them out; it was the absolute best deal I could find in the DC area when balancing convenience (the location is perfect), price, and amenities. Also, Crystal City is prob. one of the safest areas around in my opinion.

If you need more info, I know some of the people that work in these apartment bldgs. and can prob. swing a little bit of a deal for you (i.e. no application or initial common area fee or something...) All the people that work in those bldgs are very nice. I loved living there, and miss it!

Thanks for the info, I looked up those apartments and they really look nice! Do these apartments come furnished??

living downtown will be very expensive if you plan on living by yourself. if you want to live alone, i suggest Arlington VA or Silver Spring MD. Downtown living is only affordable with room-mates in a shared house.

Yea I think I want to live alone for the first year and then find someone to live with the other 3 years so I'm going to look for places outside of downtown..