Place to store letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etp123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of Interfolio as a place to gather and store letters of recommendation before sending them out to schools but was wondering if anyone knew of any other alternatives?

I won't be applying to medical school for a few years at least, but I'm asking for letters of recommendation from my undergrad professors now before it's too late and they forget me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought all LOR's have to be from one year or less. Isn't that the case?

I thought all LOR's have to be from one year or less. Isn't that the case?

True, but depending on how long it will be between taking a particular class and applying it still may be advantageous to get a letter. I know when I applied my former physics professor dropped off the face of the earth. So no letter from him, and there were a few schools who were specific about what type of professors they wanted letters from.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no formal policy at the vast majority of schools specifying a year or less. There is the informal/expected "policy" that you are competing against an applicant pool that will have primarily new letters. A year or two is fine. As the older it gets, the more adcoms will less "impressed" by it. Another option instead of stockpiling letters now is to make a strong effort with periodic emails to your potential LOR writers keeping them up to date on your progress and what you have achieved.

That actually sounds like a great option. I'll see if I can try that with my professors instead!

Most Universities have file services. My undergrad file service keeps letters up to five years after graduation. Plus if you need a committee letter, you'll have to go through the file service anyways.

Wait is this okay? I've heard that letters of recommendation shouldn't be older than approximately a year.

EDIT: Upon further reading question has been answered.

I have also been looking for an alternative to Interfolio and just found Referrio. It is much more affordable and the they have a program that helps your recommender to make the recommendation look more professional.

I have also been looking for an alternative to Interfolio and just found Referrio. It is much more affordable and the they have a program that helps your recommender to make the recommendation look more professional.

Interfolio just announced their Dossier service is now free, so affordability shouldn't be a problem anymore.