Places to propose?

Where would be the best place to propose?

• Paris

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • New York

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been giving some thought to proposing to my girlfriend (who had been a friend of mine for almost two years before we started dating) at some point late next year. One of the options I'm tossing around is to propose while we are in Paris for a conference I have to attend. Another option is to propose in New York around Christmas next year. Any other suggestions? Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

DropkickMurphy said:
I've been giving some thought to proposing to my girlfriend (who had been a friend of mine for almost two years before we started dating) at some point late next year. One of the options I'm tossing around is to propose while we are in Paris for a conference I have to attend. Another option is to propose in New York around Christmas next year. Any other suggestions? Opinions?

Since you're going to be in the "most romantic city in the world," do it there. Do it 110% ... roses ... wine ... candles if you can ... maybe even the Eiffel tower. She'll remember something like that FOREVER and it'll be an amazing story to share with your children if you decide to have them. :)

Actually I was thinking about doing it on the Pont des Arts bridge between the Louvre and the Institut de France (the building in the first picture below):
pontdesarts2.jpg

The Louvre from the bridge:
pontdesarts.jpg

The view from the bridge:
viewfromthePontdesArtes.jpg

The bridge itself:
pontdesarts3.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it now. Why wait? (Consider who the advice is coming from...I only knew my husband for a short time before he proposed...BUT we've been married 10 years!)

Good luck whatever you decide. I imagine she won't be too concerned that you made a wrong venue choice. If you must wait I'd vote Paris.

Whatever you do, forget New York. There is nothing romantic about New York. If you want to do it in the US, I suggest:

-Las Vegas (at night during a helicopter ride over vegas).

-The Grand Canyon

-Orlando FL Disney or Universal Studios

I also vote for Paris as the #1 place to propose.
My persoal favorate in Venice, Italy.

Good Luck...You will make a great husband.

Good Luck...You will make a great husband.

Thank you for saying that. I hope I will.

Do it now. Why wait?

We agreed when we started dating that we would take this slow and not rush into anything. That is why the delay.... :)

DropkickMurphy said:

Why the wait? Aren't you afraid of losing her? My guy wanted me for keeps after 6 months and proposed to me about a month ago. We are getting married sometime next year. He text messaged me one morning and said, "Good morning, sweetie. Get dressed up because I am taking you on a surprise day trip."

We went to Niagara Falls and he proposed on "The Maid of the Mist" boat ride. :love: We were wearing these raincoats and looked so funny. When the boat went out near the base of the falls, he got down on one knee and recited a poem by P.B Shelley called "Love's Philosophy."

"The fountains mingle with the river
And the rivers with the ocean
The winds of heaven mix for ever
With a sweet emotion
Nothing in the world is single
All things by a law divine
In one another's being mingle
Why not I with thine?"
:love:

Everyone cheered us on as we kissed beneath the falls. We got wet and my mascara was running because of my tears of joy but I didn't care. :laugh: :D

http://www.nationmaster.com/wikimir.../8/82/Picture_0043.JPG/300px-Picture_0043.JPG

http://www.niagarafallslive.com/photos_of_niagara_falls.htm

The wait is because when we started dating we agreed to not rush into anything....so I'm holding up my end of the bargain. :love: I just figured that the Paris trip was good timing... ;)

DropkickMurphy said:
The wait is because when we started dating we agreed to not rush into anything....so I'm holding up my end of the bargain. :love: I just figured that the Paris trip was good timing... ;)

Wow, a patient man!

How do you know you'll still want her next year ?

How are you going to suggest a trip to Paris without it sounding suspicious- does she always accompany you when you attend conferences?

Yes, I can be quite patient.

I have been friends with her for quite a while now, and dating her for a decent amount of time, so I am sure I will still feel the same about her next year.

The ruse that is being used to gain her company on the trip is to claim that since this is the first presentation of my own research that I have ever done, I need the moral support of having her there. Not to mention that she's never been out of the US so I played up the "This is your chance to do something about that!" angle. ;)

DropkickMurphy said:
Yes, I can be quite patient.

I have been friends with her for quite a while now, and dating her for a decent amount of time, so I am sure I will still feel the same about her next year.

The ruse that is being used to gain her company on the trip is to claim that since this is the first presentation of my own research that I have ever done, I need the moral support of having her there. Not to mention that she's never been out of the US so I played up the "This is your chance to do something about that!" angle. ;)

How sweet. Have you introduced her to the family yet? My guy has. They absolutely adore me! :)

Residency will be tough for us though. He plans on applying for pediatrics. But I`ll be the working partner so I`ll support the two of us during residency. Are you a med student or resident ?

DrCandyBarr said:
How sweet. Have you introduced her to the family yet? My guy has. They absolutely adore me! :)

Residency will be tough for us though. He plans on applying for pediatrics. But I`ll be the working partner so I`ll support the two of us during residency. Are you a med student or resident ?

No, she hasn't met my family yet, but then again I am not close with my family and really don't care what they think about her (or me for that matter). But it's good that your fiance's family likes you!

I'm a premed right now, with a couple of years left before I apply. She's a college student as well, working towards becoming an art teacher.

DrCandyBarr said:
Wow, a patient man!

How do you know you'll still want her next year ?
And how would asking her NOW guarantee that he would still want her next year? Even a marriage doesn't guarantee that.

To the OP, it seems like you've put a lot of thought into the Paris idea, so I think that's what you really want, which is what you should do. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
DropkickMurphy said:
No, she hasn't met my family yet, but then again I am not close with my family and really don't care what they think about her (or me for that matter). But it's good that your fiance's family likes you!

I'm a premed right now, with a couple of years left before I apply. She's a college student as well, working towards becoming an art teacher.

I applaud your nonchalantness in regards to your family's acceptance of your girlfriend. :thumbup: Not all men are that courageous. You must really love her. :)

You're only a premed and you want to get married? Don't you think you should wait till med school is over ? I hope your girlfriend realizes that you'll be pretty busy over the next 7 years. Hopefully, she'll be a supportive spouse.

I am very supportive of my future husband as I am also a health professional . I'll be very understanding of his busy schedule when he does his pediatrics residency. I won't mind being the bread winner for a few years. :D

It's not so much that I love her, it's that I despise most of my family. :smuggrin: I'm kidding of course.....I love her very, very much.

Yes, I do want to get married. I'm 25 now, so I'm older than your typical premed, and if I wait until I'm done with medical school (assuming I get in the first time around) I'll be 32 or so. She understands I'm going to be very busy and she agreed that it's something she's willing to stand by me through. Then again, I'm an RT so she's used to my working screwy hours and because we live pretty far apart at this point in time (I'm in central Indiana until next May, she goes to school in Michigan) we're used to being apart and making due. She also realizes that she will be the primary support for us while I'm in school. I think I've found me a keeper for all these reasons and a lot more.

Do it at the Louvre. Of course, I'm a sucker for that place, so I may be a little biased.

Disregard any further.....see the "What do you think" thread or PM me for an explanation.

DropkickMurphy said:
Disregard any further.....see the "What do you think" thread or PM me for an explanation.

OMG, I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't generally get too involved in this topic area, but I was really rooting for you two. You seemed to have a lot going. Take care and lots of hugs,
CC

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.....Don't worry, I'm laughing too.....it's her loss. :smuggrin:

EDIT: God, that sounds really egotistical don't it?

DropkickMurphy said:
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.....Don't worry, I'm laughing too.....it's her loss. :smuggrin:

EDIT: God, that sounds really egotistical don't it?

Wow! You went from one extreme to another, Dr Murphy ! I hope you take the time to really get to know the next girl you pop the question to! That`s why I`m glad I am keeping my engagement "top secret" for the next year in case my fiancé gets cold feet ! But so far, it looks like his feet are far from cold :laugh: I know how to warm them up ;) :D

You sound like a hopeless romantic. I hope you find a girl who is worthy of such attention!

I know how to warm them up

If you know of any other girls with similar skills, please send them my way. ;)

DropkickMurphy said:
If you know of any other girls with similar skills, please send them my way. ;)

Oh no, Dr Murphy, there are no other girls. I'm BEARY special. :D It's your loss ;) :laugh: My fiancé is a lucky man. :luck:

Paris - absolutely, without a doubt. There is no shortage of incredible places for you to drop to your knee and whip out that ring. You could just walk down the street and anywhere you stop is going to be stunning and memorable. ;)

Ahh... Paris, I miss it.

DropkickMurphy said:
On the front yard of her ex !!! :D

I can't believe you're even considering NYC when Paris is an option. And as to the specific location, there's no wrong place to propose in Paris. The Eiffel is nice, but you might get nervous and drop the ring.

added bonus: all her girlfriends will be jealous for the rest of their lives. I'm jealous as we speak.

Oh my god. I can't believe you broke up. I'm so sorry. And I kind of hate her right now...SHE COULD HAVE GOTTEN ENGAGED IN PARIS, DAMMIT!

DrCandyBarr said:
Why the wait? Aren't you afraid of losing her?

Silly way to try and keep people around...

My SO and I have been together for 7 years, and there are no rings on these fingers. I don't need a wedding to keep him around me.

To DropKick: I'm sorry. But it's better you know now than later, right? Still doesn't make it hurt any less. :( Message me if you want to talk :)