plasmids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1800RAW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
are plasmids inherited? im sure some are passed from cell to cell via binary fission due to whatever side they happen to be as the cell divides, but is there any set mechanism, other than conjugation and transformation, that ensures daughter cells receive plasmids the same way the receive the bacterial chromo?

Members don't see this ad.

are plasmids inherited? im sure some are passed from cell to cell via binary fission due to whatever side they happen to be as the cell divides, but is there any set mechanism, other than conjugation and transformation, that ensures daughter cells receive plasmids the same way the receive the bacterial chromo?

Yes, they can be inherited. Plasmids are able to replicate autonomously and can be passed on during cell division.

it is a good question i cant find a definitive answer. I do know however that they replicate independently of the chromosome. They can also integrated into the bacterial genome and, in that way, passed on to future generations via fission.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure plasmids are only transferred horizontally through transformation and conjugation. Good question though.

if you dont know the answer dont add to the confusion.

pibond was right

if you dont know the answer dont add to the confusion.

pibond was right

pibond just repeated what 1800RAW said in his question. "some are passed from cell to cell via binary fission" I assume 1800RAW was asking if the bacteria itself has a way of ensuring its posterity receive a plasmid it had, not if the plasmid can replicate on its own and be passed on when the bacteria divides. Does this guarantee every time a bacteria divides, both cells will end up with the same plasmids?

Now if you quoted rmm30 as being right, then that would have provided a good answer. "They can also integrated into the bacterial genome and, in that way, passed on to future generations via fission." I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, and I'd like to see a reference. I know that a plasmid can integrate bacterial DNA into itself.

i dont mean to bag on you, but it doesnt seem like you know what autonomous replication is. i think if you have a clear understanding of what it does and how it works, you will see that pibond answered succinctly and accurately!

as for the mechanism, mechanisms of plasmid replication vary, from rolling circle to strand displacement to something called the "theta mechanism". feel free to peruse pubmed if you'd like to know more about each of these mechanisms

in terms of what rmm30 said i would agree. plasmids can sometimes integrate into the genome by recombination. however, once integrated they are no longer plasmids [read: plasmid = extrachromosomal dna] so although accurate, i dont think this is what the OP was asking for

i dont mean to bag on you, but it doesnt seem like you know what autonomous replication is. i think if you have a clear understanding of what it does and how it works, you will see that pibond answered succinctly and accurately!

as for the mechanism, mechanisms of plasmid replication vary, from rolling circle to strand displacement to something called the "theta mechanism". feel free to peruse pubmed if you'd like to know more about each of these mechanisms

in terms of what rmm30 said i would agree. plasmids can sometimes integrate into the genome by recombination. however, once integrated they are no longer plasmids [read: plasmid = extrachromosomal dna] so although accurate, i dont think this is what the OP was asking for

You're not bagging on me, I just don't agree with a match of the answer to the OP's question. If you resorted to calling me an idiot or something nonconstructive I might be bothered. I'm here to learn as much as anyone else, so feel free to enlighten me better on this issue.

I know exactly what autonomous replication is, and it's great that you understand the mechanisms of plasmid replication. I'm assuming the OP was already aware of plasmids being able to replicate, and was not asking about that being a possible mechanism. The reason I say this, is because while plasmid replication greatly increases the chance of inheritance, it doesn't necessarily ensure 100% of the time the plasmid will be inherited, which is what I think the OP is asking for, since his analogy to bacterial DNA is 100% ensured for the most part.

Based on your clarification of what rmm30 said, I would agree with that point.

hopefully this will end the conversation. here are the two questions i guess you require answers for:

are plasmids vertically transferred? yes.

how? like chromosomal dna, there are various partitioning systems that ensure the accuracy and precise distribution of plasmids during cell division. localization in each subsequent daughter cell is directed by plasmid encoded determinants and host factors (one partitioning system involves the Par proteins. its interesting, unbelievably similar to what happens in meiosis. pubmed here, is your friend if you'd like to know more).

is there an exception? why yes there is! as with pretty much any other process known to man, there are instances where one daughter cell gets both plasmids and one daughter cell gets none. the second cell is then said to be "cured". i have no idea how or why this happens.

the take home message here is that this is somewhat advanced microbiology, and will not be required on the dental admission test. knowing the answer to the first question [vertical transfer = yes] is sufficient for the scope of this test.

hopefully this will end the conversation. here are the two questions i guess you require answers for:

are plasmids vertically transferred? yes.

how? like chromosomal dna, there are various partitioning systems that ensure the accuracy and precise distribution of plasmids during cell division. localization in each subsequent daughter cell is directed by plasmid encoded determinants and host factors (one partitioning system involves the Par proteins. its interesting, unbelievably similar to what happens in meiosis. pubmed here, is your friend if you'd like to know more).

is there an exception? why yes there is! as with pretty much any other process known to man, there are instances where one daughter cell gets both plasmids and one daughter cell gets none. the second cell is then said to be "cured". i have no idea how or why this happens.

the take home message here is that this is somewhat advanced microbiology, and will not be required on the dental admission test. knowing the answer to the first question [vertical transfer = yes] is sufficient for the scope of this test.

Ahh, I had no idea there were these partitioning systems, that's very cool. We definitely did not learn about that stuff in micro (at least in my class). Thank you for the clarification, it helped tremendously.