Plastic Surgeon salary after obamacare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1AO KTG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how will Obamacare effect a Plastic Surgeon in private practice?(All cosmetic no sports accidents, car crashes etc).

Members don't see this ad.

So how will Obamacare effect a Plastic Surgeon in private practice?(All cosmetic no sports accidents, car crashes etc).
sports car avatar + asking about plastics + asking about $$ + "obamacare" + dumb ass question = how old are you and have you learned to tie your shoes yet

Members don't see this ad :)
BAWu8.jpg

sports car avatar + asking about plastics + asking about $$ + "obamacare" + dumb ass question = how old are you and have you learned to tie your shoes yet

yeah so what, if you don't like it hit the back button

Tired of these salary questions, especially in the pre-medical forum. How would we know this? Worry about how much money you'll make as a plastic surgeon after you've been accepted to medical school, successfully completed it, got a good Step 1 score, and got matched to a plastic surgery residency. Then you can complain.

OP wants to go into medicine because he enjoys science and likes helping people.
Yeah thats right. I dont think too many people could go through 14-16 years of scientific training for the purpose of helping people if that wasn't exactly their intention in the first place. I also like money... So yeah op wants to go into medicine for the science, helping people, and a good living. I think it;s so stupid when people overreact over my avatar. So don't analyze my intentions just answer the question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah thats right. I dont think too many people could go through 14-16 years of scientific training for the purpose of helping people if that wasn't exactly their intention in the first place. I also like money... So yeah op wants to go into medicine for the science, helping people, and a good living. I think it;s so stupid when people overreact over my avatar. So don't analyze my intentions just answer the question.
it's a dumb question that takes two neurons to answer. so i'm guessing that leaves you with one? maybe?

it's a dumb question that takes two neurons to answer. so i'm guessing that leaves you with one? maybe?

Look RogueUnicorn what ever it's not a dumb question. There have been plastic surgery complaints by democrats in this process. If you knew about the taxes they are trying to impose on cosmetics you wouldn't view my questtion as stupid. Also I mean seriously, what have I done to you do be called a dumb ass with one neuron?,jesus So HOW OLD ARE YOU

Don't worry. I don't think the answer to your question will concern you in anyway in the future.

If you knew about the taxes they are trying to impose on cosmetics you wouldn't view my questtion as stupid.

The only people who are still talking about the health reform law are the conservatives trying to repeal it. There is no plastic surgery tax. New Jersey is the only state with a cosmetic surgery tax, and that's facing lots of professional opposition, administrative challenges, and not making as much money as expected.

worry about plastic surgery salaries after you get a step 1 score that's in the neighborhood of being competitive to enter the field.

Tired of these salary questions, especially in the pre-medical forum. How would we know this? Worry about how much money you'll make as a plastic surgeon after you've been accepted to medical school, successfully completed it, got a good Step 1 score, and got matched to a plastic surgery residency. Then you can complain.

You proved your own point! Not to be a jerk, but there's no true "plastic surgery" residency. There's an integrated residency and a combined residency, but you match into gen surg on that one. Or you can do the gen surg + plastics fellowship route.

OP I'd be willing to bet the cost of my medical education that you won't become a plastic surgeon. It's ultra, ultra competitive.

That being said if you were doing strictly cosmetic work that most likely isn't covered by insurance anyway, I don't see why your salary would take a big hit, if at all.

You proved your own point! Not to be a jerk, but there's no true "plastic surgery" residency. There's an integrated residency and a combined residency, but you match into gen surg on that one. Or you can do the gen surg + plastics fellowship route.

OP I'd be willing to bet the cost of my medical education that you won't become a plastic surgeon. It's ultra, ultra competitive.

That being said if you were doing strictly cosmetic work that most likely isn't covered by insurance anyway, I don't see why your salary would take a big hit, if at all.
Too late. I'm sure 99.9% of the people on here know there is no plastic residency. Just sayin

Last edited:
Which version do you want, OP?

Answer 1: No one knows. (Insert statement about how the health care plan you're referencing may not be in action when you go into medicine, etc...)

Answer 2: You'll still make $900k, keep gunning for plastix!

Answer 3: Their salary will get slammed and you'll be lucky to keep up with the Doc-in-a-box FM down the block. Stay away from plastic surgery!

And I'd bet you're grossly overestimating your peers. And new Drake sucks, by the way.
Hey!!! I bought his cd a week ago and...you're right.:(
Just noticed you have a JayZ avatar... I have no comeback.:(

Why are people attacking the OP? He simply asked a question.

Oh, my bad guys. Right, if you go into medicine it should be for the love of helping people only (family not included). You will spend $200k + and 11+ years of your life just to help other people, but it'll still be ok if you cant make a nice living from it. You know what? I had a guy in one of my undergrad classes tell me he would still do the medicine if he only made 50k/year. You guys would love him.

Hey!!! I bought his cd a week ago and...you're right.:(
Just noticed you have a JayZ avatar... I have no comeback.:(

I had his mixtapes and used to be a HUGE fan...saw him live, etc. He still shows flashes of brilliance, but everything seems diluted given all the songs he is featuring on, etc. I can't really hate, as he is arguably the hottest rapper out right now. I guess I just expected more out of him. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for his sophomore effort.

Jay-Z will always be the GOAT.

Are you a fan of hip-hop, in general? Most people on SDN don't seem to listen to hip-hop/rap.

It's not a fellowship, it's a residency. Yes, you can do a plastics residency after a gen surg residency. Yes, you match into it.http://www.sfmatch.org/residency/plastic_surgery/getting_started/requirements.htm

Last edited:
OP - There is no such thing as "Obamacare." However, the tea party is real.

Why are people attacking the OP? He simply asked a question.

Oh, my bad guys. Right, if you go into medicine it should be for the love of helping people only (family not included). You will spend $200k + and 11+ years of your life just to help other people, but it'll still be ok if you cant make a nice living from it. You know what? I had a guy in one of my undergrad classes tell me he would still do the medicine if he only made 50k/year. You guys would love him.
The fact that he's concerned with the money isn't the point so much as the fact that the question is unanswerable since none of us can travel through time.

I can't take anyone who uses the term "Obamacare" seriously. Why can't people just call it the healthcare bill? Obama did't even write the bill, Congress did.

Last edited:
I had his mixtapes and used to be a HUGE fan...saw him live, etc. He still shows flashes of brilliance, but everything seems diluted given all the songs he is featuring on, etc. I can't really hate, as he is arguably the hottest rapper out right now. I guess I just expected more out of him. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for his sophomore effort.

Jay-Z will always be the GOAT.

Are you a fan of hip-hop, in general? Most people on SDN don't seem to listen to hip-hop/rap.
Actually I like country.:rolleyes: (Im not lame, I just like it ok) I listen to a few, chamillionaire, drake, wayne but not too many (they all sound the same) We will probably get flamed for having a convo in a thread lol

If you mean, how does the existing legislation affect healthcare salaries, it doesn't. All the legislation does is expand medicaid and force people to buy insurance. There are no changes in licensing, reimbursement, healthcare administration, insurance regulation, or anything else. Cash markets are unaffected, and hospitals actually take in slightly more money because ER patients that were previously write offs will now be paying customers through Medicaid.

If you mean, how will the fallout of the legislation affect healthcare salaries, no one has the slightest idea. Will budgetary pushback force a government takeover of healthcare to reduce the cost? Will someone push more modest, 'Swiss' reforms like making all insurance non-profit? Will the health care bill just get killed by congress to solve our debt? No one has the slightest clue. We don't even know if our schools and hospitals will be open on Augest 3rd, let alone how the next 20 years of Congressional delegates are going to react to this very complicated piece of legislation.

Last edited:
Actually I like country.:rolleyes: (Im not lame, I just like it ok) I listen to a few, chamillionaire, drake, wayne but not too many (they all sound the same) We will probably get flamed for having a convo in a thread lol

That's cool...who cares these people are mostly losers anyway. I'm not big into country but I do love bluegrass/newgrass. I'm a huge fan of Nickel Creek, The Wailin' Jennys, etc.

I used to listen to more hiphop/rap than I do now, but the 2000s were not a good time for the genre...

Nevertheless, there's some hope. How about that Macklemore dude?

TLDR:
-Troll
-Flame
-Duck
-Flame
-Rap battle
-Snowballing politics in healthcare debate

This thread is useless.

:slap:

I can't take anyone who uses the term "Obamacare" seriously. Why can't people just call it the healthcare bill? Obama did't even write the bill, Congress did.

Because without Obama that abortion of a bill never gets passed. He used his celebrity status as "the first black president" to swoon mindless sheep in congress. The fact that the majority of Americans opposed the bill despite most acknowledging that we need some sort of reform speaks volumes.

Because without Obama that abortion of a bill never gets passed. He used his celebrity status as "the first black president" to swoon mindless sheep in congress. The fact that the majority of Americans opposed the bill despite most acknowledging that we need some sort of reform speaks volumes.

k

I forgot that Obama himself had 60+ votes in the Senate and 200+ in House. My bad.

Also, why is "the first black president" in quotes? I'm pretty sure he's the first black president?