Plastic Surgery Residency Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenflower

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I was a medical student I wondered if a plastics resident would ever be called to the ER and that the hours are probably cush. Here I am after an ENT residency, now a new Plastic Surgery resident. Both are similar in that being a surgical subspecialty service there are fewer residents covering floors,clinic,consults,OR,etc; also, since a lot of surgical subspecialty service take "home call" like I did in both ENT and Plastics, you stay all day post-call. So when you are on hand&face call and don't sleep, be prepared for the occasional post-call free flap.

My point is, I think on paper the gen surg guys work more hours but I find that the "spread thin" factor is more in Plastics since fewer residents cover more bases and there is no night shift on Plastics. Overall, I think that we are much happier residents than gen surg.

But hey, this is the opinion of just one...

Greenflower,

I can speak to both issues.

i just finished training at a large, busy plastics program. There were times I was working balls-to-the-wall and clearly in violation (mostly because I wanted to learn, sometimes because we were shorthanded) but really, for most of my senior years of training was in compliance with the 80 hour workweek. I am in a hand fellowship now and the hours are quite a lot better.

As far as kids go, the best advice I can give is what a former female resident at our program told us:

There is no good time to have kids.

My wife and I have two children and we are both subspecialty surgeons. We had the first in the lab and my wife had our second one while training (she's a chief resident now). I don't know how she did it.

Childcare coverage is complex and pretty expensive, and there are many ways to do it. Personally, we have an au pair, two part time private nannies, part time preschool, and lots of family and friends who help out. We have not had one incident in 3 years where we had to compromise our clinical duties. This includes lots of combined call schedules, free flaps, and patient emergencies.

Being a surgery resident isn't easy. Being married isn't easy either, and having children is the hardest of all. It is also the most rewarding aspect of out lives, and I can safely speak for my wife on this one.

I know many physician couples who have kids in residency or thereafter. They cross all groups - some are two surgeon households, etc.

Takehome: It's certainly possible, and don't let it deter your from what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greenflower,

Have the kid! Life is infinitely more important than "plastic surgery" despite what the little world of medical school may tell you. In my experience, plastics is much better than the general surgery part of residency. Life will only get busier when you get into practice-- at least for the few years as you try to get established. Once you have the kid, your perspective on life and your priorities will change...TRUST ME.

Anastimo

I think programs are highly variable in this regard. I never work more than low 70s as a senior, and usually am in the 50-60s, because our solitary call pool is shared by 6. On the interview trail look for programs where the residents have kids, and just ask what their hours are like.
I absolutely agree with those above. If you wait until you have time or can afford to have kids, you'll never have them.

Hi, I'm a medical student interested in plastics. I am wondering about the hours during residency - particularly PGY4-6. If my spouse (also with a busy career) and I were to have a child during those years would that be disastrous? I've heard horror stories about 120 hour/week daycare for infants with parents in general surgery, but I was wondering how plastics compared.

Does anyone here have experience with a plastics resident starting a family during PGY 4-6 (in an integrated program)? Is there any "good" time, or is the answer just to have kids post-residency?

anytime is probably bad so just do it when you feel ready

Reactions: 1 user