Plastic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shades McCool

Kal-el
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just how tough is it to land a plastic surgery residency at a great program?

Members don't see this ad.

i think doing any specialty at a "great" program is difficult.

in terms of numbers? i dont think it's a easy one to nail. dont you have to go gen. surgery route on this one?
so i'd say whatever it takes to get in a "great" surgery program, then after that who knows.

nuclearrabbit

northwestern -2006

i've heard through a surgery listserve that only 30% of applicants to plastic surgery even get matched into a plastic surgery program. i think it's extremely difficult to get into a reputable one. if you go through the general surgery route, you have to be the top of the residency class to be able to get into plastic surgery.

the whole process seems to be very daunting...but in the end, plastic surgeons on average work the least amount of hours (~60hs/wk) and make the most amount of money per hour.

although i personally am not interested in it for the money, it does give you a lot of freedom.

however, i have doubts about pursuing this field because i've heard that plastic surgeons have a hard time finding a job after residency. is it worth going through all the hardwork when you're not even guaranteed offers afterwards? any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll move this to the Plastic Surgery Forum. Be aware that there are two routes to PRS:

1) the traditional, Independent route completed after 3+ years of general surgery; competitive but not as much as

2) the newer, Integrated model where students apply from medical school without prerequisite GME. Highly competitive (the 30% figure comes from these programs I believe).

"Competitive" is very general... does anyone have anymore specific as to the specs regarding a plastic surgery residency? (traditional or newer version?)