Plateauing: advice needed

futdoc251989

7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2013
  1. Pre-Medical
    Greetings. My exam is in less than 2 weeks (July 10th) and I think my progress is plateauing (NBME 17 score of 207 a week ago and NBME 19 score of 205 this week). Any suggestions on how I should tackle the final stretch before the exam would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on doing a lot more anki cards since I learn best through repetition. Also, how many more practice tests should I take and which ones should I take?

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
    5+ Year Member
    2+ Year Member
    Oct 18, 2016
    1. Medical Student
      19 historically is the worst predictor, as far as I know. 18 is supposed to be a good form to take (notice how it isn’t free?)

I forget where I saw the study, but a medical school collected data on which study methods increased step scores the most efficiently. The best results were seen in students that did a lot of practice questions. I think the data was every 10 practice questions you do increases your score by 1 point, and every 1000 Anki cards increases your score by 1 point.

I could have the exact numbers wrong, but the take home point was questions > Anki

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.