Step I Plateauing: advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futdoc251989

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings. My exam is in less than 2 weeks (July 10th) and I think my progress is plateauing (NBME 17 score of 207 a week ago and NBME 19 score of 205 this week). Any suggestions on how I should tackle the final stretch before the exam would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on doing a lot more anki cards since I learn best through repetition. Also, how many more practice tests should I take and which ones should I take?
 
17 and 19 have very brutal curves so I would take those scores with a grain of salt. Otherwise spend the last 2 weeks focusing on your weak topics, and use UWSA2 as a much better guide for your score
 
19 historically is the worst predictor, as far as I know. 18 is supposed to be a good form to take (notice how it isn’t free?)

I forget where I saw the study, but a medical school collected data on which study methods increased step scores the most efficiently. The best results were seen in students that did a lot of practice questions. I think the data was every 10 practice questions you do increases your score by 1 point, and every 1000 Anki cards increases your score by 1 point.

I could have the exact numbers wrong, but the take home point was questions > Anki