Play nice; deaf, mute, and blind...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I ABSOLUTELY disagree with this. 95% of the time, the physician will ignore the inappropriate behavior and allow the nurses to walk all over them. They will not confront them on it because it simply isn't worth the time, the effort, or the paperwork. I've seen only one instance where the physician (a resident) has stood up for himself to a nurse who had been completely inappropriate. The department stood behind him and the nurse was no longer allowed to care for patients seen by residents because she was creating a hostile working environment. This is after literally 10 years of inappropriate behavior by this nurse - a doc finally said something to administration.

To each their own, I would have never snapped back at the nurse like the OP did...thats just escalating the issue. When I go to work I am not in some pissing contest with the midlevels, I want to do my job, treat my patients, and go home.

Anytime this has came up with me I appease the person if possible and move on.

That being said I see numerous people with giant egos in medicine and as an observation, when two of those types come together you have problems...

If someone is truly being so inappropriate write an email to their boss, never never never fight it with that person directly (which happens far too often). That makes you both look unprofessional and like idiots.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure nurses and scribes are even on the same totem pole. We're contracted employees, so we're not really a part of the hospital hierarchy in the traditional sense.

I didn't snap back initially. I can't remember if I left this pertinent detail out... but I walked away after she started in on me.

Then she followed me and continued to berate me.

I did not fight it out with her. I never lost my composure (according to my attending, who applauded how I handled that). I may have spoken more forcefully, but I did not raise my voice whatsoever.

She may have been having a bad day and decided to take it out on me. Nevertheless, it was a bad day for everyone, I didn't need that kind of abuse.

Also, Sisterdisco can attest to this nurse being a little eccentric and generally disliking the fact that we get to spend the day with the physicians, watching and learning while they make medical decisions. She has pissed off attendings in our department before, and she's bound to do it again.

To each their own, I would have never snapped back at the nurse like the OP did...thats just escalating the issue. When I go to work I am not in some pissing contest with the midlevels, I want to do my job, treat my patients, and go home.

Anytime this has came up with me I appease the person if possible and move on.

That being said I see numerous people with giant egos in medicine and as an observation, when two of those types come together you have problems...

If someone is truly being so inappropriate write an email to their boss, never never never fight it with that person directly (which happens far too often). That makes you both look unprofessional and like idiots.

I didn't snap back initially. I can't remember if I left this pertinent detail out... but I walked away after she started in on me.

Then she followed me and continued to berate me.

I did not fight it out with her. I never lost my composure (according to my attending, who applauded how I handled that). I may have spoken more forcefully, but I did not raise my voice whatsoever.

She may have been having a bad day and decided to take it out on me. Nevertheless, it was a bad day for everyone, I didn't need that kind of abuse.

Also, Sisterdisco can attest to this nurse being a little eccentric and generally disliking the fact that we get to spend the day with the physicians, watching and learning while they make medical decisions. She has pissed off attendings in our department before, and she's bound to do it again.

Ahh I just said that bc you said in your original post that you got defense after she called you out.

Stop hating on the nurses or I'll arrange an ER-to-ER transfer the biggest "cupcake" in my ER at this moment in time. Medicare/Medicaid would approve U of M, Oakwood, Henry Ford, St. Joes...you name it. I'll find ya and make sure that the patient has scabies, MRSA, and smells like a barn yard! :p

You must not work at U of M because those nurses are required to have bachelor's degrees as does newly-hired nurses at Toledo Hospital now requires.

ha something else pertinent is probably that other nurses and attendings are also siding with CB on this one...

Just overhead several convos ;)

Stop hating on the nurses or I'll arrange an ER-to-ER transfer the biggest "cupcake" in my ER at this moment in time. Medicare/Medicaid would approve U of M, Oakwood, Henry Ford, St. Joes...you name it. I'll find ya and make sure that the patient has scabies, MRSA, and smells like a barn yard! :p
haha our hospital would probably have to transfer that out if we received it

ha something else pertinent is probably that other nurses and attendings are also siding with CB on this one...

I can believe it. Some nurses are crazy, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would imagine it would be very hard for her to get into trouble since there's the whole issue with the nurse unions. ( ' - ___ - ' )

Hahaha, you know I wuv you!

You must not work at U of M because those nurses are required to have bachelor's degrees as does newly-hired nurses at Toledo Hospital now requires.

Definitely don't work at U of M... I don't fulfill their pretentiousness requirement :smuggrin: JKKKKK. Yeah, it doesn't matter where I work. There are going to be malignant/toxic people at any facility you work at.

I enjoyed the read, Blu. :thumbup:

Anytime Fraz!

I wish you could have been there when it actually happened... I was sort of shocked. I felt naked and exposed and thought I was gonna cry. Then I realized how FUNNY the entire thing was. I was pretty irritated for a bit though...

I can believe it. Some nurses are crazy, lol.

Some nurses, some techs, some doctors, some PAs, some NPs, some respiratory therapists, some radiology techs, some custodial staff... are all craaaay. It's a fact of life.

CB, next time you call the ED make them say "CodeBlu on 3036"

Chances are I'll get side bumped by a real physician phone call and they'll put me on 3037. I don't plan on calling the department any time soon. I've been living the dream here for the time being.

Chances are I'll get side bumped by a real physician phone call and they'll put me on 3037. I don't plan on calling the department any time soon. I've been living the dream here for the time being.
Haha or by a real code blue.

Haha or by a real code blue.

Will the real code blue, please stop flat lining... please stop flat lining...

FLATLINER.gif

And almost every working professional would argue the exact opposite - that you should always discuss issues of conflict with that person directly before escalating it to the next level. Doing otherwise is the unprofessional approach, but that's what is usually done nonetheless.

And almost every working professional would argue the exact opposite - that you should always discuss issues of conflict with that person directly before escalating it to the next level. Doing otherwise is the unprofessional approach, but that's what is usually done nonetheless.

I know for a fact that this specific nurse has "written up" many of her colleagues for stupid things... just cuz she can.

Thing is... I've seen her nursing care. She is a very competent nurse, she does go above and beyond. But she does belittle those around her which negates all the other things she does positively.

You guys are doing it all wrong.

Act like your everyone's best friend and this will not happen. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, right?

If you want to get ahead, play the game. When you are an attending you can do whatever the hell you want.

That's how I roll. It has its own benefits if you're friends with everybody but don't expect too much though.. You can't be friends with everybody but you can be friends with them while at WORK.

Feel free to explain. Thanks.

Gladly, although once you spend enough time in the clinical setting, you'll see it for yourself. The classic hierarchy of the corporate world is only seen in administrative positions in the hospital/clinic.

There is a less conventional, and certainly less formal hierarchy among the clinical staff. The charge nurse in the ER is not so much a prestigious or supervisory role as it is just the person who gets stuck fighting for patient beds with the floors on that night. I've spent weeks in the clinic and never figured out who was in charge among the nurses. It's simply isn't important. All that matters is that you're cordial to one another for the benefit of the patients.

A scribe who contracts to provide a non-clinical service is not part of that heirarchy no matter how much the nurse wants him to be.

Hahaha, you know I wuv you!

Definitely don't work at U of M... I don't fulfill their pretentiousness requirement :smuggrin: JKKKKK. Yeah, it doesn't matter where I work. There are going to be malignant/toxic people at any facility you work at.

I was sort of shocked. I felt naked and exposed and thought I was gonna cry. Then I realized how FUNNY the entire thing was. I was pretty irritated for a bit though...

Some nurses, some techs, some doctors, some PAs, some NPs, some respiratory therapists, some radiology techs, some custodial staff... are all craaaay. It's a fact of life.

Don't cry. Just remember that she isn't going places like you are. I've met my share of crazy azz people from all professions and lower orders of society. Lauging it off is the best medicine. This goes for at work and out of work. :)

This weekend was the craziest in my ER. We changed computer systems, and I thought that there was going to be a murder. One of the docs refused to go to the new system and demanded that adminstration come down. It was the most insane toxic place to be in.