Playing The Game?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

locoindio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody else hate the fact that as well intentioned as we are for wanting to become doctors (most of us), we still have to play this cutthroat game of numbers to get ourselves into medical school? Or am I alone here?

Loco. One.

Members don't see this ad.

locoindio said:
Does anybody else hate the fact that as well intentioned as we are for wanting to become doctors (most of us), we still have to play this cutthroat game of numbers to get ourselves into medical school? Or am I alone here?

Loco. One.

No, you're not alone my crazy friend.

This process is completely overblown. And head-ache inducing.

Hoops, I tell you! Hoops! Jump through them and you win. Walk away, you lose.

your choice.

such a load of crappola.

Ugh. too much egg nog.

you are def not alone my friend. It blows

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatup LocoIndio,
I think we all completely agree with you, but such is life. We can't spend our time thinking about how the game is screwing us, we just have to focus, trust, and hope that things will work out (hope and trust is something this world lacks these days). Hang in there man, it'll happen. The question is not if, but when.

Best of luck to you,
Cheers,
Pagal

P.S. btw LocoIndio I know who you are and where you live...so expect a smack in the Face Or The Kneecaps :)

In general, I'd say that this 'cutthroat game of numbers' is good for society. We want the brightest minds to be taking care of our health, and the rigorous path to the MD weeds out a lot of the people who you wouldn't want operating on you.

That said, there are plenty of flaws in the system, and many potentially good doctors get screwed out of the opportunity to attend med school.

In what way is it cutthroat? So long as you can show aptitude for science, ability to work hard, and experience in the field you are entering, the process is stressful but not hard. I would say it correlates pretty well to the skills needed to be a physician.

If you think its bad now...welcome to the medical profession. Its a game the whole time. The question is, do you want to play forever?

liverotcod said:
In what way is it cutthroat? So long as you can show aptitude for science, ability to work hard, and experience in the field you are entering, the process is stressful but not hard. I would say it correlates pretty well to the skills needed to be a physician.
i completely agree. as long as YOU PERSONALLY excel at what you're doing, you can minimize the effect of competing with others.

really, though, this is pretty much par for the course in life in general. many subjective endeavors (such as selecting the next generation of physicians) are boiled down to a handful of objective criteria. otherwise, an already burdensome task would simply be an exercise in futility (well, even moreso ;) ).

locoindio said:

Loco. One.

Agreed

Yeah I agree with u, the game is full of hoops. Don't like them, but we have to play the game. We must do what we must (within reason and academic integrity) to achieve our goal. The system will be change one day, but this is the current state. A Darwinian game with a touch of modernization, perhaps not the nicest system in existence but it works. Let just hope that we survive this game, either that or we can all do DO or PharmD (a joke people, a joke :laugh: )

you're a disgrace to the profession, in the end we're all doctors, we're the same, but we have OMM and a different philosophy, that's all...(joke too, ventured into DO forum, hope someone gets it and doesn't take it seriously).

Love you all.

Bilkul,
Call me sometime, and we can hang. Get my digits from K or email me, which if you forgot the address you can also get from K. Don't you love how a simple messageboard can sound like we are trying to do espionage n ****? lol :laugh:

Cheers,
Loco

superdevil said:
i completely agree. as long as YOU PERSONALLY excel at what you're doing, you can minimize the effect of competing with others.

really, though, this is pretty much par for the course in life in general. many subjective endeavors (such as selecting the next generation of physicians) are boiled down to a handful of objective criteria. otherwise, an already burdensome task would simply be an exercise in futility (well, even moreso ;) ).[/QUOTE

I think what you guys are getting at is that you should try to compete more with yourself and not others quite as much? I totally agree. I try to do that more and more with each class and endeavour I undertake. It just troubles me that some people who could make potentially sensational physicians are cut short because of a slew of reasons (hopefully that doesn't end up being me), all of which are by products of the system. It's true that I don't want someone who hasn't had lots of experience to touch me..........let's pause for a second just bc that sentence sounds so dirty. God bless. lol. Seriously, that's true. It's just troubling.

DrYo12 said:
If you think its bad now...welcome to the medical profession. Its a game the whole time. The question is, do you want to play forever?

The medical profession has tons of avenues available to those who are willing to put in the time and the effort. Nobody's saying there's isn't some sneaky sneaky to worry about, but I really believe the pre-med process is the worst. It seems to be a consensus among a lot of my friends in med school or who are residents. I think that's probably because even the student at the bottom of your med school class......will get a residency. Not that you don't need to work hard, but a bit of the pressure is off. Once you're a resident, you're a doctor who is earning his or her keep....aka a little less pressure. Disagree? I think being the resident b*tch doctor to me doesn't really seem like much pressure even though it might demand a lot of my time. I dunno. Somebody chime in here if they agree, but I feel that once I am IN medical school, even though there will be lots of work and time expended on study, that it will all be worth it? Am I really loco for thinking that?

dr_pepper said:
In general, I'd say that this 'cutthroat game of numbers' is good for society. We want the brightest minds to be taking care of our health, and the rigorous path to the MD weeds out a lot of the people who you wouldn't want operating on you.

That said, there are plenty of flaws in the system, and many potentially good doctors get screwed out of the opportunity to attend med school.

Most of the material in med school honestly isn't that hard (compared to some of the advanced crap I took in college). It's mostly volume. I'd rather have the doctor's with the greatest common sense (and med school knowlege) and have scientists be the brightest minds, honestly. I think the process is a bit too cut-throat. Luckily it calms down a lot once people get in.

personally, i think its more about application strategy than numbers....ppl get in with 27 Mcats and 3.5's. you have to apply to the schools that are within you range and apply to a lot of schools and have a personality at the interviews........its not like im pushing anyone down to get ahead....your numbers and your mcats are already set and how you did on those depended soley on you and your efforts.......

im fighting more with the admissions committee's for a chance than with my fellow applicants. love ya'll!! :love:

I think the point is a good one--that the current culture surounding the pursuit of a medcial education is not ideal for creating healers. Yeah there's always the "toughen up, this the way is always been" party line, but that's exactly the problem--you start thinking that since you can jump through hoops that your the ****.
If we make it through all this and still don't think we're superior to others then we will have really accomplished something.

locoindio said:
The medical profession has tons of avenues available to those who are willing to put in the time and the effort. Nobody's saying there's isn't some sneaky sneaky to worry about, but I really believe the pre-med process is the worst. It seems to be a consensus among a lot of my friends in med school or who are residents. I think that's probably because even the student at the bottom of your med school class......will get a residency. Not that you don't need to work hard, but a bit of the pressure is off. Once you're a resident, you're a doctor who is earning his or her keep....aka a little less pressure. Disagree? I think being the resident b*tch doctor to me doesn't really seem like much pressure even though it might demand a lot of my time. I dunno. Somebody chime in here if they agree, but I feel that once I am IN medical school, even though there will be lots of work and time expended on study, that it will all be worth it? Am I really loco for thinking that?

Getting into the medical field as a physician is hardest at this stage of the game, ie convincing an adcom to accept you, but the game doesn't end there. Perhaps we have different perceptions of what it means to be playing a game. When you're in medical school, sure you're all going through the same thing, but those that rise to the top, ie do what they must to be lauded by the faculty, will receive better marks in clinicals, and ultimately be accepted to better residencies. Once in residency, only 'strong' residents will get the recommendation of their attendings for fellowships, clinical or academic faculty positions. You have to do things a certain way, talk to people the right way, and do the right favours for the right people to navigate your residency. After residency, you may be ready to practice, but you're still new, and have to prove yourself. Once you're not the 'new kid in town' any longer, you're going to have to keep playing the game if you want to move up in the field or if you want to benefit your patients with the best service behind-the-scenes that you can. Its all a game, locoindio...whatever stage you're at. Wanna play? ;)

Software is cutthroat, banking is cutthroat, the mineral industry is cutthroat. Medicine requires hardwork, but is far more straightforward than most of the rest of the world, esp in the US

life's a game.........so get out the gloves and get ready to play! :D

wends said:
life's a game.........so get out the gloves and get ready to play! :D

Life is more than a game. Med schools look for serious applicants, therefore the rigorous requirements. These pre-reqs will shew away many "pre-meds" as well as any other field. People change there mind in a matter of seconds, the ones who are consistent and focuses will succeed. Only the strong survive in this game.

-Billy