Please critique my study plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a practice Kaplan MCAT..and I believe I received somewhere in the 18 range. Not good, I know. This was with no studying, however.

Now that I just finished my sophomore year I am planning to take the MCAT when every one else does (Spring of my Junior year).

I am planning to start studying this summer, however I am concerned if I started to study too late. So my questions are...

1. When do most pre-meds being to study for the MCAT when they take the test spring of Junior year? (sorry if that question has been beaten to death).

2. I am planning to start my Kaplan course this summer. Should I take the course closer to my test date so it will be fresher in my mind, or is this OK?

Thank you all in advance.

P.S. I just finished Physics I over the early part of this summer. I have opted against taking Phyiscs II because of the professor and my poor grade in the class (I received a B for Physics I).

Members don't see this ad.

I may be wrong but most people spend 2 months: 1 month content review, 1 month practice exams. The practice exams are when you will really see your score start to develop.

I may be wrong but most people spend 2 months: 1 month content review, 1 month practice exams. The practice exams are when you will really see your score start to develop.
I agree. As long as you will have taken the prereqs, about 8 weeks out is a reasonable time to begin preparation.

What I'm worried about is when to take the prep course.

There is a Kaplan course starting July 15th but I'm going to be on vacation from July 15th to the 22nd. The next course at this particular location starts in October of 2008.

Is it wise to take the course closer to your MCAT date? Or further away so you have more time to self-prep?

Members don't see this ad :)
A tutor might be able to help you identify your weak points. This is critical, since if you're only reinforcing your comfort areas, you won't improve. You must be able to identify your weaknesses and know how to strengthen them.

A tutor might be able to help you identify your weak points. This is critical, since if you're only reinforcing your comfort areas, you won't improve. You must be able to identify your weaknesses and know how to strengthen them.

Thanks...but...didn't exactly answer my question...

Better to take a prep course closer to MCAT or further>?

There is one running from October to April
And one running from November to January (Possibly an accelerated course)
And the last from January to March.

Which is the better option?

You want to take the exam when you are at your peak score range on practice tests.

Kaplan tailors their courses so that you should take your MCAT very soon following the course (within a few weeks). By this time you should have already addressed all of your weaknesses. At this point, following the course, you should focus on AAMC practice tests and thoroughly reviewing them.

If you feel competent in the areas tested on the MCAT, the review course will probably be sufficient review to prepare you for the MCAT immediately following the course.

If not, take the review course earlier but ask them to extend your access to their materials. Only do this to extend your time reviewing the material in depth. You will still want to end you studies with about one month of practice tests, preferably seven to ten or more, preparing to peak before the real deal. If you are well disciplined, I would choose this option. You can always attend classes outside your schedule to suit your timeframe!

You want to take the exam when you are at your peak score range on practice tests.

Kaplan tailors their courses so that you should take your MCAT very soon following the course (within a few weeks). By this time you should have already addressed all of your weaknesses. At this point, following the course, you should focus on AAMC practice tests and thoroughly reviewing them.

If you feel competent in the areas tested on the MCAT, the review course will probably be sufficient review to prepare you for the MCAT immediately following the course.

If not, take the review course earlier but ask them to extend your access to their materials. Only do this to extend your time reviewing the material in depth. You will still want to end you studies with about one month of practice tests, preferably seven to ten or more, preparing to peak before the real deal. If you are well disciplined, I would choose this option. You can always attend classes outside your schedule to suit your timeframe!

Thank you.

As far as self-prep is concerned, when is the best time to begin? Assuming I want to take the test next spring or summer 2009. I was thinking now is a good time to start...or no?

Edit: Please.. I know these sound like silly questions, but they are truly worrying me. My friend who is studying for the LSAT berated me for having not started to study for the MCAT already (and I accordingly feel guilty). He is taking his LSAT senior year (he will be a junior in the fall) and already started his prep course and studying! Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
That's ridiculous your friend is studying for the LSAT a year out. Do not be freaked out by him - I think that's an utter waste of time. You don't even need background knowledge on the LSAT like you do on the MCAT - it's all logic puzzles and verbal.

If you have all the prereqs down, then give it two to three months of studying, three if it's been a while since you took the prereqs. Like one of the earlier posters mentioned, take the first month or so to do review of all the sciences, study flashcards, get reacquainted with the material. Spend the last three weeks to a month taking practice sections of the test and going over the answers - you'll actually learn a lot of the science concepts during that time as well (if you missed a problem, it'll stick out in your mind why). One other suggestion is to make a list of the things you missed during the practice exams - write down the concepts or formulas, and spend some extra time reviewing them.

Keep in mind that the MCAT is mostly a critical thinking test. You do have to know your physics formulas, orgo rxns, etc, but even in the bio sections, a lot of the information needed is given in the passages. Have a good science base, but more importantly, be comfortable with the passages and applying the knowledge. Good luck!

i agree with the above posters that for the most part, any studying you do prior to about two months of your test has extremely diminished returns. of course, this depends on what type of studier you are. i know people that when they test for midterms, they start really early and review the material thoroughly a couple times because that's how they learn it, through repetition. if this is the case with you, then starting really early might help since you'll have the time to review and review and review.

also, my friend's in a similar situation as to whether she was going to take the class this summer or next fall for a test next spring. i suggested to her next fall because in my mind (and in the situation of my friend), the purpose of the mcat review course is to discipline you into studying (otherwise you could just buy the material and study on your own). you really want that discipline in the two months before your mcat, as opposed to six months out, because you want all the material and strategies fresh in your mind as you're going in.