This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keychins

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, i'm like 330% sure im in the wrong forum but i dont care anymore.
currently a kinesology major at penn state with the movement science option. was previously a nursing major at drexel but decided I wanted to be a dr instead of a nurse.
now I have had a lot of interesting research on this major im currently in, and its often highly bashed. although this major does seem more towards PT school ( not completely sure that i wouldn't wanna do this) i am leaning more towards medical school. I just really didn't wanna take the tradtional bio or chem route. seemed pretty boring to me. I will still all the pre reqs needed for the mcats. so i guess my question really is : should i stay kinesology? I was thinking of minoring in biology
side note : would be the first person in my family to go into the medical industry. ( 1st gen college student in the USA, but second up )

Members don't see this ad.

You can Major in what ever you want to major in, a minor doesnt really make much of a difference so you can do it or not it doesnt really make a difference most of the times. What you need to do is NOT just take pre-requisites for the MCAT but ensure you take the pre-requisites for the medical schools you are interested in. I suggest to google some schools in your state and surrounding states and you will realize there is alot of overlap. (on a side note alot of the pre-requisites for medical schools overlap with the classes needed for what is on the MCAT and that is expected)

Side side note: If traditional bio and chem are boring to you Medical school might be a little tough because you will have to do alot of those basics. But as long as youc an ace the classes thats all that matters

oh i didn't mean boring in the sense as the classes bored me, i meant in that i didn't want to take the same mundane route everyone else does. but thanks for the advice!

I'm also a Kinesiology major. Med schools don't care you could be a creative writing major for all they care. As long as you did well in your pre-reqs and did well in the field you chose then you are fine. They also don't care about minors or double majors it doesn't benefit your med school application unless you just want it. I'm also doing research in this field and it is very interesting and you get to do cool things. Medical schools again don't necessarily put a lot of emphasis on what you are doing research in, but more emphasis on the scientific process of doing the research.