PLEASE HELP!! Caribbean Medical School or Post Bac Programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroscEYEnce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 26 years old and I am currently contemplating whether I should go straight to the Caribbean Medical School route or spend a couple years here in Post-Bac programs. I have weighed pros and cons and still I am unable to choose. I just wish I had stellar stats to get right into medical school but I don't. I calculated it and if I did the caribbean medical school route I would be 31 years old, finish medical school and be a doctor in residency. If I did the post-bac route I would spend a few years and be between 32-33 and a doctor in residency. I'm a female and I do want children eventually. I've also been hearing that it is more and more difficult for Caribbean grads to gain residency slots in the US, not sure if this is accurate information. I really need to make a quick decision but I want to make the smart decision too.

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT go Caribbean. Do a Post Bac and apply to a US medical school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your stats? You may or may not be correct about whether or not the Caribbean is even a necessary consideration.

I am 26 years old and I am currently contemplating whether I should go straight to the Caribbean Medical School route or spend a couple years here in Post-Bac programs. I have weighed pros and cons and still I am unable to choose. I just wish I had stellar stats to get right into medical school but I don't. I calculated it and if I did the caribbean medical school route I would be 31 years old, finish medical school and be a doctor in residency. If I did the post-bac route I would spend a few years and be between 32-33 and a doctor in residency. I'm a female and I do want children eventually. I've also been hearing that it is more and more difficult for Caribbean grads to gain residency slots in the US, not sure if this is accurate information. I really need to make a quick decision but I want to make the smart decision too.

Don't base this decision by age. The offshore schools have huge attrition, often add a year or two along the way before they let you sit for boards or before you are able to schedule all needed rotations, and then your odds of landing a desirable residency are going to be decreased. My bet is you would be 32-33 either way, but have far less chance of completing the program and far fewer residency prospects if you go offshore. So it really turns on the grades. If you have something salvageable, go postbac. If it's a hole too deep to dig out of, then sure, maybe offshore is your hail Mary last shot at medicine. But don't fool yourself into thinking you will be a doctor sooner. Odds are less at becoming a doctor at all, and odds are fairly high at a year being added to your schedule somewhere along the road.

From my point of view, having spent two years in a post-bac beginning at age 27, the post-bac is a better option.
Heres why -
1. Develop your research or clinical interests.
2. Feel more confident about your application to, and time during, medical school.
3. Develop personally.

If you head to the carribean, you miss out on the benefits you yourself gain from becoming an outstanding applicant - and standing with the best applicants in the field.

From my point of view, having spent two years in a post-bac beginning at age 27, the post-bac is a better option.
Heres why -
1. Develop your research or clinical interests.
2. Feel more confident about your application to, and time during, medical school.
3. Develop personally.

If you head to the carribean, you miss out on the benefits you yourself gain from becoming an outstanding applicant - and standing with the best applicants in the field.

This.

Graduated my post bacc at 26...28 now. Its a great route to go. Dont sell yourself short if you know how have what it takes to be a great applicant. And consider DO unless you absolutely NEED that MD.

Starting medical school in the Caribbean is going to place you in a precarious position once you attempt to match. The numbers are getting worse and worse, for everyone. Do the post-bacc so you at least have a state-side degree to help you.

Starting medical school in the Caribbean is going to place you in a precarious position once you attempt to match. The numbers are getting worse and worse, for everyone. Do the post-bacc so you at least have a state-side degree to help you.

Seriously. It looks like it may get much worse very soon and the first to be impacted will likely be the IMG's and FMG's. I'm pretty worried as a DO student. Check out this thread for more info:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=866276

This.

Graduated my post bacc at 26...28 now. Its a great route to go. Dont sell yourself short if you know how have what it takes to be a great applicant. And consider DO unless you absolutely NEED that MD.

Agreed! With everything everyone has said. I started my post-bac at 26 and am now done and starting med school next year. You will put yourself in a stronger position by rocking your post-bac and getting great grades and I'm sure admissions committees will admire your dedication. I understand your fear about the age and having kids, but people have kids in med school/residency all the time. Don't let fear about that hold you back.