please help! Desperately need in advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minskee28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be applying to Dental school this year, and I have a slight problem. While I was talking to my advisor, he told me that I should finish my DATs between May and June. But unfortunately, I am currently taking 21 credits right now, and biochemistry course is really preventing me from studying for DAT, which will be around May or June. Should I try to do both, even if it means to get C on biochemistry? or should I drop biochemistry and put all of my efforts into DAT? if i drop this course, this will be my first time dropping. I'm kinda scared about the fact that if I go for both biochemistry and DAT at the same time, I would end up getting bad grade on both of them (not that I'm stupid, but the course load is very heavy). So should I drop Biochemistry and start working very hard on DAT?

Currently, my status is following:

sGPA: 3.4
overall GPA: 3.6
Major: Biology
Minor: Philosophy

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not take it when you are ready? There are plenty of die hards who believe that there is magic in early applicantion, although there is not much evidence to support any bonus points given to those that are first in line.

do what you can control. BIOCHEMISTRY is very important, and since you decided to take it right before applying, put in all your effort into that class. You gpa is what you control now. DAT can be taken after you finish your semester ( mid may?). plan to take DAT end of june if possible. Do not do poorly the semester before applying, deff does not look great, especially in biochem. also, do not take a W in biochem, does not look great, esp right before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should focus on getting those good grades and doing well this semester. Put time into the DAT as well, but only as much as it doesn't interfere with your classes. Apply as soon as applications open. Take the DAT when you're ready, even if that means not having it done in June.

You'll want the best GPA and DAT you can have, those trump having your entire app in early. Under the circumstances, I'd have everything ready and in at the beginning of June. Then study my ass off and get the DAT done sometime in July.

I took biochemistry summer 2010 and applied that summer as well (September). I took my DAT in November. Still had plenty of interviews. Stick with your classes and take the DAT when you are ready. However, take it sooner than later. :luck:

Don't worry about the DAT until you have time to study for it. Doing well in Biochem will help you a ton on the DAT! When the semester is over.... study hard for it and take it by early july. This will give you plenty of time to study and your application will still be pretty early. This is what I did and I had no shortage of interview invites!

Echoing what everyone else has said, focus on your classes this semester and then start focusing solely on the DAT this summer. If you take it past June, it's not going to be the end of the world. With your stats, if you get a decent DAT of at least 19-20 on all sections, you'll be fine even if you take it as late as August. The application cycle is very long and drawn out, and it's not necessary to be first in line.