please help explain this concept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wagmanager

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone , could anybody explain why the height that the mercury attains in a barometer is independent of the cross sectional area of the tube used.I thought that the atmospheric pressure acting downwards would only be about to support a particular weight of mercury and the height that that particular amount of mercury attains is dependent on the cross sectional area of the tube.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone , could anybody explain why the height that the mercury attains in a barometer is independent of the cross sectional area of the tube used.I thought that the atmospheric pressure acting downwards would only be about to support a particular weight of mercury and the height that that particular amount of mercury attains is dependent on the cross sectional area of the tube.

I think that height change in the mercury barometer is indepedent of the cross sectional area of the barometer. And that makes sense. But think about this:

The force down on the barometer is said to be:

F = m*g
because denisity * volume = mass
F = den * volume * g
because area * height = volume
F = den * area * height * g
because F/area = Pressure
(d)Pressure = den * (d)height * g <--- important for barom. problems

(d) = delta = change

So deriving it shows us that area does not matter in terms of pressure because that's what pressure is in a sense, the amount of force on a particular area. You see what I'm trying to get at? When dealing with barometer type problems, it's the change in height that you want to find to find the change in pressure or vice versa. You will be given density and of course gravity already.

Besides the mathematical explanation, you can also think about this intuitively using the physics behind it. First, when you increase the volume of the tube, the weight of Hg increases; however, the other consequence of increased volume is increased area. This means that the pressure on the larger mass of Hg is also directly increased with volume of Hg because there is more surface area for the air to push. Second, lets make an analogy to pressure - pressure is the result of molecules hitting the surfaces of an object. You can translate the molecules into rain droplets. When it rains, meteorologists say it rained 5mm, 20mm, etc. How do they know this? They take a flask and expose it to the rain. The height of the water in the flask is used to determine the amount of rain. Here you might ask what about the size of the flask? Well, just like in the case of pressure, the diameter of the flask doesn't matter. Whether you used a test tube with with half an inch diameter or a beaker with 10 feet diameter, the height of the collected rain is going to be the same. You can think of this height as pressure because it is the accumulation of rain droplets that generated the pressure force at the bottom of the flask over time. Is the volume collected here the same? No. It will be much larger - equivalent to a larger pressure force on the larger surface area.

thanks guys so much.i'm doing chem 101 now and this came up in gases and measuring pressure. thanks again . I can see it clearly now.

Last edited: