Please Help....I'm so confused on the app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChillin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I hope everyone had a good weekend! Time to get back to life..ugh.. lol
Anyways here are my stats.. please let me know what you think.
So long story short, my cgpa is 3.31. I'm enrolled in a post-bac for this upcoming year so it will go up.How does this work on the aamc application? Like how do schools know select you for an interview without a solid GPA to account for?

I just took my MCAT yesterday. Hoping for at least a 505. I'm gonna take it one more time early August if I don't get anything around the 510s. By August I would want nothing but a 515. I know I would be able to too cause I really just messed up on P/S. I was so mad..you don't even understand.

E.C.s:
-Undergrad research- won 1 award presented 5 times (3 years)
-Non-profit clinic: 6 years - shadowed and clinically diagnosed (under a doctor ofcourse) patients
-UC Davis Internship: 3 months
-Tutor: 2 years- school and outside.
-Kaiser volunteer: 2 years (before college)

Currently looking for a job in research around the sac area.
  1. What do you think are my chances of getting in an MD school? I'm applying this cycle but idk..I feel really discouraged :( I can take a "its a bad idea.." but like what am I looking at? Which ones might I have a chance to? I didn't come from a fancy college or anything...I will have my preliminary sent out by the end of this week (awaiting my MCAT ofc).

2. What are my chances of getting into a DO school? From my research, I think it's a solid I'm gonna get in somewhere. I really wanna stay on the west coast. Where can I get info on the rankings of DO schools?

3. Whats your opinion on CNUCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Your August MCAT retake won't have the score released until September? You're taking post-bac classes to boost your GPA, but these grades aren't currently on your AMCAS, right, and likely won't be available until next year?

I guess I'm not really clear on the timing or the urgent need to apply this cycle given the above.

If you haven't sent in your primary, give some very serious thought on waiting until next cycle. Your GPA is very low for MD(might be okay for DO) but we can't give you any real advice until you have a MCAT. Many schools will decide Interviews based on your current GPA and the MCAT you took yesterday. They don't have to wait for your proposed August score. And schools won't see a possible GPA rise until January at the earliest. Think about waiting and developing the very best application possible for next cycle. You really don't want to be a reapplicant.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You sound like you're rushing things. Don't rush things.

Reactions: 4 users
I would wait to apply until next cycle. There is always the possibility that you score below 500 especially if you feel like you messed up on a section. If you had a great GPA then you would have been fine with applying this cycle. However, in order to make it to MD you need a great MCAT. If you can get at least a 505 then you should be fine for DO.

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone had a good weekend! Time to get back to life..ugh.. lol
Anyways here are my stats.. please let me know what you think.
So long story short, my cgpa is 3.31. I'm enrolled in a post-bac for this upcoming year so it will go up.How does this work on the aamc application? Like how do schools know select you for an interview without a solid GPA to account for?
They don't. Hold off and get your ducks in a row.

my cgpa is 3.31. I'm enrolled in a post-bac for this upcoming year so it will go up.How does this work on the aamc application? Like how do schools know select you for an interview without a solid GPA to account for?

I just took my MCAT yesterday. Hoping for at least a 505. I'm gonna take it one more time early August if I don't get anything around the 510s. By August I would want nothing but a 515. I know I would be able to too cause I really just messed up on P/S. I was so mad..you don't even understand.

"its a bad idea.." but like what am I looking at? Which ones might I have a chance to? I didn't come from a fancy college or anything...I will have my preliminary sent out by the end of this week (awaiting my MCAT ofc).

This sounds like a train wreck. Your GPA is probably too low for MD schools. What is your sGPA?

You waited too long to take your MCAT.
When did you graduate from college?

You want a MD school on the west coast? Not happening with those grades. What is your home state?

Is CNUCOM that for-profit med school with accreditation problems? Avoid that like the plague.

When people do post bacs, they WAIT to apply so that their grades will help them.
Do NOT submit your primary. Wait until next cycle.

I want to be part of class of 2018. I don't want to wait another year....

Your August MCAT retake won't have the score released until September? You're taking post-bac classes to boost your GPA, but these grades aren't currently on your AMCAS, right, and likely won't be available until next year?

I guess I'm not really clear on the timing or the urgent need to apply this cycle given the above.

I dont want to be part of class of 2019..I'm trying to become a doc before I die XD (jk jk) but in all honestly.. i want to be part of the class of 2018.

If you apply this cycle you will be applying with your 3.31 GPA. So unless you have a great MCAT your chances of getting in are slim to none this cycle. If I were you I would save my money and do well on the post bac. You will find out your MCAT score in a few weeks and if it's bad spend several months to prepare for the retake. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint. You don't want to be a reapplicant.

I was in a similar situation as you, since i took my MCAT later as well and I wanted to apply before I got my score back. I didn't want to wait a year either. It's very risky doing this, because your application is considered incomplete until your MCAT score shows up. Also you may end up doing bad and just wasting thousands of dollars as well. I ended up deciding to wait until the following cycle and made myself an even better candidate and I got in on my first try.

I want to be part of class of 2018. I don't want to wait another year....

You can choose to listen or not listen. Gonnif is an experienced advisor and everyone here has told you the same thing - you need to wait until your application is strong. I'm sorry you don't want to wait another year, I understand, but it's not first come first served.

Aim to take the MCAT once, and don't apply until your postbacc grades are out.

If you apply now as is this is setting yourself up to fail. You will get no interviews whatsoever and waste hundreds of dollars and a year of your time. Spend that time instead focusing on the MCAT and postbacc and accept that you need to wait for next year or even the year after to apply. This is not a sprint, and you won't be too old, blah blah blah.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I dont want to be part of class of 2019..I'm trying to become a doc before I die XD (jk jk) but in all honestly.. i want to be part of the class of 2018.

Then why bother asking for help. You seem to know what you want to do so go ahead and see how it all works out for you.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
and if you apply, dont get in, which is likely, what then? Now you will be a reapplicant with reduced chances,

^^ This!

Seriously. Your wants are irrelevant when your chances are low. Being a reapplicant is going to hurt you more. Don't apply now.

This is harsh, and I apologize, but if you're going to be impulsive and immatute, then likely that will come thru either in your app or your interview.

You asked for help. Do you really want help? Or do you want us to tickle your ears and tell you, go for it?

Someday, if you ever become a doctor, imagine you have some young patient stomping their foot and saying: "but I want to be healed now, not after treatment."

Last edited: