Please help: Is a second gap year necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCraig

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
looks solid so far, but as you mentioned, you'd receive more helpful feedback with an mcat score.

did you shadow an MD/DO or PA? if the latter, would recommend shadowing a physician.

taking an additional gap year to strengthen your application will not be detrimental.

Reactions: 1 user
Before I begin, I want to congratulate you on such a great academic stat and extracurriculars already under your belt and the fact that you decided to switch your career path is very brave of you.
Any gap year, whether it's 1 or 5, will not be a disadvantage (assuming you don't just spend those years sitting around and doing literally nothing) because it shows that you are determined to become a doctor and that you have taken the time to solidify your decision to go to medical school. In your circumstance I think it puts you at a tremendous advantage. I think most medical schools prefer mature, more experienced applicants than ones who are fresh out of college in the first place (if both have the exact same application).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Before I begin, I want to congratulate you on such a great academic stat and extracurriculars already under your belt and the fact that you decided to switch your career path is very brave of you.
Any gap year, whether it's 1 or 5, will not be a disadvantage (assuming you don't just spend those years sitting around and doing literally nothing) because it shows that you are determined to become a doctor and that you have taken the time to solidify your decision to go to medical school. In your circumstance I think it puts you at a tremendous advantage. I think most medical schools prefer mature, more experienced applicants than ones who are fresh out of college in the first place (if both have the exact same application).

Thank you very much for your input! I honestly feel more motivated with my decision to pursue medical school than I ever did with pursuing PA school. I think waiting to apply will ultimately allow me to continue my volunteer work while acquiring more shadowing hours under a physician. Do you think research experience is needed before I apply to medical school next year?

Thank you very much for your input! I honestly feel more motivated with my decision to pursue medical school than I ever did with pursuing PA school. I think waiting to apply will ultimately allow me to continue my volunteer work while acquiring more shadowing hours under a physician. Do you think research experience is needed before I apply to medical school next year?

If you like research, then do it. But don't just do research for the sake of looking good on the application. Especially when doing research for only a year will probably not give you the opportunity to publish (so you're just wasting your time). It also depends on which schools you want to go to. For example, my school at Geisinger Commonwealth (used to be TCMC) is not a research-heavy school and many of my classmates do not have any research experience. There are many other things that you can do with the extra year. I would say in addition to continuing on your volunteer work, shadow more types of specialties (I see that you have 40 hours in one specialty), get more clinical volunteer hours, etc. Do you know what specialty you want to go into?

As you already know, whether or not you're ready to apply will depend on your MCAT. The rest of your application, however, looks perfectly fine! It's okay if it's "too average"; you may not be a shoe-in for the likes of Harvard or Hopkins, if you score 515+, you'll likely get plenty of MD interview invitations.

If you took an additional year to do more research, volunteer, shadow, etc, it would further strengthen your application. It would allow for more time and flexibility for the MCAT as well. Ultimately, I don't think it's necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. I took 2 gaps years, and I'm bored out of my mind and I just can't wait for school to finally start. I wish I were ready to apply after only one gap year, but my application simply wasn't ready. I think you're in better shape than I was!

As you already know, whether or not you're ready to apply will depend on your MCAT. The rest of your application, however, looks perfectly fine! It's okay if it's "too average"; you may not be a shoe-in for the likes of Harvard or Hopkins, if you score 515+, you'll likely get plenty of MD interview invitations.

If you took an additional year to do more research, volunteer, shadow, etc, it would further strengthen your application. It would allow for more time and flexibility for the MCAT as well. Ultimately, I don't think it's necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. I took 2 gaps years, and I'm bored out of my mind and I just can't wait for school to finally start. I wish I were ready to apply after only one gap year, but my application simply wasn't ready. I think you're in better shape than I was!

What did you do during your two gap years?

You bring up valid points. I probably shouldn't waste my time with research. Right now, the main focus is conquering the MCAT, which will require a lot of studying. My biggest reservation is the fact that I won't be ready to take it until mid summer. I won't be applying until late July.. I mean I could get verified before then, but I still have to wait for the scores. I feel rushed, and I simply don't want them to think I rushed to get everything in for the sake of looking competitive. No, I am not sure which specialty that I want to go into.

I'm gonna play devils advocate:

You should never apply without knowing your MCAT score.

You shouldn't rush your MCAT studying.

You should apply early and broadly. Both of which will be difficult without having an MCAT score or a verified app.

I'm sure an adcom will hop in on this thread and give you better guidance, but my gut answer is to say this:

Take the extra year, get some service experience with the underserved (homeless, poor, old) in a non-clinical way. Study hard for the MCAT and rock it. preferably take it in February-April. that way your scores will come out by May at the latest and you have a month to make a targeted school list. From there you can apply as soon as the primary is available and you'll have an edge.

Best of luck!

You bring up valid points. I probably shouldn't waste my time with research. Right now, the main focus is conquering the MCAT, which will require a lot of studying. My biggest reservation is the fact that I won't be ready to take it until mid summer. I won't be applying until late July.. I mean I could get verified before then, but I still have to wait for the scores. I feel rushed, and I simply don't want them to think I rushed to get everything in for the sake of looking competitive. No, I am not sure which specialty that I want to go into.
You do yourself a disservice applying late but there are very few bumps in this admissions process a stellar mcat score can't make up for especially with a gpa that high. n=1 but my app was submitted in june, verified in july, my mcat score came in end of September - still ended up with 10 interviews. You can take the year if you like, but I don't think you need to. Give up your life for the next ~3 months and you just might be able to get the mcat score you want.

I personally think you need more research experience. Whether you enjoy it or not, medical schools and some residencies shove research down your throat. It has become a de-facto requirement nowadays. You don't necessarily need to have a publication, but medical schools like to see meaningful involvement in a project (involved enough that you truly understand the project and can talk intelligently about it at length).

I would;
You can do more non-clinical volunteering, more research, spend more time studying the MCAT for a top score, etc.

I just recently decided to pursue medical school over PA school. I decided medical school is a better choice for me because I have the time and work ethic to dedicate another 4 years to school, I love science (bio health science major, here) and I don't see myself switching specialties like many do with the PA field.

I have decent stats. My current stats are listed below:

3.90 cGPA; 3.8 sGPA

250 non-clinical volunteer hours - - - breaks down like this: 120 at my local hospital charity, 100 hours Habitat for Humanity; 30 hours Lion's Club

75 clinical volunteer hours - - - Remote Area Medical

Paid Clinical Experience - - - 450 hours as a CNA in a long term care facility

Paid Non-Clinical Experience - - - 700 hours as an undergraduate teaching assistant

Shadowing - - - 40 hours in one specialty

Decent Personal Statement

Decent LORs

Research - - - 90 hours during undergrad doing PCR & gel electrophoresis. Not super meaningful, but helped reinforced my science courses, so I would like to include it on my application

The bad news: I have't taken the MCAT yet. I plan to start studying in about a week. (I'm finishing up my job as a CNA right now.) I know it's hard to say without MCAT scores, but do you think my application looks too average?

I'm contemplating on taking another gap year to strengthen my application in respect to volunteer, research, and shadowing hours, but also to allow myself time to thoroughly study for the MCAT without having to apply so late in the game. There is also a shadowing program that I would like to attend this summer and a cadaver lab course this fall that I think would help tremendously down the road with gross anatomy. What do you think? Any feedback is much appreciated.

For reference, I graduated in December 2016. If I apply next year in 2018, I won't start medical school until 2019. Will this weaken my application if I do take a second gap year since I will have been out of school for so long?

Thanks!
Call me at 757 377 7775. I may be able to tell you how the Committee thinks. H.E.Butler M.D., F.A.C.S.

Don’t rush the MCAT. Study your face off, it can make or break your already strong record. In that year, pursue whatever interests you most. Good luck!