PLEASE HELP MD APPS (desperate af and very lost!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username4717

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am currently a 3rd year, Asian female at a top 20 undergrad in California. At the end of this semester, I will have AMCAS cGPA of 3.763 and sGPA of 3.633. I have extensive shadowing experience, interned for my state's UNOS organization, volunteered at a hospital (until the program got terminated due to COVID), am involved in 5 campus organizations doing medical work/health education for underserved pops both in the US and internationally (on the executive board for 3 of them). Recently got involved with research doing data analytics for a public health institute at my university (was not able to join earlier because undergrads were not allowed to start during the pandemic). I also serve as a general chemistry supplemental instruction leader. I am currently interviewing for medical scribe positions and (hopefully) I can start working in one of them in the next couple of weeks.

My main concerns are that a lot of the clinical opportunities I was involved in only just started opening back up, which took away a year and a half of time for me. I'm going to take advantage of what I have now by getting super involved with research, shadowing, and volunteering; however, IDK if i should apply!!!! WAMC?

My #1 choices are my in-state schools, LSU New Orleans and LSU Shreveport. I am taking the MCAT for the first time in a week and will likely get around a 510. Is my predicted score too low for my gpa and cirumstances? Should I not apply this cycle?
Also, I already have rec letters secured from 3 didactic science professors + 1 from my employer. Plus, I have some underlying chronic health conditions that have really been in the way, and I can comment about them.

PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE NEVER FELT SO LOST xo

Members don't see this ad.

What makes you say you will likely get a 510?

A lot of the wise individuals on here wont give you a hypothetical answer. You need to take the MCAT and ask for a list when you get your score back. Goodluck!

Reactions: 4 users
If you get a 510 and are instate for the Lousiana schools you should be totally fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine but we need you to nail the MCAT. That said, many applicants have gotten in some limited virtual experience over the past year. I cannot compare versus the applicant pool in Louisiana but I guess you need to contact the schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You should be fine but we need you to nail the MCAT. That said, many applicants have gotten in some limited virtual experience over the past year. I cannot compare versus the applicant pool in Louisiana but I guess you need to contact the schools.
What would you say would be a good MCAT score for me? And should I contact the schools explaining the situation due to COVID/asking what they expect of applicants? thank you so much!!!

What would you say would be a good MCAT score for me? And should I contact the schools explaining the situation due to COVID/asking what they expect of applicants? thank you so much!!!
The things is everyone in the world has been impacted by the pandemic in some way. Including thousands of premed students. Yet many of these students forged ahead and have developed very competitive applications. Schools might give a like leeway to applicants but they really don’t have to because they will have hundreds if not thousands of well qualified applicants that have the expected activities. You haven’t taken the MCAT, you are lacking in clinical experiences, I’m not sure what kind of shadowing you have(is it medical?) and I really can’t tell about your nonclinical volunteering( how much you have and what it is; it should be in the US focusing on the unserved/underserved in your community).
Are you really ready to apply? It seems like a gap year or two might be a good idea. You want to give yourself the best possible shot at acceptance and you do that by building a stellar application.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
The things is everyone in the world has been impacted by the pandemic in some way. Including thousands of premed students. Yet many of these students forged ahead and have developed very competitive applications. Schools might give a like leeway to applicants but they really don’t have to because they will have hundreds if not thousands of well qualified applicants that have the expected activities. You haven’t taken the MCAT, you are lacking in clinical experiences, I’m not sure what kind of shadowing you have(is it medical?) and I really can’t tell about your nonclinical volunteering( how much you have and what it is; it should be in the US focusing on the unserved/underserved in your community).
Are you really ready to apply? It seems like a gap year or two might be a good idea. You want to give yourself the best possible shot at acceptance and you do that by building a stellar application.
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply!! I take the MCAT this Saturday. My shadowing has been with doctors (pediatrics, dermatology, gastroenterology). I have also shadowed at my state's organ donation agency, so I have been able to work with transplant/tissue surgeons and other medical staff that work with organ donation/procurement. In terms of my volunteering, I have executive board positions in an organization that provides holistic medical care for individuals experiencing homelessness (2 years), an org that teaches health education in underserved high schools in LA weekly (3 years), an org that is working on an initiative to provide menstrual products and education in India (2 years), an org that provides free medical clinics monthly in Tijuana (2 years), an org that provides free glucose and blood pressure testing in LA (1.5 years), and an org that mentors underprivileged high school students for college admissions (1 year). I have also volunteered at a hospital, a service through which I make weekly companionship phone calls to an elderly woman, and at COVID-19 vaccination sites in my city. I am currently applying/interviewing for medical scribe positions, and I am doing some virtual medical shadowing (just started, have not done much yet but will do a lot after my MCAT and get certifications). My GPA is not that high (cGPA: 3.70), but I go to a competitive undergrad and have underlying chronic health conditions that I will write about. A lot of my worse grades occurred in a period of time where I was struggling with balancing my health and school. What do you think? Thanks again!!! Feel very lost and desperate for advice :)

I’m not sure why you keep saying you”feel very lost and desperate for advice !” You have a perfectly average GPA (for matriculated students);and a mishmash of activities. You don’t have a MCAT score but you will. So what’s your question? Why are you lost and desperate?
One thing I would suggest is you need to start writing and filling in your AMCAS. You don’t seem to have a theme . You might but I don’t see it( might be me). Hopefully you have a story of how you got to this point. Once the MCAT is done you need to start organizing your stuff so you get your application completed. You have a lot to do and it can’t be done quickly. This is your opportunity to share yourself with medical schools and it has to be perfect.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users