Please help me decide between these two...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenna-bush

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am currently a nurse and am taking pre-med classes to go to med school.

Background info:
I have the current classes under my belt, and am looking at taking the beginning of the summer 2018:
Intro to psych
Developmental psych
Anatomy and physiology 1 and 2
Microbiology
Gen chem 1 and 2
Org chem 1 and 2
Genetics
Cell bio
Gen physics 1 and 2
Gen bio
I will be taking biochem 1 next semester.

It has been 4 yrs since my A&P, psych, and microbiology classes. So I will need a good amount of refreshing in those areas.

I was looking for an online tutoring prep course. I do well in the self-study arena, but I enjoy the structure and direction that a lecture/student-teacher type setting has. I have set a budget of no more than $6000 for
Question:
For the revamped mcat, which prep course should I go for? Which prep course accurately represents the 2016/2017 mcat? I am looking for a prep with a good combination of thorough content and tests that accurately portrays the newest mcat tests. Test-taking strategies would be nice, but not my concern, as I have taken numerous standardized tests over my academic career.
I have really done some research on this site before posting this thread (as there are a ton of these threads). But none fully addressed my questions.
Through research, I have gievn up on TPR, because they go too much in detail. I have narrowed it down to kaplan and next step prep.
Which one would you guys think would be the best fit for me? Please help me!
Your time is really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

For practice exams i thought Next step were right on the money for how the real test feels

also do not take TPR practice tests they are content based and didnt reflect the real test in my opinion

6000 for mcat prep? that's a lot. Prep-courses all kind of suck. Just study on your own and focus on doing questions rather than content review.

Reactions: 1 user
@theonlytycrane i was leaning more towards the self-study, but IDK. Which books should I go with? Searching has told me that Kaplan is a popular choice to go with, but no one has said anything about next step prep books?

Any one have any input on NSP books for self study? Are they any good?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to know everything then I think Kaplan or TBR. TBR has a TON of passages which might be helpful if you have a long time to study. They are also the most expensive though and if you want to order them new you have to do it by mail (don't ask me why).

I used TBR, knew a lot of stuff i didnt need to know but got a score that was worth all of the trouble

Hi guys! I am currently a nurse and am taking pre-med classes to go to med school.

Background info:
I have the current classes under my belt, and am looking at taking the beginning of the summer 2018:
Intro to psych
Developmental psych
Anatomy and physiology 1 and 2
Microbiology
Gen chem 1 and 2
Org chem 1 and 2
Genetics
Cell bio
Gen physics 1 and 2
Gen bio
I will be taking biochem 1 next semester.

It has been 4 yrs since my A&P, psych, and microbiology classes. So I will need a good amount of refreshing in those areas.

I was looking for an online tutoring prep course. I do well in the self-study arena, but I enjoy the structure and direction that a lecture/student-teacher type setting has. I have set a budget of no more than $6000 for
Question:
For the revamped mcat, which prep course should I go for? Which prep course accurately represents the 2016/2017 mcat? I am looking for a prep with a good combination of thorough content and tests that accurately portrays the newest mcat tests. Test-taking strategies would be nice, but not my concern, as I have taken numerous standardized tests over my academic career.
I have really done some research on this site before posting this thread (as there are a ton of these threads). But none fully addressed my questions.
Through research, I have gievn up on TPR, because they go too much in detail. I have narrowed it down to kaplan and next step prep.
Which one would you guys think would be the best fit for me? Please help me!
Your time is really appreciated!

Man I thought the $300 or so I spent on my prep was a lot. I self studied using the TPR books and frankly I think if you're focused and have an outlined plan this approach works for most people; only seems to not when students struggle with just comprehending the passages and basic approachs to the questions. In terms of content prep, this works IMO.

@theonlytycrane i was leaning more towards the self-study, but IDK. Which books should I go with? Searching has told me that Kaplan is a popular choice to go with, but no one has said anything about next step prep books?

Any one have any input on NSP books for self study? Are they any good?

The Kaplan set is solid, and their biochem book is good. The books contain both relevant and extra information though- so getting down the key concepts and focusing on practice problems/passages early on is the most helpful.