@@@@ Please help me decide where to attend: Marq/Louis/Mich/Pitt/Case @@@@

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds2013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
God has blessed me with the opportunity to get to pick a dental school. I have been to 6 interviews so far, and have 2 scheduled for February (Pitt and Case). I was fortunate to get accepted at all 6 schools I interviewed at, but I am only interested in attending 3 of those 6. I withdrew my application from the 3 other schools. Now I am having a very difficult decision on where I should go from the 3 schools I have been accepted to and the 2 schools I have interviews at very soon.

Attached you will find a table of data regarding all the 5 schools I am interested in attending. I would love to have the input of my follow SDNers in helping me decide where I should go. I will make my decision probably on Monday and then personally go and hand the school my check.

The advice I have read and received from SDN has been apart of every decision I have made throughout my path into dental school. I know that there are a million threads like this going on right now, and I know it’s hard for everyone to respond to each one. But if you have the time to do so, it would be greatly appreciated on the long run. Also, please refrain from just telling me the school I should attend, I need advice on why I should choose that school. These 5 schools are very excellent, which is why sometimes I wish I would not have had to make this decision.

Thanks for your input and advice,
dds2013

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Data on schools of interest.doc
    34 KB · Views: 306
just from looking at the attachment it looks like your leaning towards Louisville. I always feel that when you face a tough decision you always are leaning towards a certain decision even if its subconsciously. And from reading the attachment you seem to be leaning there at least out of the schools that you have interviewed at.

It depends how you weight each area in your table. If diversity is only a small issue for you then Marquette seems like the best choice. If all data fields are of equal importance it seems like Louisville is the best option. If name is the most important then off your rating scales Michigan would be the most important. Determine what's important to you but the fact that Louisville has nothing in negative, in your mind, seems to be pretty telling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you want to add this to your list or not but one thing that stood out for me when I interviewed at Louisville was how happy the students seemed. I'm very content with my decision to go Louisville. They want you to be an excellent clinician when you graduate so they will give you a lot of chair time. The staff really is as nice as they seemed during the interview.

Based on your document of pros and cons, I also think you are leaning towards Louisville. That seems to be the best choice for you.

While Marquette and Pitt are great schools, they are definitely limited in diversity, which is a huge con for me (and for you it seems).

Louisville also seems to provide as good or better clinical experience as the others you listed.

Why do you think Michigan doesn't have a great clinical experience?

Why do you think Michigan doesn't have a great clinical experience?
Basically, because of its location. Ann Arbor is far away from any of the major Metro Detroit or Detroit population and students and professors are too rich to let some students do their dental works. I was rejected by them, but I would guess patient pool would be pretty small.

First off, I love your chart. :) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If you want to stay close to home and you don't mind not being in a diverse population, I'd go with Marquette. But like the others said, you seem to lean towards Louisville because there are no real cons that stand out in your mind so I think you'll be happiest at Louisville. Personally if I was in your shoes and I had a choice of going to a school where I'd either A) be close to family and at a so so school that has con's in my eyes or B) be far from family and at a school that has no con's I'd go to the school B because that school will make me happy being there despite being far from my family... btw I'm really really close to my family so it would be a tough decision, but I'd go to school B where I'd be most happy and it looks the best to me. Good luck in your decision!!!!

I agree with all the above posters. 15k over 4 years isn't a significant cost different especially if Louisville diversity is appealing to you. Although l'ville is 3 more hours away from home, it really isn't that big of a deal since you will not be going home that much. Both seem to have smaller class sizes. Go where you will be most comfortable, I cannot judge you just from a word document, but it looks like you want to attend Louisville!

Marquette actually does have some research opportunities (I am currently working closely with a few dentists at the school on biofilms), but it is not stressed as highly as other schools. Just thought you may find this helpful :) Also since I am currently an undergrad @ MU I can tell you that it is an AWESOME school and you will definitely be well prepared to be a great dentist (of course I'm a bit biased!). Good luck!

Lookin at your table, I must agree with everyone else who say Louisville is the choice your leaning too. It seems your most comfortable with that school and like someone said, your subconsciously choosing that school. Save your self a few hundred bucks from attending other interviews, and buy an xbox or something nice with that money :D lol

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I have narrowed down my list to 2 schools. So, please help me decide now.

Case:
I forgot to mention one of their pros: they have a P/F grading system. However, their PBL is something that I feel is very risky. I will start asking myself: do I need to know this? How is this relevant to dentistry? Will something like this be on the NBDEs? I think that I would have a much better learning experience throughout the 4 years when I have a professor teaching the material, and pointing out what is important and how to apply what we learn. PBL is the big deterrent for me wanting to attend Case, even with the advantage of their P/F grading system. Hence, Case is eliminated.

Michigan:
UM has a great program, but many believe that aside from their great research expenditures, they are really only known for their name. Having met many doctors (MDs DMDs, PharmDs), I have come to accept something: the name of a school is not very important!!! I know this from personal experience (taking my parents and siblings to many different doctors and dentists). What’s important on the long run is the work you do. I have doubts on what I would benefit by going to UM since I will not be very involved in a lot of research because of the hefty school work. Hence, UM has been eliminated

Pittsburgh:
I have not interviewed at Pittsburgh, my interview is in February. Since I do not have to make a decision until March (schools give us 30 after acceptance to put deposit), I am not going to consider Pittsburgh as of right now. Hence, lets leave Pittsburgh out of the discussion for right now.

***This leaves Louisville vs. Marquette that I am seriously considering, and that I need to make a decision on by January 15***

Louisville:
As I said, Louisville is well rounded. They have a good didactic program, good clinical program, and good research opportunities.

Marquette:
Marquette has the best facilities and the best clinical experience I have seen so far, hands down!!! The lack of diversity is not an issue for me, it’s just that when I made the chart, I sat down and really tried to think of the positives and negatives of each school. Diversity was just something that popped in my head. But, like I said, it’s not a major issue. The only real negative for me regarding Marquette is whether I will have the opportunity to do some research (as I mentioned, d-school does not allow students to do a lot of research because of their work loads), in order to be a competitive applicant if I decide to get into a specialty.

Louisville vs. Marquette:
- Both schools have the same number of entering D1 students
- Both cost about the same (I’m out of state for Louisville)
- Both schools have excellent clinical components
- Both schools have excellent students, faculty, and staff.
- Louisville has a lot of research, Marquette does not have much research
- Louisville has 6 specialties (endo, ortho, GPR, OMFS, pedo, perio), Marquette has 4 specialties (endo, ortho, AEGD, prostho)
- Louisville is public & Marquette is religious private
- Louisville is 5 hours away from home & Marquette is only 2 hours

I mentioned the specialties because rumors were flying around saying that when the boards go P/F, specialty directors will start to accept more students from their own schools (because it will be harder for them to determine who is the best applicant outside of their school). I doubt that it will come to this point, but it was just something sticking in the back of my head.

So, what do you guys suggest now: Louisville or Marquette?

Marguette:thumbup:

It is beautiful campus!

I have no doubt that you will get great clinic education at there.

Their clinical environment was impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Marquette. Honestly if you want to specialize and feel you need more research experience you can get involved in research right away and I can tell you first hand that the faculty you will work with are really great people as well as amazing teachers (besides their topics of research are very interesting such as creating/modifying computer programs to better identify individuals of crime by dental records, the effect of biofilms in pros., etc.) Besides, you can be my classmate! YAY! :woot:

I say Marquette! And I'll definitely be contributing to at least some diversity... :laugh:

Wow! Marquette got so much love on SDN!!! Does anyone else have any other input?

I loved Louisville on my interview and I just loved everythLousiville ing about the school. I agree with previous posts that you still seems to be leaning toward Louisville even by the way your like " lots of love for Marquette". It seems like you really want to specialize or at least have the oppurtunity. Louisville has a lot of research oppurtunities and it is always easier to get into a speciality program when you already go to the school because they already know who you are.

You seem to love Louisville as much as I do. Id say go there. Both are great schools and you will probably be happy either place but Louisville seems to be where you want to go. I would recommend talking to some Louisville students about it because everyone with previous posts from Louisville absolutely loved the school as well. I would just say go with your gut over everyone's opinions because I have yet to read a convincing reason for either school.

If you have any specific questions PM me and I'll help you out the best I can.

Thank you everyone for all the advice and support, especially for the members who sent me PMs. All this is greatly appreciated. I took today and tomorrow off in order to just sit down and think about this. I'll most likely make the decision middle of next week, and then mail the deposit over night with tracking and signature. Again, thank you.

general Q... u said Case has a very large class size... but its only 20 more than teh others.

Do you thikn thats significant enough to be detrimental? I am asking just to look for opinions if, generally, people think it takes away from your learning.

general Q... u said Case has a very large class size... but its only 20 more than teh others.

Do you thikn thats significant enough to be detrimental? I am asking just to look for opinions if, generally, people think it takes away from your learning.

I'm confused. I did not say that Case has a large class size. Case has 76 D1 students; Marq 80; Louis 82; Pitt 80; UM 105.

The major reason why i'm going to pull my app from Case is because of their PBL, that is actually the main reason!!!

Plz let me know if you have any other Qs.

I'm confused. I did not say that Case has a large class size. Case has 76 D1 students; Marq 80; Louis 82; Pitt 80; UM 105.

The major reason why i'm going to pull my app from Case is because of their PBL, that is actually the main reason!!!

Plz let me know if you have any other Qs.

Sorry I meant michigan. You said the con was the large class size? I guess I just feel like 20 more students doesn't make a huge diff... but maybe i dont get it. Perhaps if the physical space at the school is limited it may? Or # of patients?

So many things to say but I would agree with a lot of people and say Louisville is the best choice

Louisville has so many great things about it, Congratulations!

Pros: 1. Well rounded school (good clinic experience, good research opportunities)

2.When I interviewed at Louisville was how happy the students seemed. I'm very content with my decision to go Louisville. They want you to be an excellent clinician when you graduate so they will give you a lot of chair time. The staff really is as nice as they seemed during the interview.

3. Louisville is public

4. Louisville has 6 specialties

Cons: Nothing I can think of

Sorry I meant michigan. You said the con was the large class size? I guess I just feel like 20 more students doesn't make a huge diff... but maybe i dont get it. Perhaps if the physical space at the school is limited it may? Or # of patients?

You are right. 20 extra students is not a big difference, i just wanted to look at all the aspects of the school, thats all. If the class size was big, i'm pretty sure SDNers would have mentioned it (like NYU, 230 students... :thumbdown:)

Last edited:
so where did you choose????

i am going crazy!!! I still have not decided. :eek: I think that i am going to put a deposit at both schools (~$2000 total). I am going to send the deposits in the mail shortly.

Its been really hard for me. I think that getting a couple more months to think about this will be worth it on the long run.

thank you everyone for your continued support as well as your interest in knowing my decision.

Last edited:
CASE!!! They have one of the BEST sim labs in the country!!! I've met the dean from the school and he showed our students what it looks like. It's amazingly ridiculus!! I would LOVE to go there.

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I have narrowed down my list to 2 schools. So, please help me decide now.

Marquette:
Marquette has the best facilities and the best clinical experience I have seen so far, hands down!!! The lack of diversity is not an issue for me, it's just that when I made the chart, I sat down and really tried to think of the positives and negatives of each school. Diversity was just something that popped in my head. But, like I said, it's not a major issue. The only real negative for me regarding Marquette is whether I will have the opportunity to do some research (as I mentioned, d-school does not allow students to do a lot of research because of their work loads), in order to be a competitive applicant if I decide to get into a specialty.

Louisville vs. Marquette:
- Both schools have the same number of entering D1 students
- Both cost about the same (I'm out of state for Louisville)
- Both schools have excellent clinical components
- Both schools have excellent students, faculty, and staff.
- Louisville has a lot of research, Marquette does not have much research
- Louisville has 6 specialties (endo, ortho, GPR, OMFS, pedo, perio), Marquette has 4 specialties (endo, ortho, AEGD, prostho)
- Louisville is public & Marquette is religious private
- Louisville is 5 hours away from home & Marquette is only 2 hours

I mentioned the specialties because rumors were flying around saying that when the boards go P/F, specialty directors will start to accept more students from their own schools (because it will be harder for them to determine who is the best applicant outside of their school). I doubt that it will come to this point, but it was just something sticking in the back of my head.

So, what do you guys suggest now: Louisville or Marquette?
I think your in favor of Marquette, so I would say go to Marquette. I highly doubt that if you approached a faculty memeber at Marquette and stated your desire to take part in research, that they would tell you no. So not being able to do research should not be a worry. And you say want to do a lot of research (I'm assuming several projects), I can tell you from experience that research takes a lot of time (your thinking about specializing = studying around the clock to stay on top of your class) and the likely hood of you having done multiple projects( 3 or more) in conjuction with your dental school work (At any school) is slim. I think its a matter of the quality of research done(Research that pertains to the specialty your trying to get into), even if you only did one project. Simply your time and effort to take part in research, despite having many other endeavors, is a plus towards getting into specialty programs, and not so much as how much. Best of luck in whatever decision you make, both are great schools!

Last edited: